Indian Covid variant calls in question 17 May reopening in UK, say experts

What's Hot

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5815
    Cols said:

No they aren’t.

No it isn’t.
    There is a 2005 agreement among nations that the WHO will take charge globally if a pandemic is declared.

Regarding WB funding its the COVID-19 Strategic Preparedness And Response Program which is funded until 31 May 2025.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 3727
    Freebird said:
    There is a 2005 agreement among nations that the WHO will take charge globally if a pandemic is declared.
    Somebody must have forgotten to tell Trump.  But I assume you’re talking about the 2005 International Health Regulations.

These require countries to designate a National Focal Point for communications with WHO and to establish and maintain core capacities for surveillance and response.  In the event of an public health emergency of international concern (for example, COVID) they establish obligations on countries to report data to the WHO.  

The WHO has the responsibility to coordinate and offer guidance, recommendations and assistance.  The actual authority to make public health decisions rests with each country.  As does the oversight of national bodies to support emergency response.

In short - SAGE don’t operate “under the direction of the WHO”.  They’re an independent 
    body funded by the British Government.

Regarding WB funding its the COVID-19 Strategic Preparedness And Response Program which is funded until 31 May 2025.

That’s a programme to assist the world’s poorest countries in addressing the COVID pandemic and its impacts.  And we may be deeply in the soup right now, but I doubt the UK falls into that category.
    No, its pandemic specific. The response is implemented locally but coordinated globally. That's why every country had the same response.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    No, its pandemic specific. The response is implemented locally but coordinated globally. That's why every country had the same response.

Of course, how right you are.  New Zealand and Brazil had exactly the same COVID response.  How silly of me to miss that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Of course, how right you are.  New Zealand and Brazil had exactly the same COVID response.  How silly of me to miss that.
    The train has already left the station, so it pointless flailing your arms about in desperation. I don't want to explain all the research funding, so just chill out and enjoy the journey, its only just begun.
  • Freebird said:
     I don't want to explain all the research funding, so just chill out and enjoy the journey, its only just begun.
    This is why people think you're a dilnosh.
    My band: TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Trading feedback: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147077/
    I like Japanties. Not the forum Road Warrior.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    Cols said:
    The train has already left the station, so it pointless flailing your arms about in desperation. I don't want to explain all the research funding, so just chill out and enjoy the journey, its only just begun.
    That sounds suspiciously like someone who, realising he’s holding a feather duster instead of something sharp and pointy, elects to beat a hasty retreat amid noisy bluster.

Oh look, Clapton’s said something!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 19378
    Roland said:
    Conspiracy theory alert?
    Not everything that looks like a duck is a duck  Printweek
    Now accepting applicants for the position of Minister for Being Reasonable Until Questioned. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 9483
    When people accept that Covid is a backdrop to life that cannot be driven away and will be managed NOT overcome then the SAGE people will be out of work........it's in their own interest to make themselves heard
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 19378
    Dominic said:
    When people accept that Covid is a backdrop to life that cannot be driven away and will be managed NOT overcome then the SAGE people will be out of work........

Or they'll just carry on in their actual jobs and spend far less time doing work as members of an NDPB. 
    Now accepting applicants for the position of Minister for Being Reasonable Until Questioned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • as members of an NDPB. 
    Fucking sick of this shit.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 12281
    I thought NDPB was that round robot in Rogue One? 
    Inhale away Jackson Jeffrey Jackson. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 6396
    The gov'ts done a pretty good job of making the narrative less "why didn't you restrict travel from India weeks earlier than you did, you incompetent yoghurt-filled binbag!?" and more "Ah, the ignorant savages of the north are afraid of the vaccine."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 9483
    what is an NDPB please ?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 23665
    Dominic said:
    what is an NDPB please ?
    Non departmental public body. 
  • as members of an TNBD. 
    Fucking sick of this shit.
    Okay, that was a bit of a stretch, so I fixed it...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4494
    I think that the pubs will open again on Mon 17th May '21.
    Bodge is now saying that people shouldn’t go on holiday to amber list countries, which rather begs the question as to why this restriction was specifically lifted yesterday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-live-indian-variant-b1849196.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 6396
    All in all it's just another brick in the wall. Groundwork for the narrative that it's the stupid, irresponsible public's fault if something goes wrong over the summer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom