New Andy Wood OD pedal - Wampler Gearbox

What's Hot
hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
edited May 2021 in FX
For a while now, Andy's been showing a prototype of a new OD pedal he's been putting together. Hadn't seen any mention here, so started a thread, It combines the Pinnacle and Tumnus with different routing options which could be interesting....

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/wampler-unveils-andy-wood-gearbox-signature-overdrive-designed-to-be-the-driving-force-behind-your-sound

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    Sounds like a cool idea, just a little ugly!

Did you ever try his Suhr comp?
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I've not tried it yet. I'd like to. The sounds he generates are lovely I think, and whilst a lot of that will be down to his technique, its certainly in the ballpark of tones that I like. I think the Pinnacle is a great pedal and Klon styles are nice for boosting, so this could be a great, versatile combination.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    This is my main issue with Wampler pedals.... they sound great, i like brian wampler from the videos I’ve watched but the pedals are dog ugly, shouldn’t matter but it absolutely does, never owned one as i just don’t get that ‘shwing’ moment when looking at them.

It’s probably only me missing out as I’m sure they’re awesome!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eogeog Frets: 40
    @Vintage-T I lol’d at your shwing comment, not the overall sentiment!

i totally agree, he could really use a bit of help in the design department in my opinion... The facf that he obviously has that makes me wonder whether it’s a friend or family member that he doesn’t have the heart to get rid of
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    It's a stompbox not a friggin ming vase.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I dunno. Could you just use two separated? 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    I dunno. Could you just use two separated? 
    Like anything, you pays your money and takes your choice.

With this you get the potential advantage of a built in noise gate and a simple way of swapping the order of the two drives. It's cheaper than buying the exact equivalent pedals, slightly smaller, and uses one 9V jack, not two.

This particular dual pedal gets around the other major disadvantage of other dual pedals in that it has separate in/outs for each channel.

All that said, you can still only have the MIAB and the Klone. Two separate pedals makes for much more flexibility. It'll be right for some players and not for others.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.