0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    DefaultM said:
    Great night!

Certainly was exciting.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    munckee said:

We’re in a great position if we can beat Germany. 

Based on tonight's performance I think we could win. England usually has one great game at any tournament - they haven't had one yet. It could be they raise their game against the old enemy. The crowd will help.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I hate going out to Germany. We are going out to bloody Germany. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    Sorry. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    axisus said:
    I have a feeling based on nothing at all that England will beat Germany. 

I think the Germans have lost momentum, so England will turn up at a packed Wembley in red shirts, poke the ball around in their own half for 88 minutes then snatch a late winner from a free kick while the commentators are still debating who will take the penalties. 

And they'll do all this with ten men while their mouth-breather of a captain jogs slowly around in circles like someone's accidentally wedged a Playstation controller behind a sofa cushion.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Clearly there will be a perfectly good England goal in the last min of extra time, incorrectly ruled out by VAR and Germany will win 5-4 in penalties with Jack Grealish missing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Clearly there will be a perfectly good England goal in the last min of extra time, incorrectly ruled out by VAR and Germany will win 5-4 in penalties with Jack Grealish missing.
    Grealish will have been red carded leading to two years in the wilderness.  Kane's first goal in the tournament will be his penalty, step up Jordan Henderson to try and keep us in it.
  • Does anyone know why the knockout stages games are predetermined? Why don't they draw out of a hat once they know who's qualified? Seems a bit dodgy when you know who can play who.
    Does anyone know why the knockout stages games are predetermined? Why don't they draw out of a hat once they know who's qualified? Seems a bit dodgy when you know who can play who.
    The principle in most tournaments like this is that group winners play runners up from other groups, so there's always an incentive to win because in theory you'll meet a weaker team in the first knockout stage. 

Obviously the best teams have bad days and average teams have good ones so it's not cut and dried, but if it was randomly selected then nobody would have an incentive to do any more than just scrape through, because topping the group would be unnecessary. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Being half German I will root for both Germany and England in the Euro’s and World Cups. 

But this next game.. I kinda don’t want to watch it. 

I reckon either could win. Depends who brings it on the night. 

Unless it goes to penalty’s cos neither make anything happen.. probably will, in which case who bloody knows. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    p90fool said:
    axisus said:

I think the Germans have lost momentum, so England will turn up at a packed Wembley in red shirts, poke the ball around in their own half for 88 minutes then snatch a late winner from a free kick while the commentators are still debating who will take the penalties. 

And they'll do all this with ten men while their mouth-breather of a captain jogs slowly around in circles like someone's accidentally wedged a Playstation controller behind a sofa cushion.

This is all sounding very believable, so you have to predict the goal scorer.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    proggy said:
    p90fool said:
    axisus said:

David Pla… oh, Er, um, Sterling from a header and it’s his second touch of the game
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clearly there will be a perfectly good England goal in the last min of extra time, incorrectly ruled out by VAR and Germany will win 5-4 in penalties with Jack Grealish missing.
    Don't mention the VAR
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edited June 2021
    p90fool said:
    Does anyone know why the knockout stages games are predetermined? Why don't they draw out of a hat once they know who's qualified? Seems a bit dodgy when you know who can play who.
    The principle in most tournaments like this is that group winners play runners up from other groups, so there's always an incentive to win because in theory you'll meet a weaker team in the first knockout stage. 

Obviously the best teams have bad days and average teams have good ones so it's not cut and dried, but if it was randomly selected then nobody would have an incentive to do any more than just scrape through, because topping the group would be unnecessary. 
    So why do UEFA bother doing it in Champs League & Europa?

Also, the teams last night for example knew exactly who they'd play for any result that would happen. It means you get teams playing for a draw or even a loss.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    Belgium v Portugal looks a nice way to spend Sunday evening

Plus we are the only nation with a home match

If we win v Germany then we play in Rome against Ukraine or Sweden
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    p90fool said:

So why do UEFA bother doing it in Champs League & Europa?

Also, the teams last night for example knew exactly who they'd play for any result that would happen. It means you get teams playing for a draw or even a loss.
    In tournaments, they have to make sure each team gets roughly the same rest between games. Hence group A,b,c qualifiers play each other in the last 16, and d,e,f do likewise but later. Groups A,b,c played their final group games sooner.  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1782
    axisus said:

And this is the problem. We go in with an inferiority complex. 
    proggy said:
    p90fool said:
    axisus said:

I thought that was so obvious I didn't bother typing it, the free kick will hit the bar and go in off the back of Manuel Neuer's head. 
    :) 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    I watched France v Portugal. I predict we will be fucked if we meet them, or Belgium, in the further rounds, assuming we even make it past Germany of course. They all look on another planet skill wise.