Can you name the famous guitarists from the following quotes:

"Any amplifier we ever made, that guy could blow up"

"Like... the upper half of Pete Towhshend with the lower half of James Brown"

"The only one who makes me sweat"

"Basically, a thug"

"Like a thunderbolt out of the sky"

"The working man's guitarist" 

"I'd crawl across broken glass to stick flags in his shite"

(I haven't named the sources as in most cases it would give the game away)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 10241
    I haven't got a clue about any of them, if I tried to answer they'd just be wild guesses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 11737
    I've a feeling the first one is Dick Dale.
    Inhale away Jackson Jeffrey Jackson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeillNeill Frets: 892
    Philly_Q said:
    I haven't got a clue about any of them, if I tried to answer they'd just be wild guesses.
    That's what I was hoping for - the wild guesses might be more entertaining than the true answers...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 13109
    "Like... the upper half of Pete Towhshend with the lower half of James Brown"

That made me think of Wilco Johnson.

Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 273
    Basically a Thug is Ron Asheton being described by Iggy Pop. It was a compliment. 

Working man’s guitarist makes me think of Rick Parfitt who played rhythm for Status Quo?
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 273
    Is ‘The only one who makes me sweat’ Satriani talking about Steve Vai?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 19468
    "Any amplifier we ever made, that guy could blow up" Blackmore??

"The only one who makes me sweat" Yngwie??
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1106
    "The only one who makes me sweat" Gary Glitter talking about Pete Townsend
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    OK, I'll make some wild guesses:

"Any amplifier we ever made, that guy could blow up" - I was also thinking Blackmore.

"Like... the upper half of Pete Townshend with the lower half of James Brown" - I was thinking Wilko for the working man's guitarist, but I think @monquixote has to be right on this one.

"Like a thunderbolt out of the sky" - Hendrix?

"The working man's guitarist" - Rory Gallagher?

"I'd crawl across broken glass to stick flags in his shite" - it sounds like something Noel Gallagher might say, but I've no idea who he'd say it about.

Absolutely no idea on the others.

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 542
    Think the 3rd one is B.B. King talking about Peter Green?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2298
    "I'd crawl across broken glass to stick flags in his shite" Is I think, Chris Rea about Mark Knopfler. Fantastic quote.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited May 5
    Maybe I made this too easy - there are five correct answers so far, I'm impressed.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 579
    edited May 5
    Andres Segovia. All of them. 
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 104
    "Basically, a thug" Brian Robertson
    RickLucas said:
    "Basically, a thug" Brian Robertson
    Ha ha, wrong, but probably more right than the real answer...
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 4338
    jdgm said:
    Think the 3rd one is B.B. King talking about Peter Green?
    I thought it was BB King talking about Eric  Clapton? 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 104
    "I'd crawl across broken glass to stick flags in his shite" Did Chris Rea say this about Joe Walsh?
    Congrats to @EricTheWeary @bencowling81 @Philly_Q @jdgm and @mudslide73 who all got correct answers.

The Dick Dale quote was made by Forrest White who was president of the Fender company at the time, exasperated by Dale's insatiable desire for more volume.

The Townshend/Brown hybrid was Michael "Cub" Koda talking about Wayne Kramer, who he further described as the "greatest guitar performer rock & roll has produced".  But you would be forgiven for thinking it was a description of Wilko Johnson - Wilko himself admits he was heavily influenced by the MC5 who the early Feelgoods shared a bill with.

I'm not sure if BB King was implying Peter Green scared him when he came out with that quote, I reckon it was more along the lines of "gives me the shivers" which could be interpreted differently.

I would have accepted Steve Jones as well as Ron Asheton for the Iggy quote, I think he referenced them both with it.

The "Thunderbolt" was Eric Clapton described by John Etheridge, trying to explain the "Clapton is God" reaction.  It's hard to explain to successive generations but that's the effect he had.  Pity it's been downhill ever since.

The working man's guitarist is indeed Rory Gallagher - a good "wild guess" @Philly_Q ;
    He was described thus by the wonderful Lenny Kaye who also, as far as I'm concerned, invented the term Punk Rock.

And the final quote correctly identified by Mr Mudslide was from Middlesbrough's finest (no, he is not a Geordie...) Chris Rea about Mark Knopfler. 

• vizviz Frets: 7397
    edited May 5
    Is ‘The only one who makes me sweat’ Satriani talking about Steve Vai?

Or the other way round?

Anything that isn’t pentatonic is pretentious wank -  LastMantra
    more on the strength of my ability to own a PA than to play a guitar” - ICBM
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 1924
    Are they all quotes referring to Brian May
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2298
    Thanks for doing this Neill.. very enjoyable. I love a bit of a quiz. I can't remember where I read that Chris Rea one but it's always stuck with me due to it's imagery. If only I could remember important things like names, birthdays etc
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 6922
    I was hoping to see Gary Moore’s quote about Alvin Lee...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 2469
    Is the 'sweat comment' about Randy Rhoads?
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    Thanks for doing this Neill.. very enjoyable. I love a bit of a quiz. I can't remember where I read that Chris Rea one but it's always stuck with me due to it's imagery. If only I could remember important things like names, birthdays etc
    I thought that was just me... 

There was a thread on wrestling recently - the "World of Sport" type I mean, and I recalled that I knew Mick MacManus was an expert on antique ceramics - he made a guest appearance on the Antiques Road Show many years ago.  My brain has stored that away for God knows what reason yet I can't even remember where we keep the tea towels.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 6345
    Neill said:

"The only one who makes me sweat"

Never knew Prince Andrew was a guitarist.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Neill said:
    There was a thread on wrestling recently - the "World of Sport" type I mean, and I recalled that I knew Mick MacManus was an expert on antique ceramics - he made a guest appearance on the Antiques Road Show many years ago.  My brain has stored that away for God knows what reason yet I can't even remember where we keep the tea towels.
    Which reminds me, former Saxon guitarist Graham Oliver is an authority on Yorkshire pottery/ceramics.  I saw him talking about it on some antiques programme, not Antiques Roadshow - maybe it was Dickinson's Real Deal.