• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Snap said:
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    Snap said:
    proggy said:
    Snap said:
    proggy said:

I don't know one person that says footy. So quite clearly, not everyone says it. Maybe everyone under the age of 9 does.
    Right. I'm from the north west which is the heartland of footy and I live in Sheffield which has the world's oldest footy club, Hallam. You, from London, don't have this heritage and therefore can't comment. Soz, but that's the end of it. 

'footy' club! Do they play in a 'footy' stadium? Do they wear a 'footy' kit and 'footy' boots?

Yes to all of those questions, obviously!

Rugby football - that's not footy, for the record. It's not even "foot" ball. And it's shit.

Battle cruiser: in true cockerney style, wouldn't this actually be simply "battle"? "Owoight larv, Oim gowin dahn ve battle for a point" Or samink.

I genuinely didn't know what a battle cruiser was, my mate says it all the time. I thought he was talking about his Zafira. 

Yes, Battle, always just say the first word. Like saying "I don't know me ol' china" If you said china plate it wouldn't sound right.
    Well, wouldn't sound like a Cockney would say it.
    Hope that's cleared that up, me ol' china, I'm off now for a nice cuppa gypsy.
    Gypsy’s Kiss = piss
    Rosie Lee = tea

I hope you’re not going to go and have a cup of piss.
    You're right, it is Rosie Lee, I heard somewhere that it came from Gypsy Rose Lee but it didn't.
    To be honest though, it did taste a bit pissy...
    Excellent. Cracked me up. 
    I wonder if any other countries have similar rich and varied dialects? I got a book on Lancashire dialect, it's great. Rhyming slang is fantastic. When you think about what goes into it, it's brilliant. And what's the point?! 

So true. Just a bit of fun really. There is another old dialect called 'back-slang', I don't know much about it, but believe it was used by butchers many years ago. They would take a word and reverse it. It's where the word 'Yob' comes from. Now used to describe a sort of thug type person - it was actually just 'boy' in reverse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Philly_Q said:
    Saka the best player IMO on the night for us - Looked very tasty a few times this season when  I've seen Arsenal on the box and IMO a far better option than Sancho - Don't know why MUFC want to buy Sancho at any price let alone 70/80 million 

Grealish had a good first half, but wasn't sure if he was tired in the 2nd half, but certainly the 2nd half was poor - Granted we did not look like we were hanging on, yet equally we did not have control of the game and take it to them

Listening to the pre-match build-up on the radio last night, after the team was announced, someone commented on how the constant moaning on Twitter had "shifted seamlessly" from why wasn't Grealish starting to why was Saka being picked ahead of Sancho.  Made me laugh, anyway.
    Listening to the radio pre match last night, you'd think Grealish was the fucking messiah and the answer to all our problems...instead of a cocky pratt that's had a half decent spell at a mediocre team. 

Why are our pundits incapable of realistic discourse? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    proggy said:
    To be honest though, it did taste a bit pissy...
    Seems to sum up England’s current form…
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    I’m the system we are playing the full backs need to release the ball early. They didn’t in the 2nd half last night and that is why we ended up passing back all the time. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5104
    A football team is like a band, every member needs to work towards a common goal.  Even that ambition may not be enough but it is a good place to start from.  Having a world class drummer and guitar player in the band lineup does not guarantee success.  It is similar on a football team.

An international football manager must decide how he wants his team to play.  And only then does he select the players who will do that job for him.  The selected players need to be told and to fully buy into the managers strategy or else the team ends up looking a complete shambles.  If the media: print, TV, etc., continually call for certain players to be in the team, the manager has abandoned his strategy if he gives in to this pressure and selects the named players.  If that happens, any success by the team is down to good luck and not by design.

Every football player as in every musician, has strengths and weaknesses.  And an ego.  The ego can be the hardest problem to overcome.  As I see it every player wants to be the match winner, to score the wonder goal (as Modric did against Scotland).  But the team winning is more important than the scorer of the goal.  The player who pulled the centre back out of position has served the team as well as the player who used that space to score.

Let the manager select the team or be prepared to pack your bags for home.  Support the team that is on the field of play, the manager thinks they can do the business so let them get on with it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Sancho is an enigma to me. He is very highly rated in Germany and does play well for Dortmund, but somehow he has not looked great for England or in the CL. I'm not sure man u will be getting a good return on 75 million.

Not seen much of sako, but it was great to see a player driving forwards... Sterling used to do that.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    Just catching up - that was a very convincing score by Spain! 

Got Germany vs Hungary on. Bit of a turn up for the books so far and some amazingly heavy rain - the Hungarians presumably thought it was God smiting homosexuals. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2494
    Germany are bottom of their group. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Lloris should have been sent off for France first half. 
    rze99 said:
    At the moment. Potentially the first time they’ve ever gone out at the group stage? 
    Come on France, 1 more and we get Hungary. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    rze99 said:
    At the moment. Potentially the first time they’ve ever gone out at the group stage? 
    Didn't they fuck up at WC 2018?
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    as it stands now we are lined up against Germany
    phil_b said:
    as it stands now we are lined up against Germany
    As long a Portugal don’t nick a late winner. 
    Tuesday 10 Footballers with rude names  Who Ate all the Pies
    edited June 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    rze99 said:
    Didn't they fuck up at WC 2018?
    Not sure about WC but I think never gone out this early in the EC. Although academic now, they’ll be playing England next week. 
    Exciting match, Hungary did a good job. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2494
    An incredible night of football, I think you’ll agree. I mocked the third place thingy but actually it’s been great for keeping the pace up if a touch unfathomable at times. 

England vs Germany at Wembley. Oh my word, as Motty might have said. 
    rze99 said:
    An incredible night of football, I think you’ll agree. I mocked the third place thingy but actually it’s been great for keeping the pace up if a touch unfathomable at times. 

England vs Germany at Wembley. Oh my word, as Motty might have said. 
    Fuck a duck is all I can muster to say

We’re in a great position if we can beat Germany. 
  • Looks like a very favourable bracket for England. If we can beat Germany (a tough ask, admittedly), then there's only really the Netherlands on our side of the tree that should cause concern.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    I just hope there is not another penalty shootout