How gig-able is a 5E3?

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I have seen that 5E3 style amps get a lot of love round here and I have to admit from what I have seen and heard on various videos they sound great. I was just wondering if they would be gigable in your average pub classic rock type band unmic’ed? Clean, cleans aren’t needed so I’m happy to roll the volume back for cleanish bits and used a treble boost for solos.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    I played in a band with another guitarist who used a home built 5E3 amp for 3 years. He used a home built 2 X12 and it was plenty loud enough through that ...... it was a big 2 x 12" though, the cabinet and type of speakers used makes a massive difference. 
    I used a Blackstar HT5 myself, through a large 1 X 12" .... we did about 250 gigs together with those amps
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I’ve gigged my 5E3 without PA support a few times. You have to pick your gig though, and be happy to get some crunch when you dig in.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
    tFB Trader
    Elevate it off the floor (flight case, beer crate, chair) and they're more than giggable
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    RiftAmps said:
    Elevate it off the floor (flight case, beer crate, chair) and they're more than giggable
    Absolutely. I made a slip cover for mine out of 9mm ply, painted black, which double as a handy stand. You can just make it out in this photo - blue 5E3 on stand to the right, yours truly in the middle on T-type and vocals.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Keefy said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Absolutely. I made a slip cover for mine out of 9mm ply, painted black, which double as a handy stand. You can just make it out in this photo - blue 5E3 on stand to the right, yours truly in the middle on T-type and vocals.

Is that a Sho Bud Lloyd Green model?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I have seen that 5E3 style amps get a lot of love round here and I have to admit from what I have seen and heard on various videos they sound great. I was just wondering if they would be gigable in your average pub classic rock type band unmic’ed? Clean, cleans aren’t needed so I’m happy to roll the volume back for cleanish bits and used a treble boost for solos.
    I suppose it depends how big your gigs are.....

5E3 works for me without micing at most gigs I play on guitar or steel.

edited May 2021
    jpfamps said:
    Keefy said:
    RiftAmps said:

Is that a Sho Bud Lloyd Green model?
    Er...

The steelie is Kevan Bartholomew. I know he has or had a Sheffield, but he also has a Mullen,, and whatever is in the pic below. He certainly doesn't use a 5E3 though - that's his amp botom right.

EDIT: Yes he has/had a Sho-Bud.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    When I had one I must admit I struggled with one whilst playing in a twin guitar band. It wasn't the volume alone, it was more the fact that I couldn't cut through the mix. I subscribe to the idea that a cleaner guitar is a louder guitar and with a 5e3 you don't get masses of clarity. 

I also found that a treble boost was of little use for a boost for solos on that amp. I found that the amp simply compressed more because the headroom was not there to be able to push more cut through the mix. 

That being said.... what a bloody great noise! Its one of the all time classics and used in a twin amp set up its perfect as an amp to kick in for a thick sound. Thinking about it I gigged a 68 Silverface Princeton and a Fender tweed Champ once or twice and I thought it was a wonderful combination. Admittedly it was in a single guitar band. Doing this even meant that I could use reverbs and delays in a wet dry set up (PRRI wet, Champ Dry) too without fading into the mix. Also it was the most back friendly set up I've ever used. 

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Speaker probably makes a big difference, a 100db speaker can be quite loud.  Mine can take 6L6 for a bit more grunt but with JJ6V6 and a G12H I didn't really need them.

Also a 12AY7 in V1 rather than an 12AX7 may affect headroom.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    RickLucas said:
    Short answer, yes you can.

Long answer, it depends on your particular 5E3. I’ve had a few, original ‘59, Mission, Clark, Flynn, Gartone.

The only one I could/can gig is the Gartone. Maybe it’s the speaker, but it’s head and shoulders above every other one I’ve had. I played in a loud classic rock band with a hard hitting drummer and the the singer/band leader sometimes would ask me to turn it down.

Rob
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited May 2021
    Speaker is key.

With my high efficiency 2x12 EVM (100db) equipped boogie cab I can get a serious level of volume from my DIY amp.  Mine is modded for 6L6.

Enough for rehearsals with a full acoustic drummer.   You quickly lose headroom though and it feels soft and woolly with boosts, so only good for small gigs unmiced and where you don’t get louder later on.

Of course carting a huge mesa stack defeats the small amp benefit.

It’s all down the the music limits and volume discipline of bandmates.  It can be a one trick pony.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I have a 57 custom - I`d say it depends!

We play classic rock and currently have 2 guitars - it wouldn`t work unmic`d here. Rock drummer, but not the loudest I`ve played with. 

I also play in the house band for jam nights and the occasional pop style gig - fine here but sometimes the issue is because the volume is `off........ LOUD!` it`s too loud. I find the princeton works better.

Personally I always carry a flat sennheiser in the gig bag so if I do have a small amp it can be give a little `spread` through the pa, rather than out and out more volume.