New amp incoming - can you guess? Now with pics on page 2

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

Sadly, the speaker baffle has come away from the front panel - presumably from inertia from the MASSIVE speaker magnet.
    You may need to plug the screw holes in the cabinet, but other than that it should be easy to refit.

The reverb doesn't seem to engage but turning it up does add background hiss so I'm predicting a loose connection somewhere from shipping.
    Probably a broken wire in the tank - especially given that it's obviously been dropped - but there is a possibility of a failed component in the drive circuit.

ThePrettyDamned said:

Was going to grab the cheapest I can find, either a second hand laney or vox one, or a used Marshall 2 button from Andertons - but none say boost/reverb. @ICBM any thoughts?
    "1" which @casapete is selling here is the correct original one :).

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/204661/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited May 2021
    ICBM said:

Sadly, the speaker baffle has come away from the front panel - presumably from inertia from the MASSIVE speaker magnet.
    You may need to plug the screw holes in the cabinet, but other than that it should be easy to refit.

The reverb doesn't seem to engage but turning it up does add background hiss so I'm predicting a loose connection somewhere from shipping.
    Probably a broken wire in the tank - especially given that it's obviously been dropped - but there is a possibility of a failed component in the drive circuit.

ThePrettyDamned said:

Was going to grab the cheapest I can find, either a second hand laney or vox one, or a used Marshall 2 button from Andertons - but none say boost/reverb. @ICBM any thoughts?
    "1" which @casapete is selling here is the correct original one .

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/204661/

Bit concerned at the fragility... I'm more interested in a simple reliable thing. But it would guarantee being the correct switch rather than risking a new one that might use a different scheme?

I'll take a look inside the tank after work. In order:

- remove rear plates
    - remove baffle and speaker 
    - remove reverb tank
    - fill holes in front of amp and baffle 
    - re-drill
    - check reverb tank for obvious fault and solder if necessary (weekend job sadly)
    - re-fit everything 
    - rock out

The footswitch is a tiny issue, a single button one will obviously work but the original one looks cool. 
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Bit concerned at the fragility... I'm more interested in a simple reliable thing. But it would guarantee being the correct switch rather than risking a new one that might use a different scheme?
    Any standard latching 2-button switch will work, there's no special scheme. Those ones are a bit fragile, but if you're not planning to gig with it it should be fine.

- re-drill
    The holes in the baffle should be fine, the screws will just have pulled out of the cabinet. Don't re-drill - pack the holes in the cabinet frame as tightly as possible with wood glue and matchsticks (better than toothpicks for this, the wood is pine) and put it back together with the glue still wet, without drilling anything.

The footswitch is a tiny issue, a single button one will obviously work but the original one looks cool. 
    If I remember correctly a single-button one won't work, or not without replacing the plug at the amp end with a TRS with the ring unconnected, otherwise it turns the reverb off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Any standard latching 2-button switch will work, there's no special scheme. Those ones are a bit fragile, but if you're not planning to gig with it it should be fine.

- re-drill
    The holes in the baffle should be fine, the screws will just have pulled out of the cabinet. Don't re-drill - pack the holes in the cabinet frame as tightly as possible with wood glue and matchsticks (better than toothpicks for this, the wood is pine) and put it back together with the glue still wet, without drilling anything.

If I remember correctly a single-button one won't work, or not without replacing the plug at the amp end with a TRS with the ring unconnected, otherwise it turns the reverb off.

Yes, toothpicks and wood glue is a legendarily good piece of advice. I'll document as I go - thank you! 

I think I'll get the original footswitch, just need my vox to sell first :)
  • So, started deconstructing it.

Man, this thing is built... Impeccably. May be it has been worked on before as some screws seemed slightly chewed, as if some numpty didn't use the right size screwdriver.

Pictures coming this evening. Got to say though, the weight is the speaker. If this sounds as good loud as it does quiet, it makes me wonder why Marshall don't make these anymore! 

Man, this thing is built... Impeccably. May be it has been worked on before as some screws seemed slightly chewed, as if some numpty didn't use the right size screwdriver.

Pictures coming this evening. Got to say though, the weight is the speaker. If this sounds as good loud as it does quiet, it makes me wonder why Marshall don't make these anymore! 
    Because they were too expensive to produce. You're right, they're built to essentially exactly the same standard as a JCM800 valve amp, but that made them cost too much to be marketed as a 'cheap' (perceived) solid-state amp. They were discontinued at the end of the 80s and replaced by the Valvestate 80 series - which are very good, arguably even better, sounding amps, but just aren't built remotely as well.

Chewed screws on the inside where the baffle is screwed into the cabinet could be original, Marshall's workers seemed a bit brutal with those! I suspect they had the power screwdrivers set to 'no mercy' for those :). But all the other ones should be pretty clean.

• ICBM said:

Because they were too expensive to produce. You're right, they're built to essentially exactly the same standard as a JCM800 valve amp, but that made them cost too much to be marketed as a 'cheap' (perceived) solid-state amp. They were discontinued at the end of the 80s and replaced by the Valvestate 80 series - which are very good, arguably even better, sounding amps, but just aren't built remotely as well.

Chewed screws on the inside where the baffle is screwed into the cabinet could be original, Marshall's workers seemed a bit brutal with those! I suspect they had the power screwdrivers set to 'no mercy' for those :). But all the other ones should be pretty clean.

Exactly right. Got the baffle out and there are all-original wood shavings from the holes!

The amp... Looks nearly new.

I like how the valvestate 80 watt sounded but it wasn't my favourite amp - I'd take a bandit every time for sound quality.

Gut shots will be coming. Not sure about reverb, tank looks fine so maybe an issue with circuit. Not important to me but a shame.

It's so clean inside! 
    edited May 2021
    So I took it apart and did the cocktail sticks trick and screwed the baffle back in. Can't tell if it went into the old holes and they were very tight or I made new ones, but that baffle ain't moving!

I cleaned the contacts for the reverb tank, and generally did a bit of dusting. Put it all back together, making sure everything was nice and tight. Plugged in...

Beautiful. Sounds great! Can't believe these are so cheap, great tones even at whisper volume. The cleans are "proper" Marshall cleans, not a half-arsed attempt at Fender. The drive is super responsive.

The reverb circuit... Works! It just doesn't seem to add much reverb - I wonder if it is dependant on volume. It adds a bit of hiss so it might be a bit not-working properly, but it does add a tiny bit of ambience when maxed out.

I wonder if it is something in the circuit, but I don't mind and I don't usually like spring reverb anyway...

Don't have time to upload all pics till tomorrow but this amp rocks. It's super solid, the chassis and internals were very tidy and the speaker choice is a good one.

Also glad to have taken it apart AND put it together in a couple of hours with poor light and not totally bork it!

Edit: I did use duct tape for the reverb cable relief. The nail-in clips were just too difficult for me to work in with my limited tools! 
    It sounds like the reverb driver might be dead and what you’re getting is the pick-up from the reverb springs being vibrated by the speaker.

edited May 2021
    ICBM said:
    It sounds like the reverb driver might be dead and what you’re getting is the pick-up from the reverb springs being vibrated by the speaker.

Yes, could be. It doesn't sound like reverb as such... 

Is fixing the driver something an average-level idiot could fix with a soldering iron?

Side note - typical of Marshall amps of this era - the tapers on the pots are spot on. It's a 100 watt amp but it's easy to manage the volume, and it still sounds like a big, fat amp. No hair trigger. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but how do these compare with the 5210 (one of which is also on eBay, but possibly a touch pricey at £250)?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but how do these compare with the 5210 (one of which is also on eBay, but possibly a touch pricey at £250)?
    I think (@icbm can correct!) the 5210 is the slightly older, slightly more desirable model because it has a proper two channel eq, whereas mine has a proper clean eq and a "tone" knob for drive. As it happens, the 5100 does sound ace (and ICBM confirmed the settings are basically how I'd likely set them!).

They are... Hilariously undervalued if they sound better than my one. This is honestly a great sounding amp. The 5210 is supposedly a bit better?!

As for price... I don't know. I find the price of Marshall lead 12s to be silly - I paid less for my 100 watt amp than some have paid for the lead 12, which is great but... I think there is a lot more value in the bigger ones, especially given how easy it is to keep them quiet! 

Is fixing the driver something an average-level idiot could fix with a soldering iron?
    Not going to be easy - it’s components on the PCB, which will need to come out. If you’re not a fan of spring reverb I might not bother.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but how do these compare with the 5210 (one of which is also on eBay, but possibly a touch pricey at £250)?
    That’s far too much - about double what it’s worth. They’re not as good, unfortunately. The amp section isn’t as good-sounding and the speaker isn’t great, it’s usually a G12M-70.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Cheers, @ICBM .  He's actually got it on Reverb as well, reduced from £375!  I'll pass, then.  :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

He's actually got it on Reverb as well, reduced from £375!  I'll pass, then.  :)
    They actually aren’t terrible, especially with a better speaker - and in some ways they *should* be worth more, but I wouldn’t pay more than about £150 for one even in perfect condition. They do come up for that, although they’re not especially common.

• Sod the reverb, then, I usually don't dig real springs as much as a digital reverb. 

No time to play today thanks to epic work. It sure is a nice looking thing in the living room, though. It also has fiancée approval for volume.

On having a play through of Snow (yeah, I like rhcp, sue me!) she commented "that sounds just like the record". Pretty high praise! 
  • Spent more time playing with it now, and it really is fantastic for classic Marshall tones.

Actually, I wouldn't even assume it was solid state - it has a very valve-amp sound and feel. It only becomes a bit more solid state-ish when the gain is maxed - this compresses quite a bit and rather than sounding exactly like a jcm800 it's more like a jcm800 with a boost in front.

Gain at around 3/4 gives a very responsive amp that works for a clean-ish with volume rolled back on les paul, rock rhythm maxed out or a lovely, super responsive bluesy rhythm with a strat or tele. 

The clean channel is pure clean Marshall too, I'm sure I'll need to find use for it but I am pretty comfortable treating this as a single channel amp for the most part!

Pics should be uploaded today - very, very tidy build. It makes a pretty loud pop sometimes when turning off, which I may ask someone electricky to look at just to make it more apartment-friendly but whether whisper quiet or a bit louder it really does sound fantastic. 

Marshall, if you're reading this, please please please make them like this again. Solid state doesn't need to be budget - just a good amp, good cab and good speaker. Forget including reverb, everyone has one anyway! 

• Reverb tank is an accutronics dated 1989:

• Super tidy inside.

Reassembled:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting! That version of the G12H-100 doesn't have a vented magnet, but it also has a smooth cone, which is more normally found on PA-model Celestions rather than guitar ones. That will give it a smoother sound and help tame any 'solid state buzz'.

Also, at the input end of the reverb tank, is the black wire that goes to the RCA jack broken where it joins the terminal? If it is that would explain why the reverb isn't working apart from faint speaker pick-up.