I am tempted to buy one of those cheap Klon/e on eBay

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
edited May 2021 in FX

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like the way he describes it as 'very rare and hard to come by'.
    There are literally thousands on eBay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Well, rarer and more hard to come by than, say, hydrogen. Or water. It's all relative. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Lol, made a cheeky £40 offer and accepted.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    And now you wish you’d gone lower?  ;)
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    If you don’t have an original, how will you know what it’s supposed to sound like? 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Electronics isn't magic, and overdrives tend to be very basic circuits. There's no real reason why a cheap clone shouldn't sound almost identical to the real deal. Yes, there's parts tolerances but that's true of lots of "original" pedals too.

The reason I don't buy copies is the ethics, not the sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Electronics isn't magic, and overdrives tend to be very basic circuits. There's no real reason why a cheap clone shouldn't sound almost identical to the real deal. Yes, there's parts tolerances but that's true of lots of "original" pedals too.

True, I would rather get the real thing but with a Klon, the only new one where the money goes to Bill are his once in a year "pay for a friend's problem" eBay auction.  Even the KTR has disappeared with no new stock.  It's impossible to give Bill my money direct.

Then there is everyone else and everyone else works just as hard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    If you don’t have an original, how will you know what it’s supposed to sound like? 
    UnclePsychosis is right. But the other thing is, it doesn't matter. You'll either like it or not, and it's maybe *better* if it's that simple, vs trying to hold it up to some mythical ideal that itself is utterly confused by the silly market price.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897

True, I would rather get the real thing but with a Klon, the only new one where the money goes to Bill are his once in a year "pay for a friend's problem" eBay auction.  Even the KTR has disappeared with no new stock.  It's impossible to give Bill my money direct.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy a real Klon for exactly the same reasons. Not judging! 

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy a real Klon for exactly the same reasons. Not judging! 
    If he goes back to making the original with his old pricing, 100% but at the moment, I just pick the one that visually appeals to me honestly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    Cirrus said:
    UnclePsychosis is right. But the other thing is, it doesn't matter. You'll either like it or not, and it's maybe *better* if it's that simple, vs trying to hold it up to some mythical ideal that itself is utterly confused by the silly market price.
    I agree, but having never played a Klon or KTR myself, I am just aware that given any boost/overdrive pedal in a Klon like box I'd have no way of knowing whether it was a Klon or not. I have no frame of reference, and likely never will.

Get yourself a Demiurge Manhorse instead, probably takes up less space and you get to have a little giggle at the graphic too.

Also have Behringer not made a Klon? Given the success of the their Tubescreamer clone it seems a bit mad if they haven't.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6678
    You can always buy my Tumnus Deluxe. Every bit as good, only better....  ;)