Worth converting my guitar to lap steel?

What's Hot
Having recently discovered Larkin Poe, I fancy having a crack at lapsteel. 
Before splashing out on one though, I thought I’d try converting an an old epiphany lp using a slide nut from Amazon and a cheap tone bar. 

Any thoughts as to why this might be a stupid idea? :lol:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
    edited May 2021
    The perfect nut is simple and effective. It looks a bit odd and some just don't get it . The strings are wider than the neck and hang over the edge . But you don't use the frets to play slide . The pressure of the strings on the nut can leave a mark , but otherwise it has no bad effects on the guitar . It is better you use heavy strings that are suitable to the tuning your using , but using the strings you have on the guitar will be fine . There is some demos on YouTube  
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1197
    Cheers, gonna give it a go. :)
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Another aspect is the bridge, if string heights are individually adjustable you want to flatten any radius.  Also, while a bottleneck slide will work the best way to go is to use a bar.  Look up "stevens bar", Amazon sells them cheap.   Not to turn this into a rabbit hole but most players use a variety of tunings, and if they settle on one it is almost never standard.  C6 (CEGACE) is a popular one.  I'll stop now.... 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1197
    Ah hadn’t thought about the bridge radius, all of my guitars have tune-o-matics so not much I can do about that. I’m sure I’ll manage, it’s more to dip my toe in really before buying a proper lap steel. 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    If your guitar played OK before you instal the grover perfect nut , you will not need to alter the  bridge.
  • clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
    Absolutely, it’s a great idea. I got hooked on lapsteel doing exactly this. Now have 6, but still like to use a ‘Spanish’ electric and a nut riser from time to time. Enjoy!! 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3596
    edited June 2021
    Yep... fine idea...  unless its an aggressive radius, it will work fine.

I ended up making one too.. very easy to do.. two angle brackets for saddles and some tuners and a length of wood.  I copied the scale of a guitar.
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198

Just my opinion, but you can pick up a starter lap steel for not much money, but I suppose it's entirely possible to convert an unused guitar into lap steel. Are you going to play it on your lap, on a table, or will you convert it so you can play standing up like the girl in Larkin Poe? If that's the case, a standard guitar might be awkward to play face up standing. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    DrumBob said:…...... If that's the case, a standard guitar might be awkward to play face up standing. 
    That's exactly what all players of square neck resonator guitars do. Those are a similar shape to normal acoustic guitars. On the other hand, playing a lap steel standing is really tricky (unless it's on a stand).
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    String spacing is wider on a lap steel, which makes using finger picks easier.