New amp incoming - can you guess? Now with pics on page 2

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 5634
edited May 9 in Amps
Managed to snag one in good nick for a good price (well, ish. More than I'd maybe like, but worth it...).

Some clues:
Made in Britain I think... But hard to confirm.
Old. But not necessarily vintage? 
I think... No one on here has one.
Most people on here won't like it. 
It's a very "me" amp.
Has an effects loop. Forced to engage it otherwise it doesn't work, which is a common fault that should be fixable with some switch cleaner...
May need some caps replacing. 
Has a reverb tank.
1x12 celestion. And a very nice speaker it is, too! 

Pretty excited about this one. It is, in almost every way, a significant downgrade from my beautiful handwired vox, but it frees up some cash for me and gives me something really quite exciting to play with. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 54638
    Laney Linebacker

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 5634
    ICBM said:
    Laney Linebacker
    A fine guess. Great value, well made and loud as balls.

But not a laney linebacker. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 3967
    edited May 4
    Line 6 Spider?   

Ironheart?
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 4303
    Solid state or valve?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Carlsbro Cobra

Trace Elliot Super Tramp

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

equalsql said:
    Solid state or valve?

Solid state! 
    ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Carlsbro Cobra

Trace Elliot Super Tramp

Also good efforts. 

Not enough gold. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 12764
    Award Session?
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    Award Session?

Apparently well made, but I have never heard one in the flesh sound all that good...

I have tried this amp in a store before and really liked it - but did not buy because "no toobz". Now I am older and wiser, and need to free up some funds! 
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2308
    edited May 4
    Pearce g2r? 

Edit: Oh, maybe not, for some reason I thought these were made in uk. But it’s seems not. As you were...

how about a Marshall 5010 ?
    Lead 12?
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 1283
    Carlton?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 9612
    Trace Elliott?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Lead 12?

Frightfully close.

Imagine a lead 12 with more loud. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 1283
    MOSFET 100?
    Lead 12?

Frightfully close.

Lead 13?
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited May 4
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Frightfully close.

Master Lead 75 with Celestion Sidewinder

MOSFET 100?

We have our winner!

It's the 1x12 combo with reverb that came a bit later - the Marshall 5100 mosfet reverb. As I understand it, it's the combo version of the head. 

Fitted with a celestion g12h-100 which is an awesome speaker. Nowadays you can get the g12k-100 I think, which is a direct replacement.

I played one in a store yonks ago but said "meh, solid state". Then I played the head version in a cash converters and said "meh, too pricey at a whopping £150".
    They are very good sounding, and look fantastic. They also sound good at low volume, and have that fabulous jcm-era dirty clean on tap.

They also go bastard loud if needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit hissy from age, so I'll start by cleaning the jacks and testing, and if needed I'll look at recapping it. Hopefully I can get some guidance on here on how to do that without burning down the house :) 
    Fitted with a celestion g12h-100 which is an awesome speaker. Nowadays you can get the g12k-100 I think, which is a direct replacement.
    That's a very good speaker. The K100 isn't the same, it doesn't have the vented magnet and it's not as growly in the low mids.

I had one of those and the Master Lead 75 at the same time - I swapped the speakers so the Sidewinder (150W rated) was in the 100 and the G12H in the 75 - even better than the other way round. The Sidewinder is 101dB so you can imagine how loud the result was... :)

The only thing I don't like about the Mosfet 100 is that the later versions (which I think all the combos are) don't allow you to access the EQ on the clean channel from the overdrive channel, so you're limited to the single 'tone' knob.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 14592
    I got here late. 

But I was going to say if it's not a JCM800 then you have made a poor choice! :D :D 

I got here late. 

But I was going to say if it's not a JCM800 then you have made a poor choice! :D :D 

I mean, it's basically a jcm800 :D just without valves.

ICBM said:
    That's a very good speaker. The K100 isn't the same, it doesn't have the vented magnet and it's not as growly in the low mids.

I had one of those and the Master Lead 75 at the same time - I swapped the speakers so the Sidewinder (150W rated) was in the 100 and the G12H in the 75 - even better than the other way round. The Sidewinder is 101dB so you can imagine how loud the result was... :)

The only thing I don't like about the Mosfet 100 is that the later versions (which I think all the combos are) don't allow you to access the EQ on the clean channel from the overdrive channel, so you're limited to the single 'tone' knob.

Yes, that's the one! I don't think I'll be using the clean channel much, the last one I tried I just cleaned up with picking dynamics on the boost channel - it really did have the feel of a single channel amp.

I will try the clean channel but tbh it's not what I bought it for ;)

Interesting about the speaker! It is tremendous, I heard a 4x12 with them in being powered by a jcm800 at download and it was pure Marshall roar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Yup, that's the one! In good nick mostly. Let's hope it arrives safely...

To be honest, the cost was pretty much a ply cab and half a decent speaker. The amp is basically free at that price! 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 3967
    C'mon @ThePrettyDamned just tell us, then we can discuss it.... 
    edited May 4
    merlin said:
    C'mon @ThePrettyDamned just tell us, then we can discuss it.... 
    @merlin you must have missed it...

Marshall 5100 mosfet.

Edit: really cool that there are so many affordable solid state amps from the past fitted with good speakers and a ply cab, though! 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 659
    MOSFET 100?

We have our winner!

It's the 1x12 combo with reverb that came a bit later - the Marshall 5100 mosfet reverb. As I understand it, it's the combo version of the head. 

I played one in a store yonks ago but said "meh, solid state". Then I played the head version in a cash converters and said "meh, too pricey at a whopping £150".
    Nice - I had a 5150 combo (2x12) as a teenager in the late 80s.Sounded great!
    newi123 said:
    MOSFET 100?

We have our winner!

Nice - I had a 5150 combo (2x12) as a teenager in the late 80s.Sounded great!

I love that there is a 2x12 version.

It implies the 1x12 is quiet :D gotta admire that! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I love that there is a 2x12 version.

It implies the 1x12 is quiet :D gotta admire that! 
    The 5150 is 150W as well! And has three channels, although the third one is an 'aux input' channel rather than switchable.

I measured both my Mosfet 100 with the Sidewinder and my Peavey Special - 130W with a Black Widow - with a dB meter app on my phone. I had to put it the other side of two closed doors to get a reading that wasn't off the scale :).

I can't remember what the actual figures were, but somewhere in the 130s once I'd calibrated it with a quieter sound.

The Peavey won by 1dB.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter