Advice needed: stainless steel refret

What's Hot
martin1914martin1914 Frets: 13
I would like to ask for advise. I am looking for a good and reasonably priced tech to refret a tele neck with stainless steel frets.

Any experience or suggestions?

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    edited May 2021
    If you're in London then your best bet would almost certain be @FelineGuitars . He's in East Croydon, and does fantastic work. I haven't had an instrument re-fretted by Jonathan but I do have one of his builds, which is flawless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    tFB Trader
    A stainless steel refret usually runs 6+ hours to do right
    Expect to pay £350-£400
    If new wire is taller than what was there before you will likely need a new nut too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Depends what you think is reasonable,  Had my Les Paul refretted with stainless by Feline and It certainly wasn’t cheap.  It was impeccable though
  • HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    I can heartily recommend Jonathan/Feline. I had a stainless re-fret using 6100 wire. Absolutely worth the investment.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Just for ref, how much is a standard refret these days? Ballpark?
    If SS frets last 2-3-4 times longer , it might make it a no-brainer on a keeper guitar, if somebody was going to get through a few sets of frets.
    A recent thread was discussing a new B stock, high end Harley Benton, with SS frets in slightly rough condition, (maybe) and fully loaded with EMGs, Grovers, etc, which was sold for under £400.
    I do understand that SS is a lot harder to work on, and I have only ever had 1 guitar refretted, many years ago, which cost £150 and was an immaculate job, big nickel frets.
    A brand new Allparts neck is also £150, if you can get one.
    Not meant as a bash, just interesting comparisons.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2021
    John_A said:
    Depends what you think is reasonable,  Had my Les Paul refretted with stainless by Feline and It certainly wasn’t cheap.  It was impeccable though
    I just had Feline do my Les Paul with Jescar Evo Gold. It’s had an Earvana fitted too. Worth every penny. It’s totally transformed the guitar for the better. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    Rob Williams did an outstanding stainless refret on my Les Paul for £250, but that price is out of date as it was in 2017.

It still looks and plays like he did it yesterday though. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    andy_k said:

A recent thread was discussing a new B stock, high end Harley Benton, with SS frets in slightly rough condition, (maybe) and fully loaded with EMGs, Grovers, etc, which was sold for under £400.

A significant proportion of the labour on a good fret job is spent dressing the frets, significantly more so on SS.   the cost saving on the HB comes from skimping at this point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    andy_k said:

A significant proportion of the labour on a good fret job is spent dressing the frets, significantly more so on SS.   the cost saving on the HB comes from skimping at this point
    I absolutely understand that, and on that thread I was mentioning the fact that in that particular case, the frets were probably pressed in.
    A level and polish is probably a step that never initially happens in that situation, and the only additional work would have been to round over the fret ends, itself a hard job on SS, I am a metalworker and have had a lot of experience of working with SS.
    I guess I can see that if the frets are pressed in well with the correct tools, there would be no real need to perform a level and polish on a fresh set of frets, probably the same situation on the Allparts necks I mention.
    It does make a difference, but I don't suspect the major manufacturers are doing a level and polish on a new instrument either, as levelling will involve crowning and polishing too, not required on pressed in brand new frets. Maybe they polish and address issues. Hammered in frets will be a different scenario, as this is a less efficient method and could create some extra work.
    I know this is a different discussion to a refret, but it is something to think about.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    A lot of work will also go into removing the old frets with the utmost care to prevent damage to the fret board. Then any refinishing afterwards. 
    Love SS, the fretwork on my Anderson is a work of art. So smooth to play on. 
    As for HB SS, i’m guessing  there's hb stainless and then actual stainless
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    edited May 2021
    andy_k said:
    WezV said:
    andy_k said:

I absolutely understand that, and on that thread I was mentioning the fact that in that particular case, the frets were probably pressed in.
    A level and polish is probably a step that never initially happens in that situation, and the only additional work would have been to round over the fret ends, itself a hard job on SS, I am a metalworker and have had a lot of experience of working with SS.
    I guess I can see that if the frets are pressed in well with the correct tools, there would be no real need to perform a level and polish on a fresh set of frets, probably the same situation on the Allparts necks I mention.
    It does make a difference, but I don't suspect the major manufacturers are doing a level and polish on a new instrument either, as levelling will involve crowning and polishing too, not required on pressed in brand new frets. Maybe they polish and address issues. Hammered in frets will be a different scenario, as this is a less efficient method and could create some extra work.
    I know this is a different discussion to a refret, but it is something to think about.
    i can't speak for most aftermarket SS necks.  I have had a few warmoth ones with SS frets.  only one that was so consistently fretted it didn't need any leveling at all, still needed the ends dressing a bit.  Most were playable, but not perfect.  I can say with some certainty that allparts necks definitely need a level, dress and polish.  They are good well made necks, but they are box fresh and should not be purchased on the assumption they will play their best without further work

I don't use a hammer to fret.  Not sure many do these day.  I press each one individually.  it almost certainly is less consistent than a factory can do on a giant pressure controlled press... but the process of pressing consistent metal into inconsistent wood will still mean most factory guitars benefit from a level and polish.  It's worth considering the time and cost of the potential work when buying a cheaper guitar with a material that is harder to service

There is no point having SS frets at all if they are going to be left in a slightly rough condition. SS will just stay rough until something is done about it

tFB Trader
    No doubt that those SS equipped HB guitars are amazing bang for the buck , and even more amazing once they have been given some TLC  to finesse everything. Is their Stainless steel as hard a variety as other types? Jury is still out on that ...
    Most Warmoth, Allparts and other aftermarket necks still benefit from a fret dress and having the fret ends softened a bit.

refrets are one of those jobs where the old adage of "preparation being everything" and certainly good procedures and practices result in a clean and well executed job.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

All points taken, as you were.
    Still interested in a rough figure for a standard re-fret, asking for a friend.
    edited May 2021 tFB Trader
    Standard refret with us will run from £300-£350
    Somewhere between 5-6 hours labour, some fretwire, maybe a new nut, and  some strings

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Just a thought, don’t dismiss Jescar fretwire as staiinless can sound a bit “tizzy” on some guitars 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    sweepy said:
    Just a thought, don’t dismiss Jescar fretwire as staiinless can sound a bit “tizzy” on some guitars 
    I was going to say this, but thought I might sound like a broken record. Jescar EVO is also easier to work that stainless steel.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415
    sweepy said:

That's my worry with stainless.

I did have a chat with Charlie Chandler a while back.  He will do stainless, but he said it can change the tone, and add top end.  I think he mentioned Jescar as an option.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I'm slightly obsessed with the idea of stainless steel frets, I'd love to try them but none of my guitars are ever likely to need a refret - I just don't spend enough time wearing them out - so it'll probably never happen.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm slightly obsessed with the idea of stainless steel frets, I'd love to try them but none of my guitars are ever likely to need a refret - I just don't spend enough time wearing them out - so it'll probably never happen.

I was thinking about SS as I can be quite heavy on frets.  I've got better in recent years though.  I had a guitar with jumbo frets for a bit, which was very educational, as I kept pulling notes sharp as i was pressing far too hard on the strings.   I think it was spending some of my formative years on guitar with an acoustic with 13s on it that got me in the habit of pressing hard.  I have made a real effort to lighten my touch.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I won't use stainless steel personally, I'm happy with jescar nickel tbh. I play unplugged alot and like the tone I've got.

I will try Evo gold on something at some point that seems to be a good compromise.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)