Preferred music

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
edited May 2021 in Off Topic
When I was 16/17 the band I listened to most was the Eagles because they played songs I could approximate on my guitar. I was also a Quo, Hawkwind and prog rock fan.
Just struck me that my personal musical favourites have widened the more proficient I have become on the guitar.

I suppose what I’m saying is I’m overall less interested  in music I can’t reproduce myself.

Anyone the same?
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5429
    Yes and no.

One the one hand, no: I listen to stuff I have no intention or desire to play, and usually not even the right instrument. I like (just for example) Mozart and the Stones, Skyhooks and JJ Cale. But what I play is acoustic guitar. Nothing remotely like any of those four, or any of the many others I didn't mention.

On the other hand, yes: I listen to Tommy Emmanuel and Marco Cirillo and Michael Fix and Emil Ernebro because they either teach me how to do things I want to do, or show me what can actually be done by a master of my instrument. Or, of course, both.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I listen to very little mainstream ...or any music actually...if I’m nodding it tend to go over the same old stuff from Pistols probability to late 90,S ....then I just play with Kemper FX and see what happens.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    It’s inevitable that musical tastes will change because, for many of us, increasing proficiency on an instrument goes hand in hand with increasing musical understanding and listening skills. The converse is also going to be true. If we only listen to music which is within, or close to, our playing capabilities or chosen style then that’s where our musical tastes are likely to lie.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    For pleasure I tend to listen to Kings of Leon, Tame Impala, Do Nothing, Billy Eilish, all kinds of stuff but generally more modern than the music I grew up with. I don't really think of the guitar aspect of it. I can remember though only listening to music with a lot of impressive guitar parts when I was in my twenties. Then Grunge and Britpop took over for me. 

There are some bands that will always get on the playlist though, Pink Floyd, Beatles, van Halen, Eagles etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If I only listened to music I can play on guitar, I'd only listen to about 3 songs.
    I listen to all sorts of stuff, I never think about whether I can play it or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I'd say the opposite - I remember when I was obsessed with the learning the guitar I wouldn't listen to anything but great guitarists, then when I started playing in bands I realised that the guitar isn't really that important and it's all about the combination of the various instruments and, most importantly, the song.  

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    I've considered this kind of thing a few times. I can knock out whatever White Stripes or Strokes song you want, or anything off Yeah Yeah Yeahs' first album, loads of Led Zep or Jimi or whatever, but then can't do a lot of the basics that folks probably learn when going through structured lessons or playing a wider variety of stuff. And some of that stuff is probably much easier in a lot of cases than the stuff I can do. But I can't be bothered to learn it all it's largely little to no use to what I'd like to sound like. 

I can appreciate the great phrasing and craft in stuff like the Eagles for example, but I've no interest in my solos sounding like that as I prefer them to be awkward and more jagged - basically like a Jack White or Velvet Underground solo. 

The problem with this, however, is that my voice doesn't suit the styles of music I like to listen to or play, so I can't properly be creative in those styles as I've no way of completing what I'm creating with my voice. I can only do the shitty bed-wetter introvert sounding music which requires the cringe suspended chords and non offensive lead lines here and there. And because I don't play that nor listen to it, when I come to writing I have to do it on piano and translating it to guitar is basically an afterthought so it never sounds particularly good
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Music has changed so much for me in the last 30 + years.

Once upon a time it would be all about the guitar and probably did influence what I would and would not listen to.

I think I've quite happily divorced playing the instrument from the pleasure of listening to music and I think I have a much more eclectic taste because of it.  I can appreciate Lucavido Einaudi just as much as I can appreciate Paul Gilbert.

I've also separated the guitar from influencing what I listen to - it was heavily guitar influenced years ago, it still is, but the guitar is no longer exclusive in its ability to move me whether mentally, emotionally, physically or spiritually.

So while it used to be that technical guitar playing floated my boat, it no longer really does, it's all been done.  It's much more about the groove and feel of a song than any mega proficient technical ability these days.  

In answer to the question, I think I'm the opposite - I'm more interested in music I can't reproduce myself.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Just had another thought on this - when I hear music, be it rock or classical, I don't tend to think of how I'd play it on a specific instrument, but I do mentally visualise the chords and melody and general shape of the phrases. And as such I do struggle a bit with music that I can't do this for, however that is usually fast metal or electronic soundscapes and stuff so I'm not too bothered.

That said, I find it more natural to play something first time on piano than guitar, so perhaps I do imagine it on my piano base rather than my guitar
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    My taste in music hasn't changed one bit. I'm not really interested in modern stuff, still listening to Floyd, Tull, Led Zep, Be-Bop Deluxe, Little Feat and so on and never get bored of it. Sometimes it's best not to know how to play the song. I used love Zep's Kashmir, and then, many years ago, I discovered DADGAD and found how easy Kashmir was to play....
    Still love it, but not so impressed by it, kind of listen to it in a different light, if that makes any sense.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    My tastes have definitely diversified over the years. Today on Spotify, I discovered Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons last two albums, and really, really, like them. Equally, I’ve been listening to Peter Tosh, Groundhogs, Eurythmics, Jethro Tull, When Rivers Meet, and Elton John.

As I’m a shit guitar player, it matters not one iota whom I listen to, as I’m unlikely to be able to reproduce anything remotely like them.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I see something of this in myself, OP. It’s fun to listen to stuff and play along or even sometimes play better than what you hear. 

But I was into different musics from an early age- I listen to a lot of jazz not involving guitars and have always liked that as a pure listener- not an amateur musician. Ditto for classical music. 

I think playing the guitar has made me appreciate and understand music of all kinds more, whether I can reproduce it or not. It’s nice to sustain both attitudes. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Started off playing Oasis which is guitar heavy, and I'd listen to them religiously as a teenager. Then got into punk, with powerchords and stuff. Then it got heavier with metalcore styles. I have recently been listening to more softer styles like blues and jazz, often cos I have to research artists for teaching material. And I have to admit I'm quite liking it. One artist who has cropped up who I think is great is Jeff Lynne from the Electric Light Orchestra. 

Generally I'll listen to any type of music no matter what it is and how bad it is. The stuff in the charts these days is total garbage but unfortunately a lot of the younger learners like that kinda style.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    I listen to much less music now, and certainly less diverse than when I was younger.

I was very keen to replicate my Post-Punk heroes when I started playing (which of course was more difficult than I realised), but then became aware that I needed to broaden my horizons and also disconnect from listen/play links ('cos I would have hardly listen to anything other than Joy Division).

Now I listen to lots of different things regardless, as I live a parallel life whereby I genuinely think I can play them. It's great, I watch the Youtube videos, and discuss guitar stuff inhabiting a belief that I know what I am doing/talking about.

Complete fiction.

In answer to the question, no, I am more interested in music I cannot reproduce myself.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Sassafras said:
    If I only listened to music I can play on guitar, I'd only listen to about 3 songs.
    I listen to all sorts of stuff, I never think about whether I can play it or not.
    This ^. 

My musical tastes have definitely changed over time. When I was younger I’d only listen to heavy rock, prog, jazz fusion. This afternoon I’ve been listening to Dave Brubeck, Tinariwen, Duke Ellington and Henrik Frischlader.