Build Thread: Nought - big update and first mockup

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
edited May 2021 in Making & Modding
So, what is a telecaster?

Weapon? Work of art? Tool? Most versatile guitar made? Groundbreaker?

I've owned some 6 or 7 different telecasters over the years, from cheap to very expensive. I love the form factor, I love the control layout, I love the concept but for some reason everyone I've ever had has left me a bit flat. Either the neck pickup sounds too thin, the guitar is too heavy, dead sounding etc. The idea of rocking up to peach with a stack of queens bulging out my pocket to find the ultimate custom shop is not very appealing and I'm not a fan of the custom shop labels. First world problems.

So, from those that I did have, I've learned a few things. I like a thinline (when it's not a boat anchor excuse of a thinline), I like a HB on neck or one of the ASAT type soap bars. Although I've never had a P90 tele, I've had a Fano SP6 with a P90 which was superb. I also really like a lightweight tele.

For some time I toyed with the idea of a custom parts caster but shied away due to cost. @GSPBASSES recent cleared provided just the right excuse to spend money on some good parts and learning a few new skills along the way. I've collected a small selection of guitar adjustment tools, bars etc and have a better understanding today of what I like in an instrument and how to get it playing the way I like it, no least thanks to a lot of the knowledge picked up on the forum and YouTube channels.

Ok, enough waffling.

I intended this thread to serve as a sort of step by step document of this particular build, amalgamating knowledge primarily picked up from @SteveRobinson's https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk and lonestar guitars. It will be a bit of an image heavy set of posts too..

Each post will contain one stage. I will take my time with this as its my first ever build and I want it to come together as a good standard.

I'll also calculate time spent at each stage to get a better idea of the overall time commitment for such a project.

Before sitting down with the body, I spent about 3-4 hours putting together a list of suitable hardware, pickups, overall design and another 2-3 hours watching videos and reading about how to obtain a high quality finish at home.

Base specs with weights and costs. Some are approximations as they've not arrived yet. Costs are definitely variable and a good imported body and neck will easily bump this whole thing towards the other side of a grand. Same for pickups etc.

Nought? Why Nought? Fret Nought, you'll find out later.

PartCostWeight g
GSP Neck (Swamp ash with maple top) - unfinished100530
GSP Body and neck (roasted maple with rosewood board) - unfinished1341267
Fender jack nickel 099-1941-0008.4911
Gotoh BS-TC1S Bridge nickel4592
Gotoh TLB-1 Ferrules nickel6.2514
Bakelite Witch hat knobs711
Gotoh 6 in line vintage nickel35158
Axesrus Pickups (T90, custom built, minimal potting)110182
Fender true vintage nickel string retainer 0994912000121
Vintage cream pickguard2663
Telecaster wiring harness and nickel control plate70139
TCS true 52 vintage nickel neck plate and slotted screws2063
Nickel slotted screws Fender 0018368049 (7 for pickguard and 2 for plate)125
Sanding supplies etc45 
Paint90 
Totals£720.742536g

The starting point is this (@gspbasses photo):

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    edited May 2021
    Ok, so first stage - preparatory sanding, before grain filling. Objective is to start with things as smoothly and flat as possible. Also a good opportunity to round off any sharp edges on the routes.

Prior to grain filling and correcting any minor wood defects, finer sanding is required. Graham already delivers a superbly prepared body so I feel like there is little work to be done here. Overall cost: 50 minutes, a can and three sheets of sandpapered 2x400 and 1x600.

Key lessons learned - be careful with sandpaper catching routed edges, wood can be delicate, your fingers are very good for feeling out what needs to be done.

I start with something important...
     IMG-5383 

And a couple of shots of the body, prior to any work. The towel is there to prevent contact with the hardwood table underneath and give it a nice working surface that I can move the body around without risking marking it.

IMG-5385 IMG-5386

This tear may need to be filled, I'll check with the pickup jack once it arrives, it might cover it. On any occasion I can address this at a later time.

IMG-5387 

These small grain pits will likewise be filled at a later stage.
    IMG-5388 

First step, sanding down with P400. Some of the edges are quite delicate, especially by neck pocket and control route/fhole. It's very easy to snag the paper/block and cause a gouge so careful attention should be paid to sanding those areas and direction. I clean up the edges with what remains of this first sheet.

IMG-5389 IMG-5390 IMG-5391 IMG-5392 

I wipe down with a damp cloth, first time seeing the grain pop.

IMG-5393 

You can see how there is a lot of 'roughness' popping out with the water, even on the maple.
    IMG-5394 IMG-5395

This then gets sanded down again with a fresh sheet of P400, followed by P600

IMG-5397 

IMG-5398 

The surface is much smoother now, but very dusty so I clean it with mineral spirit. Once it is dried, I park the body away and will embark on the next stage when time permits, grain filling.

IMG-5399 
    IMG-5400 IMG-5401 IMG-5402                   
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Please don't use carborundum paper on bare wood - if the black abrasive particles become detatched they can lodge in the wood, and show under your finish.

Best use a "gold" paper. I like 3M Sandblaster. Mirka Goldflex is very good too.
    Please don't use carborundum paper on bare wood - if the black abrasive particles become detatched they can lodge in the wood, and show under your finish.

Best use a "gold" paper. I like 3M Sandblaster. Mirka Goldflex is very good too.
    Thanks @SteveRobinson. Would carborundum paper be Ok for the finish or would you suggest avoiding it entirely? 

It does not seem that any has gotten into the wood but I will order some gold paper and have a second go at it then. 
    tFB Trader
    Yes, wet'n'dry paper is ideal for flat sanding lacquer.
    tFB Trader
    This is a "general" rule.

I've just remembered however that you are planning a solid finish so it doesn't matter too much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This is a "general" rule.

I've just remembered however that you are planning a solid finish so it doesn't matter too much.
    Thanks Steve, I’ll have a close look but couldn’t notice any particles left. If all good, I’ll move to grain fill using your rustins, spirit and card technique. 
    edited May 2021
    Ok, stage two - Grain filling

I used the following technique: Grain-filling an ash telecaster body

There aren't as many photos simply because it's too messy to photograph as you go along. I inspected it closely after what Steve said about carborundum paper residue, luckily there was none to be seen. I felt the maple top had some small points that needed filling so I went at the whole body. I plugged the control cavity as well as the f-hole with paper towel to avoid collecting filler residue inside the body and to catch any drips, it will be easier to clean the edge of the cavity/fhole as opposed to the deeper bowels of the routes.

I started spreading with a card but at one point switched to using my bare hands to work the filler in, followed by careful flat scraping to avoid lifting any filler out of the pores. I found a light touch with the card, ensuring that it was perfectly straight and not at an angle that would chatter or catch the wood was best. The cutout was difficult to do and was lifting a lot of filler out so it will likely require a bit more sanding to deal with the additional filler residue.

Some time after I was done, I touched a couple of small spots on the swamp ash that I felt needed some more grain filler either because it lifted during scraping or I didn't get enough in there to begin with.

Close inspection is imperative as from a small distance it all looks nice and well but it's only when you look at it square inch by square inch that you are able to see where more filler might be needed.

Overall cost: approximately 45 minutes and, with wastage, I used about 1/6th to 1/4 of what was in the can. I put the diluted mixture back in the can and stored for future use.

Things I learned: Don't try do do this whilst you're also trying to have lunch, it's not going to work. Make sure you have somewhere safe to hang the body afterwards to breathe out the spirit. Again, trust your sense of touch when working through it. May try powder free gloves next time....

IMG-5415 IMG-5416 IMG-5417 IMG-5418 IMG-5420
  • hoopshoops Frets: 223
    Great thread. Really interesting. Cheers. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    Why are you applying a solid colour? Grain on that top looks nice. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Ok, stage two point 5. It's miserable outside, therefore no sanding possible so stage three (sanding sealer) will have to wait until better weather. It also gives me time to work out a spraying strategy, a handle to move the body around and deciding whether it's going to be done outside or in the shed (which will have to be in a sunny day as it's a bit damp).

