Jescar EVO Gold, what to expect?

What's Hot
60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
edited May 2021 in Making & Modding
Got standard nickel frets and thinking of upgrading to Jescar's EVO Gold.
I know some of you will instantly think stainless instead, but assuming we stick to gold for the sake of the discussion. Anyone that's had any experience with it?

Beyond the obvious, if and how it affects the sound (some few posts exist on the net, but.. the forums they can be read on do not particularly fill me with confidence), or playing come to that.
Is it really any more durable?
Does the plating wear off?
Not even sure if it's a plating or a proper alloy, they're a bit hesitant when it comes to information

* incidentally, there's no direct replacement for medium jumbo size, least not for all types of Jescars. In my case (wanting the gold variant), i can go slightly thinner and slightly higher, or thicker and even more high. In certain instances, the width of the tang also differs from the standard, as some variants are restricted to a thicker base. We're talking thousands of an inch here, so it's rhetorical; just mentioning it as a curio, no idea as to their thinking behind this.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    @GSPBASSES recommended EVO Gold for an un-fretted neck I bought from him. It’s an alloy, not plated. It’s harder than nickle silver, but not as hard as stainless steel. Unlike stainless it can be cut a filed without special tooling. My view is that the hardness balance is about right. I’m pretty heavy handed, and bend a lot, but there’s no sign of fret wear after several years. The only downside I can think of is that some people might not like its gold colour.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    @Roland appreciate the input :)

As to colour, not my primary choice either, but there's a lot of it on the guitar and i'm trying to match things; so it's either 250 all in to change the frets, or over 500 to change everything to nickel.
    EVO Gold wins ^^
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Very wear-resistant. The bright gold colour tames down fairly quickly and gets much less obvious. I saw the a mention or two of corrosion I think with people with acidic sweat but that's internet hearsay only so far. Maybe the colour would put some people off if selling on, though the lack of wear should be a plus point.
    A size I like a lot is 47104 that's very close to 6150 med jumbo, it's a gnat's curly hair wider and taller but we're talking under a tenth of a mil.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    I’m using 47095. I usually experiment with different sizes of things, but in this case I was so pleased with the feel that I’ve stuck with it. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    Yeah, like Corvus says, closest to medium jumbo appears to be the 47104, which is the one i've been planning to order.

Should be a while before it's installed (after summer), but will eventually report back once it's all done.