All in One PC.

What's Hot
All in One PC's.... Anybody got one?... Are you happy with it.? 

Hoping to downsize my home recording set up.
Fed up with with loads of hardware and peripherals taking up a lot of precious space.
I'm keen to keep things simple and just get by on minimal good quality kit. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    An iMac  is a good call and good value for money. PC all in ones are generally terrible. Even the higher quality models such as HP's Touchsmart are prone to all kinds of problems, Acer and Asus are probably the worse I see, Lenovo not so bad but all suffer from the same problem which is keeping a PC cool when it's built in a plastic frame behind an LCD panel. The iMac is made of alloy so even without the fan can deal with the issue much easier. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    I have a 2014 iMac. It wasn't cheap bit apart from a crack on the screen, it works as well as the say it arrived (and couldn't find the on/off switch). I also use it for simple recordings (3 or 4 tracks) as well and it comes out better than anyone else's I've come across.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5423
    edited May 2021
    You can't upgrade them and you can't repair them. All-in-ones are a spectacularly bad idea.

I spent most of my working life building, selling, repairing and upgrading PCs. There aren't many things in the computer world that haven't crossed my desk. Trust me on this, all-in-ones are the worst kind of throwaway consumer junk.  Don't even think about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    Imac. Full stop.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    The "desktop with feet and vesa bracket" alll in ones are the only ones I'd consider. They're mainly used in schools etc. I'll echo what's been said about the "all inside the screen" type - they get hot and die an early death. They're very slow for the spec usually.

I'm not a Mac fan by any stretch but they do this much better. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Imac. Full stop.
    Back, sack and crack?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    My experience is that I have been an iMac user for over 10 years and find they do the job for me just great. When I buy an iMac I get one with more RAM than standard. In the past I have also selected a larger HD but now with SSD it makes sense to have a standard size inbuilt to have the OS and apps on and add an external HD for all my work; that works better for me. As ever, YMMV so choose wisely for your needs and situation.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    There are some PCs which you can attach to a monitor stand to effectively make them an AIO, but without actually being integrated into a single case and thus stymied for upgrades/repairs.

I have a couple of Dell "micro" models which I use for home-use and work (IT, not music); I don't have the AIO stands, but instead have them fitted to brackets/enclosures which are attached to the underside of bookshelves.

I'd expect you can do similar with a Mac mini, if that's your preferred OS platform.

The advantages of that approach are:
    • You can choose your own monitor(s).
    • If/when you decide to, you can upgrade the computer unit or monitor independently.
    • If something breaks it's not the whole shebang gone.
    I went for the Dells after my Mac mini broke and Apple didn't have a product to sell me, as they made the Mac minis non-upgradable.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Get an iPad Pro and Cubasis for the most clutter free recording set up, you can cover a hell of a lot of ground with this 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    I defer to the experts here, I would just say that we have two all in one PCs (missus munckee thinks they look neater) and we have never had a problem with them.

Well some all in ones will outlast others. 

Most likely to survive  - Intel Pentium or i3 chip, intel HD graphics, external 90 watt or so PSU

Most likely to die  - AMD chip or Intel i7 - dedicated GPU - internal 160 watt or so PSU

I have 4 iMacs, one for recording, one as an entertainment PC in the dining room. one on my electronics work bench and one in the bedroom. They take up almost horizontal space, less than a laptop and can be brought for less than £150
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    I'd echo the "no all-in-ones" opinions. Far better to go with a decent quality mini-PC like a NUC (or, these days, the AMD Ryzen equivalents). They're usually similar in size to a desktop audio interface, and can easily fit in the dead space on your desk (eg under your monitor, or even in a drawer if there's reasonable ventilation).
    <space for hire>
    I don't know if a NUC will cut the mustard.
    The one I have is a https://www.dell.com/mk/business/p/optiplex-7050-micro/pd , which has an i7, 32 GB RAM, and an SSD disk.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    prowla said:
    The one I have is a https://www.dell.com/mk/business/p/optiplex-7050-micro/pd , which has an i7, 32 GB RAM, and an SSD disk.

Well...

https://www.ebuyer.com/990698-asus-amd-ryzen-5-4500u-ddr4-mini-pc-pn50-bbr048md

Up to 64GB RAM, NVMe SSD and 2.5" SATA support simultaneously, 6 cores/12 threads, good thermal performance and power usage...and the onboard GPU is actually pretty decent too, so casual gaming's an option.

I'd happily use one, were it not for the fact that it appears to not directly support triple monitors (which is a fairly niche thing, I'll admit).
    <space for hire>
    prowla said:

Well...

https://www.ebuyer.com/990698-asus-amd-ryzen-5-4500u-ddr4-mini-pc-pn50-bbr048md

Up to 64GB RAM, NVMe SSD and 2.5" SATA support simultaneously, 6 cores/12 threads, good thermal performance and power usage...and the onboard GPU is actually pretty decent too, so casual gaming's an option.

I'd happily use one, were it not for the fact that it appears to not directly support triple monitors (which is a fairly niche thing, I'll admit).

OK, so one of them might squeak it... :-)

(My Dell does support 3 monitors, though, with the optional VGA interface.)
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4144
    iMac here too I got myself a 2nd hand 2012 27” around Xmas 
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    Thanks everyone. 
    I have not really seriously considered and imac up until now.
    2K approx might be a bit of a stretch for me at the moment but @Danny1969 and @Tannin l hear what you are saying.
    If l choose to buy a Windows PC, l will steer clear of AIO models and go down the conventional tower/desktop route.
    Many Thanks. 
    Thanks everyone. 
    I have not really seriously considered and imac up until now.
    2K approx might be a bit of a stretch for me at the moment but @Danny1969 and @Tannin l hear what you are saying.
    If l choose to buy a Windows PC, l will steer clear of AIO models and go down the conventional tower/desktop route.
    Many Thanks. 
    You don't need to spend 2K, you can pick them up a used iMac model that will support the latest OS for about £400. I actually use older models that go for around £150 and am perfectly happy with them. 

The new M1 coloured iMac's are out soon so prices on the old intel models will drop even more. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Hoping to downsize my home recording set up.
    Er, what is your current set up?

iMac here too I got myself a 2nd hand 2012 27” around Xmas 
    The large screen is nice to have, especially after an MBP.

For the last six weeks, I have been mostly powering my elderly 13" MBP laptop via an equally elderly Apple Cinema 24" monitor. I can also connect and power a proper wide USB keyboard to get more hotkey shortcuts. It is even possible to run this combination with the laptop's lid closed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited May 2021
    27” Imac... love it..  

upgraded memory and could upgrade the hard drive to SSD.

The new M1 chip ones look interesting