SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Mike Hill Services Board in very large flightcasse - Spares or repair - £10 pick up only

BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
edited November 2021 in FX £
As an edit to the post, this is now available for collection if anyone wants it, £10 only!

The actual board and flightcase are perfectly serviceable, in fact a lick of paint and the board would be good as new really. 

I'm in Leicestershire if that helps folk decide on whether to make the journey, I also travel south for work so could meet somewhere. 

More gallery pics here:

https://imgur.com/a/CQxxCQd

I was looking for some information and assistance with a pedal board setup that I picked up recently cheap off ebay. It's a Mike Hill services build, and the chap I bought this from had this made around 2000-2001. Unfortunately, when he was no longer able to ship it around, he stored it in his cellar and it's been there for around 10 years, as a result it's suffered from damp egress and is looking a little worse for wear. He sold it honestly enough, and I was happy to take a chance and see what horrors might lay in wait!

I've attached some pictures of the board and the inside of the power/signal chain box so I can hopefully find out what the original setup was, and also what needs replacing (all of it!!). I'm guessing it's pretty much all useless, but hey ho, if you don't ask you don't know!

I can see the input marked 7 appears to be the original input perhaps, theres also an fx loop insert and finally what I believe is a buffered loop perhaps, marked 8? Theres also an unconnected and cut midi cable which I believe was for the sellers amp channel switching. All of the PCB's show signs of corrosion on the back.

With the power transformers I can see a 12v, 9v and 18v I think, along with filtered outputs perhaps, however the PCB's again are corroded as are the transformers. I've not powered it up as I think it will go bang.

Anyway, any help, advice and potential hopes of resurrection would be gratefully received!

Thanks all!!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    Anyone?!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    It looks like a write-off to be honest. I would power it up - if it goes bang it's just confirmed that, and if it doesn't then there may be some point in replacing all the jacks and plugs. The other stuff may look unsightly but in fact probably still works OK - the transformers are modern types with plastic insulation, and everything else is on the low-voltage side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    It looks like a write-off to be honest. I would power it up - if it goes bang it's just confirmed that, and if it doesn't then there may be some point in replacing all the jacks and plugs. The other stuff may look unsightly but in fact probably still works OK - the transformers are modern types with plastic insulation, and everything else is on the low-voltage side.
    Thanks John, that corrosion on the top of the transformers will it effect the internal winds do you think? 

Does the input with the circuit boards seem to you like a buffered setup?

Thanks mate.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited May 2021
    Boromedic said:

Thanks John, that corrosion on the top of the transformers will it effect the internal winds do you think? 
    No, definitely not. Modern toroidal transformers are wound with non-moisture-prone insulation too, so even if they've got very damp inside it won't be a problem.

Can't absolutely guarantee it won't go bang, but if it does it's more likely to be one of the voltage regulators or filter caps.

Boromedic said:

Does the input with the circuit boards seem to you like a buffered setup?
    Yes, most likely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thank you John, as ever you are the man :)

edited September 2021
    Thought I'd do a quick update on this, I still haven't turned it on so don't know if it works. However if anyone fancies it and can be arsed picking it up from my house in Leicestershire, it's all yours for £10.

The flight case alone is probably worth that!!

• Have you tried contacting Mike Hill Services to have a chat with them? Appreciate Mike is no longer with us but they may be able to help.
  • Classic said:
    Have you tried contacting Mike Hill Services to have a chat with them? Appreciate Mike is no longer with us but they may be able to help.
    Already did, they very graciously answered my email and said that they couldn't help any more. 

• More pics:

Bump