The grain filler has dried overnight, you can see clearly where it does the job:

IMG-5427 IMG-5428 IMG-5430

@Devil#20 I did waver a bit at first when the body first arrived, it's a beautiful piece of book-matched maple. At the end of the day, however, I'm not a fan of flamed teles at all + for a first spray job I'd prefer to go with a solid colour rather than a burst or something butterscotch-ish. I've got an idea of what the end result is going to look like in my head. I mean, flamed ones are nice but just not what I'm looking to do with this one. I like the idea that there is a bit of maple that may change the overall voice the guitar, however slightly, and that it will be safely tucked away under a few layers of solid colour. PRS do this, though they keep the faux binding as 'show' of what 'could have been'. Same with some resprayed gold-tops. I like that idea.

Screenshot-2021-05-08-at-14-37-21
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1325
    Looking great. I love the look of the ash, but if you're planning on doing a solid colour over it, I'd recommend doing an index coat (good tutorial below). It'll just help to highlight any areas where more grain fill is needed before it's too late.

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2012/03/27/more-on-preparation-sanding-sealer-and-using-an-index-coat/
    Thanks @davros, I did have that in mind. @SteveRobinson, will primer function as an index cost over sealer or does it have to be something darker?
    tFB Trader
    Anything that gives a contrast will do.

You need to be able to see when everything is sanded level with no dips.
    Thanks Steve
    edited May 2021
    Another lunchtime update, stage three - sanding down post grain-filling.

This was a very dusty job. It's also clear why scraping as much off as you can before you allow the grain-filler to dry saves a lot of time. I removed excess filler from routes with an modelling knife but this was very high risk. A wrong slip and you're taking a chunk of the F-hole with you.

I used P320. I still don't have gold paper and could see exactly what Steve meant about black particles from the carborundum paper coming off so I was careful not to exert pressure that would embed particles in the wood. This (presumably) meant that the process took a bit longer than it could have. Also, a pad type sandpaper would have been much better for the curved areas and cutout but we got there in the end with the fiddly paper.

I sanded along the grain to avoid scratches that go across the grain.

If doing this again I would probably do, sides first, cutouts, then rounded edges and finally the flat surfaces of top and back, simply because doing the rounded edges caused minimal marring to the top that had already been sanded so I had to touch it up again afterwards.

Cost, about an hour and a half plus three and a half sheets of p320

IMG-5472 IMG-5473

The paper accumulates very quickly so patting it out regularly is important. Once it builds up too much it looked like it would probably going to cause damage to the surface rather than actually remove any more filler, so I kept a close eye on it.
    IMG-5474 IMG-5475

This is how I approached the cutaway, being careful not to catch the paper. You can see the excess filler on the neck pocket area to the top. Here is where I wish I had scrapped off a bit more as it just clogs the paper quickly and sands down slowly.

IMG-5479

You can see all the low areas that have been filled by the grain filler here. After cleaning with spirit.
    IMG-5485 IMG-5486

I might return to this area once the spirit has dried.
    IMG-5487

The grain filler seems to have given the ash grain even greater contrast compared to an earlier photo, though this may have been due to the light. The ferrule holes may not seem straight but this is just some excess filler that has not yet been removed causing an illusion.
    IMG-5482
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    This is the stuff you need for what you’re doing, it lastsfor ever doesn’t scratch leaves a beautiful clean finish. One or two sheets will do the whole guitar no problem at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390589922046?hash=item5af0f93afe:g:zdMAAOSwONBZAxVc

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:
    This is the stuff you need for what you’re doing, it lastsfor ever doesn’t scratch leaves a beautiful clean finish. One or two sheets will do the whole guitar no problem at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390589922046?hash=item5af0f93afe:g:zdMAAOSwONBZAxVc
    Brilliant, thanks Graham. I'll order a couple for a final sand before sanding sealer.
    edited May 2021
    Stage three point five, I do a close inspection after sanding with 320 to identify any areas that might need touching up. It's very difficult to photograph but you can almost see how the wood is nearly reflective on the lower quadrant of this photo. Moving the body around against a direct light and scanning it closely it becomes easy to identify where there are spots of grain requiring some additional filling.

