Vintage p90 Question

I have a pair of vintage (1950's) soapbar p90's that would sound a lot better actually in something. The obvious choice is an R4 / R6 or something like that. However I've heard that vintage soapbar p90's wont fit in modern reissues? Anyone have any further info on this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    The corners can be a bit different even on modern covers from different sources.  Many are quite square looking and not like a soapbar at all.  

Can you measure the pickups you have and compare against the easier to find specs for modern gibson covers.

If there is a mismatch, it shouldn't be hard to overcome... or there are many builders who would be happy to build you something around the 50's P-90's.  Not a cheap option, but neither is modding an R4/6 
  • Thanks @WezV  so is it the covers that are the issue? Ill take some measurements and find some measurements like you said of existing ones. long term im potentially open to a build but would prefer a drop in to an R4. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    edited May 2021
    there are other differences with the baseplate style and overall depth of pickup, but its likely to be the cover that decides whether they fit easily in the same route or not.
  • WezV said:
    there are other differences with the baseplate style and overall depth of pickup, but its likely to be the cover that decides whether they fit easily in the same route or not.
    Ah i see, im actually open to using covers if need be so maybe it won't be so much of an issue. But i will take some measurements against some newer ones. 

Thanks