Considering the Blackstar HT5 MkII

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
I live in an apartment, currently using my HX Stomp for all my electric playing and I’m a bit tired of headphones and I am hoping to get into some rehearsals soon and think I would prefer an amp behind me than all PA.

I think the HT5 Mk II could be quite useful for me; 4 voices over 2 channels, reverb, footswitch included, 0.5w setting for playing at apartment level but still has headphone out for the evening, 5w hopefully enough for rehearsal rooms but if not I can send to the PA while still having my amp volume (same could be done for gigs), USB recording also a bonus. Effects loop so I could use my HX Stomp for effects in the loop or even use the modelling into the effects return... 

In theory it seems to be a great amp for my needs but I can’t try one out locally.  Anyone on here own one or tried one out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Yes I own the head version. It's a great amp. The headphone out is particularly good as the reverb is stereo which makes a big difference. 

It's also bloody loud in 5W mode, but the volume pot taper is good. I tend to play it more on 5W mode more than lower power mode - but I live in a detached house. Low power mode can go very quiet, so you should have no problems there. 

Effects loop sounds good. And yes I've used it for modelling power-amp in use and it works well for that too. 

Sometimes I find the dirt channel a little dark, but I've a cheap EQ pedal in the loop that sorts that out. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    Hi Chris.  Where are you based?  I was going to put my HT5 MKII Combo in the classifieds soon no we can start moving around more.  If you're near you're welcome to give it a go and possibly buy it :-)  I'm based in Luton.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited May 2021
    I've owned the HT1 and HT20 head and combo (and an Artisan 15!) My only worry would be if the HT5 will get over a drummer in rehearsal? Depends what you're playing I guess but there wont be much headroom left to play with.

Something like an Orange Rocker 15 will give you a proper valve amp that you can use at bedroom levels and small gigs.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've had the MK1 HT20 and gigged with people that used the HT40 and HT100 and the DSL40CR I recently bought is a much better amp.

It has a very good master volume and a 20 watt mode so it's very easy to use at home. It's also got MIDI so you can control the 4 channels and 2 master volumes from the HX Stomp for live use.

I know the MKII is meant to be a big improvement so this might not be relevant.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    What about a laney cub 12r, they are 15 watts with a 1 watt input?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 895
    I had the earlier version (combo, no reverb) and thought it was great. Sold it to get a bigger amp, but would have one again. Surprisingly loud. I used an extension can with mine.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    S56035 said:
    Hi Chris.  Where are you based?  I was going to put my HT5 MKII Combo in the classifieds soon no we can start moving around more.  If you're near you're welcome to give it a go and possibly buy it :-)  I'm based in Luton.
    I’m in Stockport so a bit far out unfortunately.

I've owned the HT1 and HT20 head and combo (and an Artisan 15!) My only worry would be if the HT5 will get over a drummer in rehearsal? Depends what you're playing I guess but there wont be much headroom left to play with.

Something like an Orange Rocker 15 will give you a proper valve amp that you can use at bedroom levels and small gigs.
    Might have a look at the Rocker 15, loved my old Rocker 30.
    Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, given me some more reading to do!
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    S56035 said:
    I’m in Stockport so a bit far out unfortunately.
    Oh well.  It's certainly a good amp for home.  As someone else said the 0.1W mode is usable but the 5W mode has good enough adjustment in the volume to not need it.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited May 2021
    I've owned the original HT5 head and have the Mk2. The MK2 is definitely a much better amp. Both in terms of sounds and features.

I do also own a Laney Cub 12R. That's a fabulous sounding amp too. But in terms of build quality and reliability the HT5 is likely a better bet. Also the Laney doesn't have a headphone output or any kind of USB/XLR/Line Out options for recording or going into a PA. 

I've got a Mk 1 Boss Katana 100 combo too and it sounds amazing. However I think the headphone out sounds better on the HT5 Mk2.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4079
    edited May 2021
    What about the DSL5CR ? Or DSL20 CR ? Seem to be highly thought of and it’s got the magic name . Expecting ICBM to appear soon 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716

Might have a look at the Rocker 15, loved my old Rocker 30.
    Sold a Tiny Terror because my old Laney VC30 did the job, then the Laney died and I replaced it with the HT20. It's great for £200 but I miss that Orange tone!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The other option would be to just get a 1x12 cab and a power amp.

I did that with my Helix.
    If you are using a real guitar cab it really does sound like a real amp.
    The other option would be to just get a 1x12 cab and a power amp.

I did that with my Helix.
    If you are using a real guitar cab it really does sound like a real amp.
    That sounds like it’s worth looking at, thanks.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    ^ 100% this! I use my Helix into a Seymour Duncan power amp into a cab (well, the speakers of a combo with the amp disconnected).

I had the first HT5 head, and while I know the MKII is supposed to be a lot better, I can't imagine for a moment that it's as good as the Helix>poweramp>cab approach, which sounds fantastic. 
  • I’ve got an ht5 mk1 I like it. It’s surprisingly loud at max volume. Feels like much more than 5w more like 15/20w solid state amp.