Ian Elson Guitars - AVOID!!

What's Hot

Comments

• WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    To be fair to Ian Elson he did tweet that the guitar was going to have a life of hardship and abuse.How prophetic  https://imgur.com/6EEVERM
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    ICBM said:
    I was worried it might be a case of buyer's remorse or needing to hear both sides of the story too, but the guitar speaks for itself.

Appalling. Worse than most DIY builds and 'luthier course' guitars I've seen... not remotely acceptable as a commercial product he's charging money for. There's also a horrendously bodged fingerboard inlay dot in the first pic, which seems to have been overlooked in the catalogue of other faults.

Add shady business practices and outright lies on top and it really isn't a good picture.
    I thought that too about the inlay! 

I think its the 12th fret though, and what we see is one of the outside markers going by the website pic, but yeah it still looks like it’s been drawn on with marker pen. 

The screws are a joke too I thought. I’m not sure what screws are correct for the job but they look like general diy screws I would buy from b&q to put a shelf up with, and theyre half mangled already lol. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

To be fair to Ian Elson he did tweet that the guitar was going to have a life of hardship and abuse.How prophetic  https://imgur.com/6EEVERM
    Haha, he also said its a non-wobbler, but I feel like throwing a wobbly over it and I didnt even buy it! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mendymendy Frets: 171
    edited May 2021
     =) 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Shocking. I've also been the victim of a custom guitar cowboy builder but in their defence I asked for something very far from their comfort zone and accepted a risk doing that. 
    edited July 2021
     B)
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10200
    That nut slot!!! Shocker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mendy said:
    carlos said:
    Shocking. I've also been the victim of a custom guitar cowboy builder but in their defence I asked for something very far from their comfort zone and accepted a risk doing that. 
    Did you ask for a set of drums?
    Made me laugh that. Comedy goodness!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    That nut slot!!! Shocker. 
    At last there's competition for Cleartone's nuts. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    mendy said:
    carlos said:
    Did you ask for a set of drums?
    Nice.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 441
    He uses a rat to gnaw the nut out!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I'm normally quite forgiving of a few cosmetic flaws on a handmade items, my own builds often have a couple I could point out that I am more aware of than anyone else. It's part of the charm. I'm often surprised when people expect CNC perfection from  a handmade item. ..... so I was fully expecting to defend a handmade item here for showing minor signs of being handmade.   As long as it plays well and sounds great I could overlook a sanding scuff or  an imperfect finish

But yeah, that nut slot, those fret ends, that neck join... all totally unacceptable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    WezV said:
    I'm normally quite forgiving of a few cosmetic flaws on a handmade items, my own builds often have a couple I could point out that I am more aware of than anyone else. It's part of the charm. I'm often surprised when people expect CNC perfection from  a handmade item. ..... so I was fully expecting to defend a handmade item here for showing minor signs of being handmade.   As long as it plays well and sounds great I could overlook a sanding scuff or  an imperfect finish

But yeah, that nut slot, those fret ends, that neck join... all totally unacceptable.
    Afraid I agree.
    I'd be embarrassed to sent something that looked like that out.
    edited July 2021
     B)
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9277
    Jesus.
    I opened this expecting this to be one of those horrible fretboard “I’ve not got exactly what I want so I’m going to slag off the builder, hope this appears in google searches and put the poor guy out of business” threads.
    In this case though, he should be near building guitars or taking hard earned money. My 10 year old could cut a better nut
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3834
    Crikey, what a mess! Nice of you to go to such lengths to help your client, @jimcroisdale ;
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Why are you all moaning ?You can install a Harley Benton upgrade kit for 200 quid .it comprises a neck .body all the bits and bobs and even finished  and assembled to a fairly good standard
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’ve seen guitar shaped cakes that were better built 
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I normally equate hand made with well made, but not in this case.
    He doesn't seem to take any pride at all in his work.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    dindude said:
    I’ve seen guitar shaped cakes that were better built 

I think this one at least has better fret markers:

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom