Single-coil pickup mount

I'm building a telecaster kit and, for personal, unimportant reasons, I want to not use the supplied scratchplate. Of course, this also houses the neck pickup.

I'm trying to find a frame or mount that will support the pickup in isolation.

The problem is that the cavity beneath the pickup is actually routed for a humbucker.

Of course, one solution would be to put a humbucker in its place but I wonder if anyone knows where I can obtain a suitable mount for the original single-coil pickup?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Original Tele pickups were screwed directly to the body so you don’t actually need a mount at all, but that will look odd with a humbucker-size hole. You will need some sort of cover plate at least the size of a humbucker mounting ring - the simplest solution is just to cut down the supplied pickguard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    GFS do something that will suit you
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2348
    tFB Trader

There are two ways round this problem if you're trying to mount a standard neck pickup. The easiest way is the buy a standard Telecaster pick guard, drill two holes match the holes in the pickup then mount the pickup directly to the guard, as Stratocasters pickups are mounted. But if you're looking to mount the pickup directly to the wood of the body, that might be slightly more complicated. If the route for the humbucker hasn't gone deep enough, you need at least 19mm of depth. If you have more than 19mm then it's going to be quite easy, you just glue a piece of wood across the bottom of the route to give you the 19mm. Then you can mount the pickup as normal. That's presuming you're going to use a pickguard. If you’re not going to use a pickguard, then you could buy one and cut it to shape yourself as per the one that’s mentioned above.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited May 2021
    Alegree is another source of humbucker ring-sized plastic plates with single coil shaped cut-outs.

Worst case scenario, you could fabricate one from blank pickguard sheet.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Stick a humbucker size P90 in it?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    edited May 2021
    Alegree is another source of humbucker ring-sized plastic plates with single coil shaped cut-outs.

Worst case scenario, you could fabricate one from blank pickguard sheet.
    Alegree has a surround that suits exactly - in principle - and they responded very quickly and positively when I asked for the dimensions in fact they updated their website.

Thanks for the hint.