DSM & Humboldt Simplifier Deluxe

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
edited May 2021 in FX
My last gear purchase for what will be a long time, just preordered one of these. I know that there are cheaper options for headphone/silent practice, but I did want the extra options for other applications. People other than Lee Anderton have been raving about the original Simplifier, and the Iridium doesn’t have an effects loop, so thought I’d take the plunge:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/cab-simulator-pedals/dsm-humboldt-simplifier-deluxe-pedal

I’d be interested to hear how anyone with a Simplifier got on with it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    Double post, thanks to my stupid iPhone. Can mods please delete one of them? Thanks.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I love that it's called a Simplifier, but it looks like the most complicated thing in the world.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I love that it's called a Simplifier, but it looks like the most complicated thing in the world.
    For an extra £100, with the Deluxe you get additional complications thrown in...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Don't you need a special license to operate it?
  • I very nearly bought the original simplifier and was pretty sold on demos, I imagine this deluxe version will be really good.  :)
    edited May 2021
    Sassafras said:
    Don't you need a special license to operate it?
    My HGV licence application is in the post... that would probably cover it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    What’s your thoughts on it mate ?
    Ha Wazmeister said:
    Only preordered just now.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    I've got the original and it sounds great! I mostly use the American preamp with 6L6s and 2x12s on both cabs. With the gain right up there's a little bit of crunch when pushed. There's not loads gain on tap even with the other preamps and no reverb obviously, neither of which was a problem for me, but looks like that's all sorted in the deluxe version anyway. I can't say I've used the aux in or headphone out yet, I bought it mainly to run direct to FOH for ampless rehearsals or in case my amp goes down at a gig.

There's a mammoth thread on TGP about it which I read through when I got it. A few people were finding it had a overly sizzly top end, especially with gain, for which the recommended answer from the guys at DSM was to run the presence high but move the mic placement away from the centre until any undesirable sizzle goes away. This has worked for me and I'm really happy with how it sounds.

It seems to take pedals really well (whatever that actually means - I use it with pedals and they sound good!). It's main quirk though is that both the pre and power amp sim and hence the volume control sit before the effects loop, so you need to be a bit careful with low headroom pedals sitting in the loop if you crank the volume.

I also had a few QC issues with mine, some of the tiny switches on the side can be temperamental and need a firm nudge to keep them in place and once or twice when turning the resonance control I've had the sound drop out completely. It didn't happen enough for me to return it and now I've got it dialled in how I like and I'm not messing with it excessively it seems to behave.

Hope you enjoy the deluxe version! Can't say I didn't suffer some envy when I saw it was released, but I definitely don't need 2 channels, I'm sorted for reverb and I don't want much gain from it so there's no logical reason for me to upgrade. Plus the original is absolutely tiny and sits just right on my board. That's what I tell myself anyway.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I've got the bass version and it's very good for getting a recorded bass sound that sits well in the mix v quickly. Nice piece of kit 
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 207
    Ha Wazmeister said:

Presumably you have this now. How are you finding it? It really intrigues me and I'm contemplating buying one.

I have a Revivaldrive Custom and HX Stomp on my pedal board which I believe can do everything that the Simplifier can do, but I like the idea of having something analogue like this sitting on my desktop for practice and recording.
  • Ha Wazmeister said:

Presumably you have this now. How are you finding it? It really intrigues me and I'm contemplating buying one.

I have a Revivaldrive Custom and HX Stomp on my pedal board which I believe can do everything that the Simplifier can do, but I like the idea of having something analogue like this sitting on my desktop for practice and recording.
    Ah. Quite a bit has changed since then, as I cancelled my preorder and went with an Iridium instead: it is a simpler unit and perfect for headphone practice. 
  • I'm going to restart this thread, as I've just bought a Simplifier Deluxe and it's made a good initial impression on me.

DrHungry said:
    <snip>
    It seems to take pedals really well (whatever that actually means - I use it with pedals and they sound good!). It's main quirk though is that both the pre and power amp sim and hence the volume control sit before the effects loop, so you need to be a bit careful with low headroom pedals sitting in the loop if you crank the volume.
    <snip>
    This was seen as an issue by some reviewers and owners using high gain. The Deluxe has a different signal path to the original. The Fx loop is between the pre and power amp stages. Haven't tried the FX loop yet myself, though.

As a silent practice amp into headphones, it's doing well. I'm also looking at using it on a pedal board with an electric guitar straight into a PA - as an electric-based singer/guitarist performer.

Very early days, there's a lot in it and and certainly too early for a proper NPD/NAD post. And is it an amp or is it a pedal? I'm torn between the two! :-) 
  • Had mine for a month now and built a pedalboard around it for ampless noodling/recording at home...some pedals up front, some in the loop: