Fixing Boss pedals to a pedalboard

What's Hot
GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3536
I have a vague memory of some company selling velcro attachments that actually worked to attach Boss pedals to a board. 

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Turn the base around and attach the velcro to the other side. Alternatively, if your board is made of wood, use cycle chain links and screw them on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    edited May 2021
    RickLucas said:
    Turn the base around and attach the velcro to the other side.
    You can do that with some Boss pedals, but a lot don't have room for the rubber inside.  (None of mine does.)

Custom Pedalboards do replacement base plates, but IIRC their postage costs are quite steep (EDIT: they want £6.61 to ship a couple of plates costing less than a tenner), so you have to buy quite a few to make it worthwhile.  Or you can get Pedalboots, but they'll be pricier still.  Alternatively you can remove the rubber and keep it safe if you ever want to sell the pedal.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to cut some sheet aluminium to fit.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 364
    Another alternative is to remove the bottom plate, wrap painters tape around it, screw it back on and fix the Velcro to the tape.
  • NoiseNoise Frets: 8
    What the Doc said ^^^ I also saw another nifty trick elswhere (maybe here?), but haven't tried it yet; Take the screws out the baseplate, put holes in the velcro to match the screw holes, attach velcro and put it all back together.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You can also fold the Velcro around the edge of the plate and screw it back on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited May 2021
    Cable ties are good and obvs you can get the colours to match the pedals (not that I have, but it’s still very tidy. Well, from the top anyway. )

https://i.imgur.com/mGHksmP.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Just take the rubber off and stick it in the box.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Dual lock works fine
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Sassafras said:
    You can also fold the Velcro around the edge of the plate and screw it back on.
    This is what I do. Never fails!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I hate Velcro, I know it does a good job in holding the pedals but t makes changing pedals around a pain in the arse. So I started thinking of another way and realised you can get these  round pre drilled neo magnets and I could remove the screws from the pedal and replace them with longer screws pushed though this magnets. Then I got a piece of thin metal sheet, was actually the bottom  cover of an old small mixing desk and laid that on the board and the pedals cling to it really well but you can still move them about easily as well, without all the aggro and drama of velcro 
    Won't help with your typical pedal train though,  as those are made of alloy I think .... my experimental board is a chopping board with the sheet metal on it. Once I've thought it through properly and prettied it up I'll post some pictures.

The magnets are actually really cheap as they come in boxes of 25, the screws are also very cheap but there's no standard with thread sizes amongst pedals, least not mine. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've done this before and it's been really effective.  You print and cut out a template, cover that in tape and then velcro on top of the tape.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    You could find someone to do a few 3D prints of the flat BOSS plates. They will cost a few pence to make.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    +1 for a cable tie in the appropriate place, there really is only one option on a boss pedal, but it works.
  • This
    Dual lock works fine

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    If it's a plain wood panel type pedalboard, I remove two opposite corner screws, drill through the board in the right places (using the baseplate as a jig) and use two longer screws of the same thread to bolt the pedal down.

This does of course have the slight disadvantage that you can only replace it with another Boss pedal unless you want the whole thing to end up like a Swiss cheese, but since I pretty much only use Boss pedals...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3536
    Good hints! Thanks all
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Standard Heavy duty Velcro sticks fine to most boss pedals rubber.

Clean it with glass cleaner (its a banging degreaser) before hand then when fully dry stick it on without touching the adhesive or rubber. 
    Tis what I have used on my 3 boss pedals. 

It didnt work on the fs (5) or something latching footswitches though. 

I only do it around the boss sticker with the serial on it on the bottom though as otherwise it will peel off with the velcro should you ever remove it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...