Taylor vs Martin necks?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
How do the necks of the Martin re-imagined compare to Taylor necks? Specifically the OM-28. Anyone got any experience? Cheers in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5406
    edited May 2021
    I've played both but I can't help other than to bump your post as a side effect of saying that they both felt fine to me. But then I'm not fussy at all about necks so long as they aren't too squeezy (less than about 44mm at the nut). Anything better-shaped than half a baseball bat feels fine to me. I liked the OM-28 a lot when I was shopping a while back, and also liked the Taylor 314.

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I've got a Martin re-imagined HD28 much prefer the wider nut width compared to my friends Taylor GT K21. I find the neck on the Taylor quite slim compared to my Martin, but i do like fattish necks on guitars.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    edited May 2021
    markj said:
    I've got a Martin re-imagined HD28 much prefer the wider nut width compared to my friends Taylor GT K21. I find the neck on the Taylor quite slim compared to my Martin, but i do like fattish necks on guitars.
    @markj - that's interesting, then. It's been years since I played a Taylor, but I don't remember them having particularly narrow necks - I've never had the opportunity to play one since. I'd be interested to, out of morbid curiosity than anything.

I have a new HD-28 Reimagined. Reckon it has a fairly slim neck itself, certainly less meat on it than my dad's mid 80's D-35. If anything I'd say that my 28 has a slight 'V' profile with slightly less on the shoulders which is what makes it feel slicker.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    The Martin is slim in depth but wider at the nut, I find it very comfortable in my hands. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    The prerequisite for choosing has to be tone, first and foremost. Nether maker’s necks are ‘extreme’ and most players would be comfortable on either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    From the many Martins and taylors I played I found that the taylors had an electric guitar feel to them, like a les paul standard almost.

The Martins felt wider and I personally preferred them (especially sound wise).

I'd recommend you go to coda and try everything in your budget. It's the only way with an acoustic unfortunately (I'd even argue that you have to try electrics too)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    The Martin Reimagined family have a neck not everyone will like. The often high action can make the neck seem more of an issue than it is. But have the action sorted (mine is 18 thou at the nut, 0.05" relief and 2.48mm at the 12th on the low E). It plays easily. I use 12 gauge strings btw
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    I think the difference in sound between Martin and Taylor is more important, for me at least, than the neck width. Obviously certain extremes of neck may be "unplayable" for some people but you have to like the sound. From what I've heard/played Taylor have a brasher, more in your face, tone than Martin's mellower sound.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Oh absolutely agree, you have to like the tone. If you don't, you don't, you won't play it. I've never played a Taylor. I've heard people praise the playability and I've listened to to them being played. They have a modern sound, if you know what I mean. No better or worse, just different. 
  • if you are worried about the necks move to a classical as your main playing guitar. 
    Sky high action and the widest of necks suddenly make you realise that steel strung acoustics and electric guitars are pretty easy to play in comparison 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom