Marcus King Live session

What's Hot
sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pruddprudd Frets: 660
    Thanks for posting this Ian, really like Marcus's playing, got to see him live a while back, very soulful player and so young.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30893
    One of the very best sessions I have ever seen.

Quite remarkable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice! Hadn't heard of him before. Another one for my "Modern Guitar Heroes" Spotify playlist.
  • pruddprudd Frets: 660
    Nice! Hadn't heard of him before. Another one for my "Modern Guitar Heroes" Spotify playlist.
    I discovered Marcus by chance back in 2017 when he was involved in a jam on the Keeping the Blues Alive Cruise thingy. Definitely a player to watch.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30893
    prudd said:
    Nice! Hadn't heard of him before. Another one for my "Modern Guitar Heroes" Spotify playlist.
    I discovered Marcus by chance back in 2017 when he was involved in a jam on the Keeping the Blues Alive Cruise thingy. Definitely a player to watch.

I discovered him on the Clapton Crossroads gig.

I thought he must be the lovechild of Ceelo Green, Duane Allman and Boss Hogg.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    He always reminds me of the character in Catch the Pigeon tbh 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    Gassage said:
    prudd said:

I discovered him on the Clapton Crossroads gig.

I thought he must be the lovechild of Ceelo Green, Duane Allman and Boss Hogg.
    Definitely Boss Hogg's love child, but what a player! Got to see him live in Camden last year just before the lockdown. Bloody brilliant musician!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Not sure I can think of anyone with a better combination of guitar chops and vocal ability.. And I mean now or ever... Amazing talent. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    I saw him four years ago at the 100 Club....amazing singer and player...BUT...those talents over shadow the songs. Nothing memorable to take away. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Strat54 said:
    I saw him four years ago at the 100 Club....amazing singer and player...BUT...those talents over shadow the songs. Nothing memorable to take away. 
    I disagree. I think he's got some great songs, and his songwriting continues to improve 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited July 2021
    Strat54 said:

The album El Dorado is an attempt to reposition him as a country-soul singer-songwriter who also happens to be a very good guitarist rather than just another blooze virtuoso. He consistently comes up with good, memorable melodic song ideas throughout the album.  The problem he faces is that the stylings are still pretty retro - inevitably it can sound a bit second hand.  But if you accept that he’s working within specific genre conventions I think he’s an excellent songwriter.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    prudd said:
    Same and he's quite a talent. Great voice and player and he's still only 25.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Agreed cracking voice and player. Read he moved to Nashville for his last album. Brilliant songwriter.

But I didn't enjoy El Dorado much as the Marcus King Band stuff. Not because it wasn't as good, just preferred his former style.