SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Withdrawn: Gibson SG Classic - P90s - 2004

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5584
edited March 2023 in Guitars £
I've had this for a couple of years, enjoy it, but have come to the conclusion that I'm fundamentally a humbucker man.

Very good condition, includes Gibson hard case, truss rod tool, allen key, bit of pointless cardboard etc.

There are a few minor marks on the body, but nothing outrageous, certainly not for a 17 year old guitar that's been played.

There is one tiny blip on the back of the neck which someone more skilled than me could probably deal with easily. It's hard to see with the naked eye, but you can feel it rubbing your hand over the neck. It has never affected my playing. I've included a zoomed in photo to show it, which definitely makes it look worse than it is.

Case has a couple of minor scuffs on the bottom edge of the top and some paint transfer at the top on the rear, although this will clean off carefully (leant it against the wall in the home office, forgetting that the paint is rubbish and prefers to stick to anything other than the actual wall).

I completely fail to understand SG pricing, but these appear to be going for north of £1k on the usual selling sites.

So, to you lovely lot on here, £875 ono.
"From the Fretboard it came, to the Fretboard it shall return".

Not shipping (Gibson, headstock, paranoia), but visitors welcome (Hertford) or can meet up within a reasonable distance. I'm going to be travelling about the place a fair bit over the next few weeks too, so you never know your luck.

If the photos below don't show what you need to see, let me know, I'll send more.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 55
    I have played this... It's fabaroonie...  =)

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7356
    looks a splendid piece of kit this
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5584
    @GJK1959 thanks for the testimonial :)
    Just a little bump
    Casual bump for some P90 love
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    I have a major boner for this guitar. Not gonna try to hide it.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • FretboredFretbored Frets: 60
    The guitar looks rather horny too...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    At the risk of damage to @Trude's underwear, a minor bump. Console yourself at the loss of the Euro's (if you're English and care) with a new guitar day ...
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6884
    I have one of these from 2009. Mine has a PCB under the hood but sounds absolutely great. I've had no desire to replace the PBC as it works perfectly (at the moment) and certainly no desire to replace the pickups either. And the neck is a really great chunky size and shape. 

A keeper for me. 

Free bump. 
    Time for Mr Tickle to give this a Mr Bump ...
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 146
    PM’d re possible trades
    Guess it's time to give this a casual bump.

Regarding trades, they're not out of the question, but I have a relatively limited pool of things I'd be interested in at the moment:

- half-decent dreadnaught acoustic
    - something quirky and humbuckery, e.g. PRS S2 Vela
    - something proper left-field

Strats, Tele's, LPs need not apply as I've got enough of those to satisfy my modest needs :)
  • blowinblowin Frets: 7
    Oh god.

Came on here to check my 'WTB Epiphone SG in N. Herts for my fourteen year old' post. Decided to have a little look as I'm here. And then this appears – 15 minutes down the road.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2931
    These classics with the P90s are the quintessential SGs in my humble opinion. The Gibson P90s are brilliant and are very, very good both clean and dirty. I miss my old one I had. Someone buy it. Won’t be disappointed. 
  • What is the neck profile please? 
    Also realised this is the same guitar I've been watching on gumtree. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hi Bo, yes, it's the same one.  Always put them up here first, then Gumtree at a higher price because Gumtree isn't here :)

I don't know what the profile is, but I'll see what I can find out/measure it. "Comfortable to me" and I'm used to a 1998 LP Studio and a Guild Starfire mainly. 
    @BowynMadley Hands in the air, I really struggle with neck profile descriptions, but according to the calipers and my cack-hands the nut is 43mm wide, and depth at the nut is ~22mm and at 12th fret depth is ~25mm (unless I've made a total mess of measuring, which is quite possible).

In terms of the actual profile I'd say it's a C/shallow-ish C?

I've tried to find some reference pics (and obviousl I'm not keen on chopping the headstock off to get a proper cross-section ;) ) and based on this image I'd say it's closest to the 1960, but not quite as shallow.

All of which is probably of no help at all :(
  • If your les paul studio is similar to mine (I have a 1992 and a 1996) it will be a slim C but they got slightly bigger tail end of the 90s.
    Once more with feeling ...
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2464
    Gobsmacked this is still here. Cracking guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom