Acoustic string journal

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    I'm a big fan of Sunbeams. Tried them on two or three different guitars so far, with good results every time. 

Has anyone tried DR Veritas? Apparently they are much the same as Sunbeams only coated. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @cryptid If you have problems finding DR Sunbeams, try Icon Music over in Melton Mowbray.

Not the quickest mail order but he can usually get stuff. :) 
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Tannin said:
    Has anyone tried DR Veritas? Apparently they are much the same as Sunbeams only coated. 
    Not I... if they sound like Sunbeams but last longer, I'm interested. 

Might have to try a set straight after the Sunbeams while the sound is still fresh in my mind.
    I bought a bunch of DR strings about two years ago. Sunbeam, Rare, Dragonskin, Veritas. 

I may be wrong, so bear it in mind, but I thought Veritas are hex core. Sunbeams are definitely round core. 

But, yes, Veritas are coated, as are Dragonskin :) 
    @Mellish After a quick look, you're not wrong there. 

I do like the flexibility of the round core Sunbeams but I'd happily trade some of that for longevity if they sound at all similar. Will report back :) 
    @Cryptid IIRC Veritas are OK (a bit more bottom end than Sunbeam) but nothing special.

YMMV depending on *your* guitar of course :) 
    I ordered a set of Veritas to try today. I also have various other interesting strings on the way, all proceeding hither at the usual  breakneck pace of a sleepy glacier. 

Ahem. Dear Post Office  (cc various worldwide freight and parcel companies), the pandemic is over. You can start delivering  (at least some) of your airmail is the same bloody month it was sent. Or else charge me seamail rates for it, 'coz in your average "express" airmail delivery time from the USA  a typical merchant ship sails from Seattle to Melbourne and back.

@Tannin ; - good luck with that mate!
    I've had a set of Bob Colosi (US) bone bridge pins on order for six months and still nothing.

DR-wise, I've got Rare and Dragonskin on order :) 
    Ahh, I've got those two on my "try these soon" list. I'm getting to have a lot of time for DR strings. But not yet - I just counted up and I have 42 sets of strings on hand or on order, and only 7 guitars to put them on. 

(That's not as nutty as it sounds. By the time yesterday's order gets here I'll have used another six or eight sets, and they don't seem to go off, not even the ones in plain paper packets (cough cough John Pierce), perhaps because we keep the  house at a reasonably constant temperature and humidity. I can (and sometimes do) buy strings locally but the range is limited and "local" is a one hour round trip drive, so it's best to order ahead.)
    I've got 28 sets and one guitar :)

I've also got the wrong chemistry, so although it may sound a lot  they won't last long. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
    edited May 2022
    I’ve used Veritas on my electrics for some time and been impressed, just fitted a set to my Brook and found a big improvement in tone over Newtone Heritage that were previously on it. Veritas are round core strings, they don’t feel as low tension as the Newtones were, however I will certainly use them again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I stand corrected! I'd read somewhere that Veritas were hex core, but on their own website they're described as "Round Core Wire reinforced with Accurate Core Technology™" Will have to order a pack to try after the Sunbeams. 

I think DR has changed distributor in the UK.

Small stores that could get them before no longer can because, apparently, the distributor wants £500 orders :/
    edited June 2022
    Updates today:

Newtone Masterclass round core on the spruce and  rosewood Messiah. I reviewed these in another thread. A mixed bag with good and bad, mostly bad.  I replaced them with GHS Silk and bronze - very different. Not really my thing but excellent in their own way. Then back to the outstanding DR Sunbeams.

For the Guild, a set of Santa Cruz Parabolic Medium Tension were very good strings but not the answer I was looking for. The D'Addario Nickel Bronze, however, were. They have transformed this guitar; made it controllable and far more melodic.

For the new WA May. Cleartones were OK, the Curt Mangan Round Core very good indeed.

Finally, I tried Martin Flexible Core (Tommy Emmanuel signature) on the little Mineur (very much a fingerstyle guitar). They were good but nothing to write home about. I replaced them with another set of the very expensive Dogal Phosphor Bronze Round Core strings I cut off unplayed in a fit of temper back in February. Their non-standard oversize ball ends are a right pain in the arse and I always say never judge a string until you've had it on overnight, but I've never heard this guitar sound better. 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 560
    I have tried most of the popular brands of strings on my TW 45DLX.not been happy with any of them,then I tried EB earthwood rock and blues and I have used them for the last 15years or so,they sound so sweet.
    They are 10' s and probably would not sound as good on a larger bodied guitar but for me they are ideal for smaller bodies
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I have a set of £4.99 Harley Benton 12s arrived to try …
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 560
    How much did you pay plus postage Sev,let us know what they are like!!
    edited June 2022
    So far, I've discovered my Dove likes D'Addario EJ16 and D'Addario XT. Both ring on this guitar.

It doesn't like Elixir Nanoweb (too bassy), doesn't like Pyramid Western Folk, and John Pearse just sound dead.

I'm waiting for Gibson strings to start production again, though I suspect they may actually be made by D'Addario to Gibson specs  
    Tried the Veritas yet @Tannin ;?

I've just put a set of 12's on my Sheryl Crow C&W, replacing the Sunbeams which were great but didn't last quite as long as I'd hoped (2 rehearsals).

After an hour of playing in I'm very happy indeed. A little more bass, more volume, and little less of the almost-biting crystalline highs of the Sunbeams - all of which seem to suit this guitar better making for a very rich, sweet and balanced tone. 

They seem to lock in tune and intonate beautifully up the neck. Time will tell how long they last, but even if they go twice as long as the Sunbeams, I'll be stocking up :) 

I've ordered some Newtone Heritage 11's for my Spanish heel folk guitar with no truss rod - even less tension than JP Silk & Steel which keep the guitar happy but go dead if you look at them wrong.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow! That sounds very like The Perfect String™ @Cryptid. At about £8 a set too. No, my Veritas finally arrived on Friday but I haven't tried them yet. I think the Messiah (spruce and rosewood 808, currently fitted with Sumbeams) would be the prime candidate for them - I love the Sunbeams on it but they are just a fraction too toppy for it. So Veritas might be ideal.