SD1 and SD-1w

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
in FX tFB Trader
The SD-1 is one of the all time classic overdrives and is very inexpensive, but has some issues around bleed through etc.

The SD-1w seems like a nice upgrade and isn't stupidly expensive, but they hardly ever seem to come up on the forum classifieds.

Is that because no one is buying them or is it because those that do never sell them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Pretty sure I got my SD-1W from here

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    stonevibe said:

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Never had a problem with the dreaded bleed through.
    Then again, I've never had the gain above halfway.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    stonevibe said:

Sounds like an SD-1, I only use it in standard mode and it replaced my old Japanese one which got crushed under my boot after too many stomps.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I've had both, and also a couple of modded SD1's.  I really don't get the fuss about them tbh.    Plenty of people swear by them especially for pushing an amp into overdrive.   Personally thought it was a decent pedal but no better than 1000's of others..

I'd heartily recommend getting a barber gain changer, or a Revv green drive pedal -  both of which are superb imho.  Having been round the OD pedal train far too much those two in addition to a couple of others do pretty much everything I want from a drive.  I use them on my boards for the light drive/medium drive and actually can do full on gain really well.  They stack well with other pedals and work with every amp I've chucked at them.

I haven't bought a pedal for a few months now which must be a record for me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    thomasw88 said:
    I've had both, and also a couple of modded SD1's.  I really don't get the fuss about them tbh.    Plenty of people swear by them especially for pushing an amp into overdrive.   Personally thought it was a decent pedal but no better than 1000's of others..

I'd heartily recommend getting a barber gain changer, or a Revv green drive pedal -  both of which are superb imho.  Having been round the OD pedal train far too much those two in addition to a couple of others do pretty much everything I want from a drive.  I use them on my boards for the light drive/medium drive and actually can do full on gain really well.  They stack well with other pedals and work with every amp I've chucked at them.

To be perfectly honest I don't need one at all.

I have a Golden Eagle Klone, a Liquid Sunshine and a TI boost which have seen off countless other overdrives.

It's just because I'm a bored and I've recently got a DSL which has the legendary SD-1 / JCM800 relationship.

I have tried a Gain Changer and was massively impressed. I may pick one of those up at some point.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Just grabbed a cheap SD1 off ebay to use in recording when I want to push my JCM800 a bit harder and don't want to mess about with loads of other pedals. Cheap enough to have on the shelf to do 1 specific job. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 952
    I wasn't really tempted by the waza sd1 because the standard version always seemed very good to me. I did get the Ce2w chorus though and have to say it's a great pedal and we'll worth even full price.
    thomasw88 said:

To be perfectly honest I don't need one at all.

I have a Golden Eagle Klone, a Liquid Sunshine and a TI boost which have seen off countless other overdrives.

It's just because I'm a bored and I've recently got a DSL which has the legendary SD-1 / JCM800 relationship.

I have tried a Gain Changer and was massively impressed. I may pick one of those up at some point.
    The Barber is really hard to get hold of in the UK     However, defo check the Revv G2  pedal as well.   I need to AB them but in isolation it sounded excellent and very gain changer like.  It also stacks brilliantly with my other pedals.

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    stonevibe said:
    stonevibe said:

Sounds like an SD-1, I only use it in standard mode and it replaced my old Japanese one which got crushed under my boot after too many stomps.
    You killed a Boss pedal with your feet! Whoa.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    thomasw88 said:

I understand this. The thing is though that I'm a Les Paul into a Marshall bloke, and the SD1 is manna from heaven for that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    I had a Barber 1/2 gainer and don’t understand the hype to be honest I didn’t have it long at all- slightly different to the gain changer but nevertheless wasn’t for me. I’ve had most of the waza pedals and can’t say I noticed enough of a difference from the stock ones to justify the cost. I sold them all. I still have my stock SD-1 though!
    I had a Barber 1/2 gainer and don’t understand the hype to be honest I didn’t have it long at all- slightly different to the gain changer but nevertheless wasn’t for me. I’ve had most of the waza pedals and can’t say I noticed enough of a difference from the stock ones to justify the cost. I sold them all. I still have my stock SD-1 though!
    I didn't  think the 1/2 gainer and gain changer are that similar tbh in that the 1/2 gainer is a low gain drive, and the gain changer is low - medium high drive.