Giving guitars to charity

What's Hot
ShmooShmoo Frets: 109
Hi all. I currently have a number of guitars in storage that don't see use. Some of the lower/ midrange ones I'm thinking to give away, to allow someone without previous access to guitars to be able to play - be it students, military veterans, those down on their luck etc. Does anyone know of any charity or place to approach or donate to. Many thanks.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I do some teaching for a charity called Hope Creative in Bristol that gives music lessons to children and young people in care. I'm pretty sure they'd take them. I can put you in touch if you want.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    It's a great idea giving surplus equipment to charities, but make sure it's the right type of charity. Every year I make a few guitars from surplus stock and give them to Chickenshed, who are a theatre charity but also a college of performing arts. I have mentioned them before on the fretboard. When the Covid shutdown is over they will be starting up there Saturday morning music lessons again for all abilities but mainly youngsters, who do not have their own musical instruments. The teachers who run these courses give their time for free. Most of the youngsters who come in will not have a musical instrument so I gladly give them a few guitars each year. My experience has always been when a youngster is trying to learn guitar it needs to be a fairly good one, not necessarily a custom shop Les Paul or Strat, any guitar that is set up well, a nice size neck for a youngster. 

https://www.chickenshed.org.uk

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    A lovely gesture.

Sounds like something that @Legionreturns may be interested in or can advise on as his "you bring the band" thing works with kids who might not get the chance to otherwise?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Billy Bragg used to do the Jail Guitar Doors thing - acoustics for prisioners - looks like it's defunct now ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1344
    There is a chap on Basschat called uselessamateur who refurbishes guitars and donates them to the joe strummer foundation- they go to schools and other appropriate causes. I sent him a bass a few weeks ago. I can put you in touch if you like
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    GSPBASSES said:
    make sure it's the right type of charity … music lessons … for all abilities but mainly youngsters, who do not have their own musical instruments. The teachers who run these courses give their time for free.
    A friend of mine does exactly this sort of thing for the local branch of MIND. One of her duties is to be part of the team that take the instruments to institutions so that the residents can enjoy some music therapy.

Some of the equipment is purchased brand new with an appropriate education sector discount. Some is donated. I forget what paperwork is necessary to account for the monetary/replacement value of donated items.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    A lovely gesture.

Sounds like something that @Legionreturns may be interested in or can advise on as his "you bring the band" thing works with kids who might not get the chance to otherwise?
    Thanks for the mention! 

I am currently working with 8 different kids in care, none of which have their own instruments, so I often lend out some of the cheaper ones from my fleet. I really wish I could donate them permanently, but I'm afraid I just don't make enough from what I do to cover the cost. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom