How to remove a mark on ebony fretboard

What's Hot
I've recently bought a Coban kit that includes an ebony fretboard Mahogany neck. I noticed a slightly lighter staining on the ebony covering one or two frets and wondered how best to treat it. This is the fifth Coban kit I've made and I'm generally very satisfied with their product. They're very helpful and, in fact, I would have sent the kit back had I not already started work on the body.

I don't want to risk sanding it out so treatment seems to be the option.

I'm considering Crimson's cleaner-restorer (overpriced like most of their stuff I'm sure), Fender restorer, or even black wood stain. May I ask your collective opinion and advice, please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    watch this first

and if the pale bit still bothers you, buy this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiebings-Professional-Oil-Dye-Black/dp/B008ROPJXE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fiebings+leather+oil+black&qid=1620717667&sr=8-1

rub it on to raw wood.  Let it dry.   give it a good rub down with fine wire wool to remove excess and clean up inlays... finally seal it with a light coat of any finishing oil, rubbed in and buffed off

it can get everywhere so be careful 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Thanks WezV.

I feel quite humbled. It's a very compelling video and strangely find Mr Taylor as listenable as Mr Martin (and I also once met his grandfather at Nazareth).

Although I've never considered owning a Taylor, I do own a Gibson 335 from 1978 and a Martin HD28V from 2006 as well as a Martin LX1 ('plastic' except for the soundboard with which I'm very happy. so I'm certainly going to start by completing the build with the marks as is and decide afterwards if I'm going to take your second suggestion.

Thank you so much for the help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    it is a good vid.   makes you wonder how much usable wood has been wasted over the years for a bit of natural colour variation

The dye I linked to has been used by many manufactures for years. Many boards still had streaks even when stuff with colour variation was being rejected.

you may find it darkens with use to the point you don't notice it anyway

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    I've already had confirmation from Coban that it's genuine ebony so frankly, I'll 'wear' any marks with some sort of pride now I know the situation and already found supporting confirmation from other major manufacturers.

Thanks for your info and help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    it is a good vid.   makes you wonder how much usable wood has been wasted over the years for a bit of natural colour variation

The dye I linked to has been used by many manufactures for years. Many boards still had streaks even when stuff with colour variation was being rejected.

you may find it darkens with use to the point you don't notice it anyway

Yeah its crazy to think how much has been wasted just because people wanted as black as possible... A mad world we live in.. 

Theres an update to that video now too..  He is doing a great thing here..

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Crazy that in my ebony a bit of colour variation was seen as bad but desirable in so many other species. The amount of waste was a real eye opener.