Have you had a guitar made for you ?

What's Hot
spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
I see a few posts about folks having hand made guitars to their particular specs etc...

How many of you have had such a thing and has it turned out to be what you wanted ...is it " the best " guitar you own, ...nothing compares and all that..

Or maybe it didn't work out at all?

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    I have one on order. Don't hold your breath, I won't get it for at least a year yet, maybe two. It's an acoustic baritone with a big jumbo body and a 730mm scale (just like my Tacoma Thunderhawk in those respects) but from all-local timbers: King Billy Pine and Myrtle Beech for the main part, probably a Blackwood neck and a Drooping Sheoak fingerboard. I'm looking forward to it very much, but accept that I'm in a queue and it won't happen anytime soon. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    I've had a couple made in years gone by.

One absolutely is the "best" guitar I own.  The other isn't.

The difference is not down to the skill of the respective builders, but is entirely down to my definition or understanding of what I wanted.

The one that didn't quite work out as I wanted was defined "on paper" - ie shape, dimensions, components, finishing, etc.  And it was made completely to that spec.  It was something completely new and different for me, which was pretty much the reason for having it built - not something that I could have tried beforehand.  I focused on one aspect of playability that concerned me (which turned out absolutely fine), but I overlooked  other aspects that contribute just as much to the playability of the instrument, which means that it turned out not to be my #1.

Beautiful instrument though, and perfectly built. 

The one that did work out exactly as I wanted was defined "in the hand" - I asked the builder to make a guitar like one that he'd made, and I'd played, a few years previously.   And that was pretty much the entire definition of the spec.   It arrived a couple of months later, and it's been my #1 ever since - despite me spending a lot of money on several other guitars since then!

It too is a beautiful instrument, perfectly built.  The original guitar just felt completely right, and the one that was made for me felt just as right.    
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I specc'd up a mad guitar years ago and built it myself. Telecaster shape, short scale neck, body and neck from SIMS. Graphtech hexpander and acoustic boards, trem. All singing all dancing. Loved it for a year or so then it fell out of favour. I eventually nicked the Graphtech parts for another project. It sat unused and unplayable in the loft for over 10 years, until finally I put some standard pickups back in and it is currently the guitar I keep at work for the occasional twang. 

I'll probably see if I can flog the neck/body at some point, but the body has extra holes in it for all the controls it had, and the neck has a Christian fish inlay so both niche products!

Ultimately it was an expensive folly, but it was fun to do I guess. Bloody hard to wire up though!

Here it is:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited May 2021
    My advice is don’t do it.

I ordered a custom model from a high-end American maker some years ago. It took nearly a year and though it was everything I’d asked for, I didn’t like it. It was overly heavy and sounded dead.

In terms of consumer protection I had nowhere to go with this. I kept it for about a year and sold it at a massive loss. I would never buy a guitar I haven’t played - or can’t return - again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959

I ordered a custom model from a high-end American maker some years ago. It took nearly a year and though it was everything I’d asked for, I didn’t like it. It was overly heavy and sounded dead.

In terms of consumer protection I had nowhere to go with this. I kept it for about a year and sold it at a massive loss. I would never buy a guitar I haven’t played - or can’t return - again.
    Similar experience. 

Had a guitar built by a respected Luthier. I had played many of his guitars and loved them.

Had a custom guitar made, waited a year, paid over the odds and didn't like it. Sold it at a massive loss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited May 2021
    spark240 said:
    I see a few posts about folks having hand made guitars to their particular specs etc...

How many of you have had such a thing and has it turned out to be what you wanted ...is it " the best " guitar you own, ...nothing compares and all that..

Ordered in 2016 still no cunting guitar to this day.   

And that was from a well respected luthier and member here - albeit one who subsequently had massive health problems.

It wouldn’t but me off getting another custom one build day - but I’d be a lot more picky about who I chose to do business with; and with the benefit of hindsight I’d protect myself better. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    You need to know who to buy from. I wouldn't hesitate to get a guitar built by Feline - amazing quality, but I had some stuff done by a luthier who shall remain nameless many years ago and the work was incredibly shoddy and unprofessional. Unbelievably so. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Iamnobody said:
    spark240 said:

Ordered in 2016 still no cunting guitar to this day.   

And that was from a well respected luthier and member here - albeit one who subsequently had massive health problems.

It wouldn’t but me off getting another custom one build day - but I’d be a lot more picky about who I chose to do business with; and with the benefit of hindsight I’d protect myself better. 
    Are you outstanding any money ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    edited May 2021
    I think there are quite a few aspects to this that need to be considered. For example, there's a big difference between ordering a 'far out' design with untried features and a high build cost, as against a conventional design with a modest build cost. The first carries a higher risk of disappointment from the unknown aspects of it's design/features, coupled with a more significant financial hit if you decide to sell. And all the features/costs are on a spectrum; one persons big financial hit might be a trivial sum to another.

Then there's the question of expectations: If you're expecting the guitar to be 'the one' you're far more likely to be disappointed if it turns out to be nothing more than a really nice guitar... Does it matter if you've already go one that's 'nicer'.  

Personally, I went the built-to-order route with Gordon Smith, and I've been very happy with the result. For 'about a grand' I got a guitar with features not often found at that price point (e.g. ebony 'board), in a colour I love (but rarely found on guitars) and with features that match my preferences (e.g. gloss top, satin neck). The result is a guitar that's one of my favourites (but not necessarily "the best" - whatever that might mean), and is not at any disadvantage sitting alongside big brand guitars costing two or three times that amount. But it was definitely it the 'conventional and modest cost' category, so relatively low risk -  always assuming I could find someone with the same colour taste if I wanted to sell.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26922
    Never a full guitar, though a couple of partscasters fully to my spec. Both are great, but I know what I like after having done a shitload of mods and changes on a couple of guitars over several years to find out what works for me and what doesn't. 

I can't see myself going for a full custom build, but I would absolutely consider a commission from the likes of Bartlett or Probett as long as I could play one or two first to use as reference points. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Seems fraught with issues really...I did once have discussion with Tom Waghorn as I tried a guitar made by him at the guitar show some years ago, being used by Alex Hutchings,...it was very nice.

I guess even if it does turn out as the best guitar ever... its still pretty worthless to anyone other than you.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

Buying a custom built guitar definitely does have an element of risk, it's not for everyone.

I've got 3 custom built guitars, and I am absolutely delighted with all of them, but I like one more than the others, which happened to be the cheapest one of them and one which has a few rough spots of construction which to many would be unacceptable.

However, my custom guitars are all very safe in spec. 2 flamenco guitars and one Martin repro.

If I was to buy a custom guitar, I'd recommend buying one from someone who either has a forum presence and posts on a regular basis or is well regarded for quality and delivering instruments when they should be.

I'd have no qualms in getting a custom guitar from guys who post on the forum like SCRelics, Darren of Daniels Guitars and so on.

However, as I wrote the above, I came to remember a few of my custom guitars were expensive beasts and really beautiful/fragile, and I'm absolutely terrified of f*cking them up. I'd never go this route again as the most I ever muster is taking them out of their case, playing a few chords and putting back again.

So I'd refine my statement, I'd get a custom built guitar but if the price was right!
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 833
    edited May 2021
    I had an acoustic guitar built to order about 9 years ago (40th birthday present) and it is by far the best acoustic I've played and is a keeper forever.

However, there are a few points that made this relatively low risk:
    1) I'm less fickle and GAS driven with acoustics so I do tend to settle with them for a long time
    2) my 2 main previous acoustics (both owned for about 10 years each) were very good but mid priced - MIJ  Takamines (so not strictly a fair comparison)
    3) the guitar I ordered, although built specifically for me to order was based on a stock model which I had tried in person, so although I specified a couple of cosmetic preferences and wood choices, I knew what I was getting and there were no surprises

I guess the last point is key - there are different kinds of custom builds, some from the ground up and some based on an existing design with options available - the latter approach would definitely be the least risky but maybe also the least creative and unique.

Anyway, I love my Patrick James Eggle Saluda!

axisus said:
     and the neck has a Christian fish inlay 
    Now if I had a body for it... Plus the time and money to do a project
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Yeah, I had Jaden make a couple of Teles to my spec, and they're both the best guitars I've got. One is incredibly fancy and high-spec, the other's a lot more basic (albeit made from more interesting wood than most), and despite the similarities they're both completely different guitars.

Along with the kit guitar I got from him, I don't really need anything else. Haven't bought a guitar in years.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    I certainly wouldn't go for a custom build that I hadn't played. If I ever had the spare funds though I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Feline that I could play first. Not just because of the craftsmanship but because of the customer service. Once life is back to normal I'd certainly like to visit Feline to try some of their great guitars. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    Bigsby said:

Then there's the question of expectations: If you're expecting the guitar to be 'the one' you're far more likely to be disappointed if it turns out to be nothing more than a really nice guitar... Does it matter if you've already go one that's 'nicer'.  .....

I think this is the most important aspect. 

I have built a few guitars but only two of them were commissions. Because of my health and other circumstances I put no time scale on the builds and financed them out of my own pocket, getting paid when the instruments were handed over.

One was for my brother who is pretty laid back, he told me what he wanted and I built it, I kept checking certain things with him i.e timbers, finish, pickups    "just build the Bass" he said, so I did and he loved it.

The other was for my mate who goes through phases of what he likes and changes his gear regularly. Again he left the process to me but I made sure that he was consulted right from the body shape to the materials so there would be no comeback.

There's a guy not to far from me in Cardiff http://beauchampclassicalguitars.co.uk/ who I would have no hesitation in ordering a guitar from if I were in the market for a classical guitar. I've been there a few times and his instruments are great

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Had Haar make a Strat to my choice of spec but it wasn't anything particularly out of the ordinary, it's great and exactly what I wanted.

Had a deposit with Daemoness but pulled out of it when the opportunity to do so came up as I was starting to have my doubts.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401

In terms of consumer protection I had nowhere to go with this. 
    I think this is sensible advice, Richard. I'm ignoring it, of course, but in general and for most people in most circumstances, it's good advice. My excuse for not following it is that I already have all the guitars that I need and I'm happy to take a punt on one that I can't buy off  the shelf and think I might like a lot. If it doesn't work out, I've spent some money. So what? I don't smoke or gamble, seldom drink much, cook  our own meals and and cut my own hair. The money that the next bloke spends on restaurants and clothes and a new car every few years, I spend on guitars. (And cameras.) If it doesn't work out, I'm no worse off than the next bloke, though probably a bit slimmer and healthier. And if it does work out, I've got a wonderfully unique guitar. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Pictures people! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    I had one made years back and it is absolutely superb. It was losely based on a Les Paul shape. It has two humbuckers in bridge and neck and the bridge is also a piezo pickup which sounds amazing when switched in and blended with the other pickups. I still own it and play it weekly. I also gigged this guitar heavily and it was just the best gigging guitar I’ve ever owned.
    It was made by Brian Eastwood back in 2000 and it will be going back soon for a much overdue service.
    So for me it was a great experience and I have something that is totally unique and is a ‘one off’.