SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wtb surf green avri double bound 62 reissue telecaster. Sorted

What's Hot
HowardHoward Frets: 2
edited June 2021 in Guitars £
Any one want to sell me an American vintage reissue double bound surf green 62 reissue telecaster. Thanks. Sorted
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 682
    Holy crap, do these exist? Me too, now! That's must be a glorious combo!
  • HowardHoward Frets: 2
    Sure do. Made between 2002 and 2012. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    Indeed they do exist but they very rarely appear available as I think they are typically kept. 

I spent many months hunting for one and I finally found a close to pristine one so I bought it. 

If you wish to see some pics of it to keep the saliva flowing I’d be happy to oblige, but to clear, it’s not for sale. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Always happy to see photos, thank you. I figured they’d be difficult to find. There’s two on reverb, one in the states and the other Canada, but I’m not sure how wise it’d be buying one of them. Out of interest how’s the neck, I’ve read that they’re a quite skinny c shape. 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I used to hAve one of these when they first came out.
    Gorgeous guitars and also been looking for one to turn up for a while.

The neck was slim from what I remember but also consider the 7.5 radius and vintage frets don’t make them the easiest guitars to play.
    I don’t mind the vintage radius and specs, I have a couple of strats with similar necks. I am thinking if one doesn’t turn up of getting one custom made, then I can have more modern specs. 
    Howard said:
    Always happy to see photos, thank you. I figured they’d be difficult to find. There’s two on reverb, one in the states and the other Canada, but I’m not sure how wise it’d be buying one of them. Out of interest how’s the neck, I’ve read that they’re a quite skinny c shape. 
    Sure I’ll fish them out and post pics here. 
    Neck is Slim. It not skinny. Very nicely shaped. Nut is a touch narrower I think. Not a problem for me I can deal with all necks pretty much.  

Getting from Canada or US is like 25 percent plus on top of the list price with taxes delivery conversion rates etc. 
    That’d be great. Agree it’s not a good idea to ship over from the USA. To be quite honest if one doesn’t turn up I’ll probably get Scott from SC Relics to do me a body when he reopens his order books and build a parts caster. I’ve got some of Scott’s work and it’s excellent. Either that or I might buy a body from guitar build and give it a go spraying it myself! As you can tell, I really want a surf green double bound telecaster in my life. 
    I’ve seen that. This is the link to the video. I’m not confident enough to buy a guitar from the states and ship it over. If that was over here I’d have bought it already. Thanks for the link though. 
    https://youtu.be/gupUk_ctHe4
    Here's mine, a close-to pristine 2007 including shots of the neck profile. The '62 Custom bridge pickup is one of my faves.
    IMG_0200JPG

IMG_0206JPG

IMG_0216JPG

IMG_0229JPG

IMG_0222JPG

IMG_0240JPG

IMG_0252JPG

IMG_0256JPG

IMG_0220JPG

IMG_0234JPG
    Regarding the neck profile additional shots of the neck profile. 
    IMG_0230bJPG

IMG_0211JPG

IMG_0230JPG

IMG_0269JPG

IMG_0273JPG

IMG_0275JPG

IMG_0226JPG

happy to take any questions

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That is gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures. What sort of weight is she. I take it as it is a 62 reissue it has standard wiring, non dark circuit. Can see why you don’t want to sell her! 
    Howard said:
    That is gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures. What sort of weight is she. I take it as it is a 62 reissue it has standard wiring, non dark circuit. Can see why you don’t want to sell her! 
    I've never weight it. feels about standard ie 7 and half pounds nice balance.
    I bought it (about 3 years ago) used with modern wiring in place not dark circuit. 

That’s a good weight. If it’s not a rude question ( you can decline to say ) how much did you pay. Mind you that would have been before the covid added tax! 
    edited May 2021
    Howard said:
    That’s a good weight. If it’s not a rude question ( you can decline to say ) how much did you pay. Mind you that would have been before the covid added tax! 
    995 cash with all the original case and bits from a shop selling for a customer. 

Total steal by today's prices ... it seems to have done better than any shares!

we don't see many of these over here certainly in that scheme because the MIJs and CIJs were what Fender was focusing on for non US market. I asked Fender Customer Relations what the run was in this color and they said "about 800" were made in Surf Green which seemed a lot more than I thought. People have hung on to them I suppose.
    Blimey you did well! Thanks for telling me. Things have gone a bit crackers lately. Still the American originals are £1700+. If I can find one I’m expecting to pay £1500 depending on condition. There’s a candy apple red one on reverb for £1500, but they are saying its a 2012, and from what I’ve seen they weren’t done in that colour that year. I’ve seen the Japanese ones, but I prefer nitro. The Japanese reissues I’ve played have always had quite thick poly, which I really don’t like and they won’t age gracefully. Have you ever seen a custom shop version? I thought I’d give it a go on the forum first before I explored other avenues, but think it’ll have to be a custom shop, I really want this colour combination, and the avri’s are universally considered to be excellent. 
    Howard said:
    Blimey you did well! Thanks for telling me. Things have gone a bit crackers lately. Still the American originals are £1700+. If I can find one I’m expecting to pay £1500 depending on condition. There’s a candy apple red one on reverb for £1500, but they are saying its a 2012, and from what I’ve seen they weren’t done in that colour that year. I’ve seen the Japanese ones, but I prefer nitro. The Japanese reissues I’ve played have always had quite thick poly, which I really don’t like and they won’t age gracefully. Have you ever seen a custom shop version? I thought I’d give it a go on the forum first before I explored other avenues, but think it’ll have to be a custom shop, I really want this colour combination, and the avri’s are universally considered to be excellent. 
    I've got a bunch of Custom types. My very favourite is my own build tbh with a Fender Original Vintage neck and a Rexter body in Dark Racing Green. It's stunning and plays superbly.

My mid 80s MIJ plays better than the AVRI but it's been played a lot and is really worn in. Not nitro of course - indestructible poly - and the pickups and electronics all swapped out.

I've seen relic CS customs in shops and played a couple in a PMS store in the last couple of years. Definitely a notch up from AVRI they have different specs of course with bigger frets and flatter radius. 

But the Surf Green AVRI I honestly bought because I wanted one for the whole thing and the looks played a big part in that - never really wanted a sunburst one.
    I’ve got everything from an 85 Tokai strat through Mexican, Japanese, USA and custom shop, but my favourite at the moment is my self built telecaster with a neck and body from Scott at SC Relics, did all the assembly, wiring and set up. Im maybe leaning towards this route again, but Scott’s order books are closed and I’m not sure how long before they open again. A good guitar is a good guitar no matter what level, but I must admit I’ve played a fair few custom  shops and relics and I do prefer a guitar with a little wear and character on them. This guitar would tick many boxes in the collection; I haven’t got a surf green fender, or a double bound telecaster, or an avri. Funny thing is, I’ve only got one amp, a Cornell Romany plus. Strange cos an amp makes more of a difference to tone than different versions of the same  guitar. We’re an odd bunch us guitar enthusiasts.   
    @Howard not surf green but in case of interest, Ocean Metallic looks very nice. Price is rather hard to swallow....

https://reverb.com/uk/p/fender-american-vintage-62-telecaster-custom

Thanks, but really after a surf green and yep bit overpriced for me. You could get a new American original for that sort of money.