SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Gibson The Paul

What's Hot
WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 87
Hello am very interested in buying a 1979 Gibson the Paul. Ideally all original with T top pickups. If anyone out there has one they no longer want I could give it a new home if the price is right.

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Hello, good morning and welcome.

This thread will probably attract more replies if relocated in the Guitars £ section. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 87
    Thanks
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    moved
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • paul111spaul111s Frets: 119
    edited May 2021
    One just popped up on fleabay, item
     number is 324643066776
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    Any clue as to roughly what "the price is right" might be? Values & asking prices for guitars are a teeny bit volatile at the moment  ;) 

edited May 2021
    I have seen them advertised over the last 12 months from £800 to £1750. Ideally as low as possible, but I am not really sure what is a ‘good’ price. £1750 seems a lot when some a couple have sold around the £900 £1000 mark, but realise that prices fluctuate. Have just shifted some gear so now have money burning a hole in my pocket. Probably wouldn’t want to pay much more over £1000 if I don’t have to, but if a nice one comes along am willing to stretch a little further.
    WBT2079 said:
    I have seen them advertised over the last 12 months from £800 to £1750. Ideally as low as possible, but I am not really sure what is a ‘good’ price. £1750 seems a lot when some a couple have sold around the £900 £1000 mark, but realise that prices fluctuate. Have just shifted some gear so now have money burning a hole in my pocket. Probably wouldn’t want to pay much more over £1000 if I don’t have to, but if a nice one comes along am willing to stretch a little further.
    Yeah, I understand your view regarding the pricing & fluctuation too.
    This might seem a daft question, is this a significant birth date guitar acquisition thing ?

No, not a birth date acquisition. I have always liked them nice plain and simple, but I don’t want the fire brand which I think is 80 ish?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Loved my The Paul and now you've raised it, really rather regret selling it...

No affiliation, but have you seen the one on FleaBay?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    WBT2079 said:
    No, not a birth date acquisition. I have always liked them nice plain and simple, but I don’t want the fire brand which I think is 80 ish?
    As I understand, the Firebrands ran concurrently with "The Paul's" from '78 until the Paul's were dropped in '81.
    Having had both, I prefer the the Paul over the early natural finished Firebrands. I thought the Paul felt & sounded better & I really didn't like the highly open pored mahogany & 'branded' logo of the Firebrand. It just looked too rustic/rough, even though it was actually OK.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    edited May 2021 tFB Trader
    As I understand, the Firebrands ran concurrently with "The Paul's" from '78 until the Paul's were dropped in '81.
    Here's the 1980 Gibson catalogue showing walnut The Paul Standard and The Paul Deluxe which is mahogany with the branded headstock. 
    https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1980_index.php

Here's the 1980 Gibson catalogue showing walnut The Paul Standard and The Paul Deluxe which is mahogany with the branded headstock. 
    https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1980_index.php

Cheers Steve. I (possibly vaguely) always think of the walnut versions as 'The Paul's' and mahogany versions as Firebrands  ;)
    Thanks everyone. Am keeping an eye on the one on the bay, so we shall see what happens.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Any clue as to roughly what "the price is right" might be?
    It was a tacky game show, the UK version of which was originally presented by Leslie Crowther.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    Any clue as to roughly what "the price is right" might be? Values & asking prices for guitars are a teeny bit volatile at the moment  ;) 

One of the greatest shows ever.Full of intellect, wisdom and brain powered precision. This show educated even the most intelligent intellects and even Albert Einstein would have learnt quite a lot from this show alone.
    Highly recommended and definitely an education for your kids.
  • steviebee74steviebee74 Frets: 33
    If I remember correctly, the Paul didn’t come with a pick guard so the eBay one has had one added. The one on the other auction site comes with a period-correct “chainsaw” case.
    edited May 2021
    If I remember correctly, the Paul didn’t come with a pick guard so the eBay one has had one added. The one on the other auction site comes with a period-correct “chainsaw” case.
    You are right, the pick guard is aftermarket, but the description mentions this.
    Not all of them came with Protector/chainsaw cases so it's a plus to have one, but it's Gardiner Houlgate so add about 26% to auction end sold prices. Maybe not so much of a bargain then...  ;) 
    @WBT2079  if you can't find what you are looking for, drop me a line.
    I have a 1979 walnut The Paul
    that I may possibly be persuaded to let go of.
    Not flawless or immaculate by any description, but an honest guitar, complete with it's T-tops. It appears in some random pics here from when @JerkMoans was talking about his then latest acquisition (it's the one on the left in the pics). https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/174282/ngd-the-paul-content/p1
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    If buying one as a keeper, be prepared to have it refretted (and please get a "good refret")
    Late 70s /early 80s frets were often low and flat to begin with and after 40 years of abuse ......you get the picture
    Obviously you can choose what size frets to have
    A well done refret will also sort out any issues that will have crept in for the fretboard too, so a good thing.

I am, as has been seen in other discussions on here a bit of a "the Paul" fan - they punch so high above their weight and cost.

I have one of our own build that is a valued member in my own arsenal of guitars

Here it is naked before the paint - lovely and simple  guitar

We even did one with a little chambering and just an oil finish 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!