NGD - Bastard Partscaster. Warning, relic’d and scalloped content.

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
edited May 2021 in Guitar

- MJT body (a bit more relic’d than the eBay pictures showed me, looks less extreme in person)
- Dimarzio Injector set (I think I bought from here a few years ago and never used)
- Warmoth eBay special I’ve had for years (scalloped and stainless jumbo)
- New Callaham bridge
- 500k pots, so it’s all trebley, just how I like it. 

It was originally going to have a new to me (used eBay) maple neck,  it needs some fettling that I’m not qualified for. 

Lots of fun indeed. And very much a niche instrument ...
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevMattRevMatt Frets: 833
    I like it - great colour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    I’d forgotten how much I like scalloped fretboards. 

Really forces you to play with just the right amount of pressure (and pay attention to pitch/note clarity). 

Also easy to get crazy vibrato. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I like it. I'd like to get a scalloped fretboard to try. 
  • I’d forgotten how much I like scalloped fretboards. 

Really forces you to play with just the right amount of pressure (and pay attention to pitch/note clarity). 

Also easy to get crazy vibrato. 

Yes, they're very hard to play well I found - I only played one for ten minutes but it sounded awful. With practice I'm sure it has benefits. I'd probably like a scallop from 12th fret onwards. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    What exactly is the point of a scalloped fretboard? Do people just do it to copy Malmsteen? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021
    I saw one in a shop years ago and tried it. Thought it was cool but tricky to play. 

Since I’ve found I really prefer massive frets, the scallop is the next level from that, you don’t feel the fretboard under your fingers, so have to adjust how you figure out the pressure you put on the string - for me that’s led to having a much lighter touch (I used to really grip the neck like it owed me money). 

I’d bought a Warmoth scalloped one off eBay a while back, I did have it on another body and found I really liked it. It does suit lead work much more, and I’ve found it a handy practice tool.  

Also doesn’t harm that I like (but can’t play like) Yngwie. 

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4138
    I’ve had a couple of scalloped YJM strats quite easy to get used to 
      Lovin this one 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited May 2021

I don't want pour scorn on your new guitar but the relic work here looks like a random attack with a file.

Sorry 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    phil_b said:

I don't want pour scorn on your new guitar but the relic work here looks like a random attack with a file.

Sorry 

What do you want to do then? Compliment it? 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Loobs said:
    phil_b said:

Sorry 

What do you want to do then? Compliment it? 
    Well yes. The pain work is only superficial anyway. It how it feels and sounds is thd important bit =)
    edited May 2021

phil_b said:

Sorry 

All good fun - I did put a disclaimer on the thread D

Here's a picture of the scalloping - action isn't anywhere near as high as it looks in the picture though (makes it look like something to cut cheese). Odd that.

I’m actually thinking of staining the bare (body) wood bits to take the edge off - per this guide : http://www.xrestore.com/Pages/Aging.htm
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    edited May 2021
    When I read the thread title I thought you’d stolen my identity and finished my latest bitsa build. But yours is a lot nicer !
    Keep your eyes peeled for another scallop neck Strat bitsa breaking cover soon !
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Loobs said:
    What exactly is the point of a scalloped fretboard? 
    The point is to get a better bends as there's:
    a) more room for the finger to grip the string without hitting the fretboard
    b) you can put pressure down on the string to make it go up in pitch besides the bend itself

Both of these are debatable if they are necessary--otherwise you'd see scallops on every guitar out there.--but some people swear by them. Very tall frets have a similar effect, by the way, and the Yngwie signature has both enormous fretwire and the scallops.
    Do people just do it to copy Malmsteen?

There's a bit of that, too of course.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 450

- MJT body (a bit more relic’d than the eBay pictures showed me, looks less extreme in person)
    - Dimarzio Injector set (I think I bought from here a few years ago and never used)
    - Warmoth eBay special I’ve had for years (scalloped and stainless jumbo)
    - New Callaham bridge
    - 500k pots, so it’s all trebley, just how I like it. 

It was originally going to have a new to me (used eBay) maple neck,  it needs some fettling that I’m not qualified for. 

Cool guitar 

How do you like the Injectors?

I ask as I currently have neck and middle Injectors with a Fred in the bridge of my EJ Strat
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    RevMatt said:
    I like it - great colour
    Yeah, I like that too. Reminiscent of Fender's old Caribbean Mist from their Strat Plus days.
    edited May 2021
    AK99 said:
    RevMatt said:
    I like it - great colour
    Yeah, I like that too. Reminiscent of Fender's old Caribbean Mist from their Strat Plus days.

Thanks - That’s the colour of my first proper guitar, a Caribbean Mist USA standard, 1994. I’d have that colour if it was available. This is a bit of a homage. Tempted to get a maple neck and get this closer to my old one. I prefer maple anyway. 

DavusPG said:

Cool guitar 

How do you like the Injectors?

I ask as I currently have neck and middle Injectors with a Fred in the bridge of my EJ Strat
    I like them. I have 500k pots, so they’re very treble-y. Turning the pots (tone and/or volume) down a bit gets you into more normal strat territory. I did the 500k thing as a bit of an experiment and really like it, you get more of an 80’s malmsteen thing. Also allows you to effectively have a bit of a treble boost to cut more. 

Worth a try I think.