IMG-5492

You can see such areas below, top more so than bottom highlight. I reopen the tin of rustins, which at the top contains the diluted mixture I used the other day and simply dab a drop with my fingertip and work it in. It's a simple touch up job and as it quickly dries it powders off, leaving the spot filled with grain filler. I'm not rubbing it clean with my finger as I'm going to have one last final sand with the pads suggested by @GSPBASSES above. Once those arrive, I think I can conclude this portion of the prep and move on to sanding sealer so it's a good time to get things ready in the shed for (hopefully) a weekend job ahead

IMG-5491-1
    edited May 2021
    Ok, it's been a few days since last update. I carefully filled in the remaining spots of grain after the first round of sanding sealer. It's really hard to know how much 'smooth' is enough, respecting the fact that these are 'natural' materials and will behave somewhat unpredictable. I appreciate that there is a degree of control that can be imposed and my sense so far that it's really down to method. Incremental smoothness at each stage of the process and a careful, slow approach appear to be absolutely key. I learned this today twice.

A couple of days ago my order of a couple of sheets of 320 grit gold flex soft Mirka abrasive that @GSPBASSES and @stever recommended arrived. I wish I had known about this before I got started as it's an entirely different sanding experience. The pliable, resistant pad is far more suited to this type of work than the stiff and flakey carborundum paper. I appreciate this might be a sort of 'given' for those working with bare timbers but it was news to me. I'll make sure I have some in hand for future projects if I ever have future projects. It was especially well suited for smoothing out the edges of the routes and I can see how it will be valuable for when I get to the neck.

It does what it says in the tin and more. Go easy because I got a bit over enthusiastic 'redoing' the whole body and caused some of the pores to lose the filling so I had to touch up again, using the hard light method I've written about before, nothing much really but I could have avoided it. Lesson 1 learned.

IMG-5571

Once that was complete, I was ready for stage four. Sanding sealer.

I stared by sourcing a piece of off-cut and cutting it to size to fashion a handle that would be attached to the body. I made sure that it was narrow enough to easily handle but wide enough to offer a good and sturdy handle to work from and left enough room around the edges of the neck pocket to avoid any possibility of paint bridging onto the body. I also drilled a hole in the top of the handle so that I could have where to hang it from to dry.

IMG-5582

IMG-5583

I felt that the screws I had at hand were a few mm too long and didn't want to drill far into the neck pocket so I made mental note of this.

IMG-5584 

I first drilled two diagonally placed holes (in relation to the body centre seam).

IMG-5586

Once holes were drilled (of a smaller dimension to the screw so that there would be grip) I installed the screws to the handle only and used the whole contraption to press a pair of locating marks onto the neck pocket.

Once that was completed I drilled shallow pilot holes of the same dimension into the neck pocket and installed the handle. The heads protrude a bit in this case as I did not want to go too deep into the neck pocket with either pilot holes or screws but the resulting handle and installation is rigid and strong enough for what is necessary, being able to move the body around as I spray it.

IMG-5587

Prior to spraying I wipe the body down with a tack cloth (a thin cotton mesh impregnated in beesswax) specifically designed for collecting dust and any foreign particles from a sanded piece of wood.

IMG-5588

I thought a glove would also be a sound idea to allow for more uninhibited spraying of close quarters.

I would not necessarily want to do this with a heavy body and would likely opt to have it hanging but since this one is reasonably light it was not too much of a problem to handle for the spraying session. I built thin coats up until the body started to look 'shiny', indicating that the wood had saturated from the spray, being careful not to build thick/runny coats. One thing to note is that different parts of the ash behave completely differently in terms of absorption. The end grain seemed to need more spray than the back. As the body curves and moves from end grain to grain lines, the absorption also changed so where I was going a bit thicker on the sanding sealer, it eventually hit a saturated spot and I ended up with a very small run. I will have to sand it down carefully when it has hardened overnight.

IMG-5589

I end up with a very smooth, matte surface throughout. I did have to go back outside for a couple of areas in the end grain that needed a bit more lacquer, but otherwise I am very pleased with these early results.

IMG-5590 IMG-5591 IMG-5592 IMG-5593 IMG-5594 IMG-5595
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1325
    That looks lovely, are you painting over the back too, or just the top?