Went to an actual guitar shop yesterday…

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
…well, two shops. Mansons and Project Music in Exeter, and I had the best experience in a music shop ever. It was brilliant! Had to book an appointment because covid, and had an hour in each, nobody fussing, just access to anything I wanted to play. It was bliss!!

I have, however, fallen in love with two guitars, and this is a predicament. 

The first was the Silver Sky, which I’ve always wanted to play. That, through a Princeton, is the EXACT Strat sound I’ve been looking for - it was amazing!  It sure on the neck, might take a bit of getting used to.

The second one was a Custom Shop 61 Relic Tele in Aztec Gold. I’ve never played a Custom Shop anything before, and this completely blew my socks off!! The want for that thing is unreal, as it was everything I could ask of a Tele and so much more!
https://www.mansons.co.uk/fender-1961-telecaster-relic-aged-aztec-gold

Just off to apply for an interest free credit card…. And to sell a kidney!
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26916
    That tele looks really sweet - Aztec Gold is a fantastic colour.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    That tele looks really sweet - Aztec Gold is a fantastic colour.
    It really is, it’s stunning in the flesh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    No Pockets in shrouds, get them both  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    No Pockets in shrouds, get them both  :)
    Honestly I’m so tempted :lol: 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    £3500 for a telecaster? I mean, it looks great.. 

...but £3500 for a telecaster? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    I really hate Project Music. I do. 2 visits, 2 guitars, over planned budget both times. That's just not fair!

One of the best guitar shops I've ever been to. No pressure and as attentive (or not) as you want. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    £3500 for a telecaster? I mean, it looks great.. 

...but £3500 for a telecaster? 

I know. It’s insanely expensive. I think the Silver Sky is a lot of cash, let alone that much for the Tele. 

It’s really rather lovely though….
    I really hate Project Music. I do. 2 visits, 2 guitars, over planned budget both times. That's just not fair!

One of the best guitar shops I've ever been to. No pressure and as attentive (or not) as you want. 
    It was incredible yesterday, I was the only person there!! They were so helpful.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    If our house move actually happens, we will be residing in Bath, which should connect pretty well to Exeter - and I could frequent Project. I have spoken to them a few times, and seem to be very attentive and straight up. Glad you had a good time !

Re the Tele - my Custom Shop 1960 is exceptional. Probably the best guitar I have ever played, let alone owned. Its tone amazes me every time. Given that life is short, if they were really that good and you can afford these gems, then...

I also went into a shop yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised by a Les Paul Special - but ultimately just getting amongst the gear was great !
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited May 2021
    I live in Exmouth which is only a short drive to Exeter. I like Project Music and used to pop in there fairly often. I got my Squier VM bass from there a couple of years ago.

As soon as non-essential retail opened on the 12 April, I made a trip to Mickleburgh Musical Instruments (Bristol) and got my new AZ2402. That was a very good experience as well.

It's not a competition.
    If our house move actually happens, we will be residing in Bath, which should connect pretty well to Exeter - and I could frequent Project. I have spoken to them a few times, and seem to be very attentive and straight up. Glad you had a good time !

Re the Tele - my Custom Shop 1960 is exceptional. Probably the best guitar I have ever played, let alone owned. Its tone amazes me every time. Given that life is short, if they were really that good and you can afford these gems, then...

I also went into a shop yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised by a Les Paul Special - but ultimately just getting amongst the gear was great !
    Oh nice! Maybe you’ll need to bring your custom shop down for me to have a drool over :lol:

I wouldn’t say that I can ever “afford” the gear I want or end up buying, but I might just have to make these ones happen - never been so blown away with guitars before!!

Yeah, it was definitely good to get into a shop rather than just look on a website.
    I live in Exmouth which is only a short drive to Exeter. I like Project Music and used to pop in there fairly often. I got my Squier VM bass from there a couple of years ago.

As soon as non-essential retail opened on the 12 April, I made a trip to Mickleburgh Musical Instruments (Bristol) and got my new AZ2402. That was a very good experience as well.

That’s good to know - I’ll look them up :)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5729
    I like to class myself as a pretty decent enabler and certainly, if it brings you joy and you can afford it then you probably should. 

But.... £3.5k for the simplest of bolt in guitars. You could buy a gorgeous hand built tele for less the depreciation hit you’ll take on the first strum. 

It is really lovely though, so......... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    I like to class myself as a pretty decent enabler and certainly, if it brings you joy and you can afford it then you probably should. 

But.... £3.5k for the simplest of bolt in guitars. You could buy a gorgeous hand built tele for less the depreciation hit you’ll take on the first strum. 

I know, that’s what stops me - it’s essentially a chopping board with a neck and strings. But my goodness it’s a pretty chopping board!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Well, over the past week I discovered some old bitcoin & other crypto currencies I picked up for nothing 6-7 years ago; I'd semi-forgotten about them and thought they'd be worth maybe £100 if I was lucky, but they're actually (coincidentally) worth around £3500 at the moment.
    I've now been in the shall/shan't I cash them in and buy a couple of things I've been wanting, vs. treating them as part of my pension pot.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    prowla said:
    Well, over the past week I discovered some old bitcoin & other crypto currencies I picked up for nothing 6-7 years ago; I'd semi-forgotten about them and thought they'd be worth maybe £100 if I was lucky, but they're actually (coincidentally) worth around £3500 at the moment.
    I've now been in the shall/shan't I cash them in and buy a couple of things I've been wanting, vs. treating them as part of my pension pot.
    My friend had a similar experience...found he still had some bitcoin stuff. He subsequently cashed them in and bought himself some lovely moog synth stuff.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited May 2021
    I can resist anything except temptation , so I'm pleased I live no where near these places.  Otherwise I'd be broke and in the serious dog house with the missus. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5729
    PC_Dave said:
    dazzajl said:

I know, that’s what stops me - it’s essentially a chopping board with a neck and strings. But my goodness it’s a pretty chopping board!
    You know what, as long as you go into it with your eyes open, it could be an excellent bad decision. And if you keep hold of it long enough, it might even get to be worth more used than the cost now new??
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Conversely, I refrained from visiting an actual guitar shop.

Recent Discussions about Squier offset guitars set me thinking about a pre-owned VM Jaguar and a NOS Surf Stratocaster at a nearby shop. Both have project potential. Both would help to use up surplus parts. The prices are about the same. I could not pick a clear winner.

Instead, I concluded that I did not need either Squier. (Not exactly NEED.) OTOH, I have a shopping list of parts needed to put the finishing touches to instruments I already own. My G.A.S. funds went on a pickup that I should have bought ages ago.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I went to some a week ago, PMT, Guitar Centre, and Street Level in Southsea, but didn't buy anything.

I went to The Music Man in Reading this weekend and came home with a little Tascam digital recorder.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom