HX Effects help

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
OK, folks...got some random behaviour that's almost certainly a lack of understanding on my part. I've got an HX Effects, which I've set up (via the Command Centre) in stomp mode so that the switches do this:

<stomp> <stomp> <snap 4>
<snap 1> <snap 2> <snap 3>

My problem is that pressing any of the snapshot switches sometimes switches to the snapshot, but sometimes - randomly - it just pre-selects it (don't really know what to call it) and I have to hit it a second time to actually switch to that snapshot.

What on earth have I done wrong here?
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Are you running 3.11? I've never tried this before, but it's working for me (I think). Nice combination of snapshots and pedal in the Stomp view. 

In Command Center each button is set up as follows:
    Command: HX Snapshot
    Type: Press/Release
    Press: Snapshot n
    Release: None

My general parameter for Snapshots is for the Snapshot mode to be latched rather than momentary, but as I'm in Stomp view that seems neither here nor there. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    edited May 2021
    Yep - running 3.11 and that's exactly how I've got it set up.

Argh.

When I press a button sometimes, it displays the parameters for the stomp or snapshot in question, instead of switching to the snapshot. It seems like it wants me to edit the thing, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for. What I can't get over is the randomness of it.

So, basically, if I want to do this live I have to look at the HX FX, hit the button, look at it again to see if it's actually done anything, and then hit the button again if necessary. That seems bonkers, and I can't believe that it's supposed to work like this.
    <space for hire>
    OK, it turns out that there's data relating to switch behaviour that's stored in presets that isn't visible to the user. At someone's prompting on Facebook, I rebuilt the preset from a blank, and it works perfectly.

That's bloody terrible design, having preset information that the user can't access which directly affects the unit's function. I honestly thought Line 6 were much better than that.
    <space for hire>
    Can you tell me, too, please? In case I get it some other time. Ta! 
    edited May 2021
    No, that's literally it - apparently, when you edit an existing factory preset, there's a bunch of switch behaviours in there which you can't view or overwrite, so if you try to add behaviours in the Command Centre it merges that with the existing behaviour, and so you get weird shit happening all over the place.

The only way to fix it was to copy a blank preset over the top of it, and rebuilt my preset.

I'm actually pretty angry about it. I've wasted a whole day trying to get this shit working, when I was supposed to be building my pedalboard and rewiring the rack. Now it's pissing it down outside, so I can't do any of the woodwork or spraying that I was planning to...and I've got rehearsal on Thursday, when all of this has to be ready.

All because somebody at Line 6 couldn't be arsed to fix an obvious problem.
    <space for hire>
    Blimey! I've been lucky, then, as the first thing I did when I bought mine (some time ago, now) was overwrite all the factory presets with a blank template cos I didn’t like them much. Ta for the explanation. 
  • KasalicKasalic Frets: 12
    That does seem stupid, especially if you like a preset and decide to tweak it. Thankfully I started all mine from scratch, manually recreating the settings from another patch if I wanted a starting point, but that’s just the way I work. Completely different issue, but Draytek business routers have a similar problem where something gets changed/corrupted over time and you have to wipe/reset the unit and reprogram. So I got into the habit of starting from scratch if I was making major changes for a client. I guess that is why I prefer to start everything from a blank preset :)
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137
    I had a similar problem with an HX Stomp. In one of the presets (and only one), on snapshot mode the buttons didn’t seem to work, and one was working as a footswitch randomly. I managed to get it fixed by copying the whole preset over to a blank one (where it worked fine).

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm so relieved I don't own the Helix.
    Sounds a right shemozzle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom