Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10357
    ronnyb said:
    axisus said:
    I hate going out to Germany. We are going out to bloody Germany. 

And this is the problem. We go in with an inferiority complex. 
    Unless that complex is justified...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    boogieman said:
    I watched France v Portugal. I predict we will be fucked if we meet them, or Belgium, in the further rounds, assuming we even make it past Germany of course. They all look on another planet skill wise. 
    Yes they look good but most of them leaking goals .
    russpm said:
    boogieman said:
    I watched France v Portugal. I predict we will be fucked if we meet them, or Belgium, in the further rounds, assuming we even make it past Germany of course. They all look on another planet skill wise. 
    In fairness I suspect we too would leak goals against the teams in that group of death! Belgium only conceded one goal and have a plus 6 goal difference.

Be interesting to see the England Germany match, I think it's interesting that Germany seem to be getting flack for not being at the top of their game, whereas with England they seem to not be at the top of their game either but that's just because we haven't got going yet. I think you'll see a very different Germany in that knockout match
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    edited June 2021
    I have a sinking feeling 0:0, and we go out on Penalties ... yet again
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    I still don’t know how they decided which of the 4 3rd placed teams played who, and what they would have done if they weren’t all on 4 points ?  Academic now, but I like that sort of thing and feel unbalanced not knowing :)
    It’s a great opportunity looking at the draw. Beat Germany and we have a decent route to the later stages of the competition. It’s time to stand up and be counted for the team and I’m sure they will step up to the challenge.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    edited June 2021
    Now Scotland’s out, the tournament is wide open 
    Scotland should get an invitation to join the Copa America.Yeah, why not? Both Japan and Qatar did a couple of years back. Scotland might lift that cup... yeah, I'm 100% serious. Or maybe 50%... anyway, Brazil might beat them, there'd be an off chance, but I'm positive the Rangers and Celtic bunch would have a fair chance to celebrate, what with the former powerful South American teams having turned into utter shite (the 3 of them; aye, Brazil too) and the tremendous fun of getting roaring drunk at a palm-fringed beach. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    russpm said:
    boogieman said:
    In fairness I suspect we too would leak goals against the teams in that group of death! Belgium only conceded one goal and have a plus 6 goal difference.
    Trouble with Belgium is they are managed by Roberto Martinez, which always leads me to think they can be beaten by any team who can defend well and counter.  His teams never look that great defensively, even when getting a clean sheet.

But there is some serious talent in that team. I do wonder what they could have achieved with a better coach.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    sev112 said:
    I still don’t know how they decided which of the 4 3rd placed teams played who, and what they would have done if they weren’t all on 4 points ?  Academic now, but I like that sort of thing and feel unbalanced not knowing :)
    All I know is that there was a sort of league table of the six third-place teams, but I'm not sure how they determined the final order where they were tied on 4 or 3 points.  Goal difference in their group results, I guess?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    To beat Germany we will need to score goals .. I just can't see where England's goals will come from. Kane has been poor, although he's had hardly any service, and the Germans will mark Sterling. Only two goals in three games is poor. We have to hope Kane is energised at the prospect of playing Germany and the manager works out a system that sees he gets the ball in the German penalty area.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    Would playing either of the Germany based English players help do you think? They are unlikely to be too concerned on the evidence of Kane et al from the matches so far, but as Sancho and Bellingham haven't really played yet, their perception of those two would be based on their Bundesliga form which by all accounts seems decent?

I've never seen either of them play to be honest so I'm probably talking out my arse but you never know
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    I watched the France/Portugal game last night, and I've watched some of the other matches too.

Seems to me that these Johnny Foreigners really don't know how to play the game.  Either that, or they're playing a different game, which really won't be fair on England.  Come to think of it, the Scots tried the same underhand tactics too, but that's hardly surprising.

This didn't happen just once or twice - both teams were doing it throughout the game.  The ref took no notice.

Firstly, players on one team would kick the ball - deliberately - towards the other team's goal.  Sometimes it was directly at the goal, and sometimes it was just to another player on the same team who was closer to the goal.    

Secondly, players often ran with the ball (kicking it, obviously), past players on the other team, usually to get closer to the goal!

And finally, when a player from one team had the ball,  a player from the other team would try to take it away from them.  "Tackling".

Since when have things like that been allowed?  I've been watching the England games for a while, and I don't remember English players using such dodgy tactics.  It's practically cheating.

If other teams don't play by the same rules, what hope have poor England got against them?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    Oh, and I hear Harry Kane is applying for French citizenship.

Or Portugese.

Or German.

Or Italian.

Possibly even Welsh.

He just wants to play for a side that's got a chance of winning a trophy.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    Cads and bounders, the jolly lot of them.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    I watched the Scotland vs England highlights on Youtube and to my untrained eye Scotland seemed to be doing a lot more interesting things than England. There was a part where Scotland were doing lots of short passes around players near the England goal, and it seemed like the England players were just stood there looking round for where the ball went. 

My friend asked me if I was going to watch the game, and I expected loads of questions about what I liked after which is why I watched the highlights, but then he never said anything about it haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
     I do wonder what they could have achieved with a better coach.

They're the number 1 ranked team in the world, seems they're doing something right.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The away goals rule in European club football is to be abolished from the start of next season, governing body Uefa has confirmed. Does it apply in the Euro quali rounds?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3591
    Fretwired said:
    The away goals rule in European club football is to be abolished from the start of next season, governing body Uefa has confirmed. Does it apply in the Euro quali rounds?

I presume if it has been abolished for the 21-22 season it would include CL/Europa qualification.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    I'd replace the out of form Kane with Lingard and whoever he wants to deliver to, and as a child, I was Spurs. Kane is fuck all without Son, and he should donate his multi millions to Son and thank him for his career.
    The comment about a controller stuck behind a sofa cushion confirmed it for me. I know four fifths of fuck all about football, but I've watched England games for years, and several others this week.

IMHO, Sterling as our top goalscorer does not deserve the abuse he gets, as I have been saying since way before this.

I haven't seen a team who couldn't beat the current England side yet.

Rashford looked crap, obviously distracted. I'd have Foden, Lingard and Mount certainly in the starting 11 if Covid free. Southgate has been using the Mourinho park the bus method and it's boring as fuck.

Jfingers said:

I haven't seen a team who couldn't beat the current England side yet.
    How about Croatia, Czech Republic and Scotland!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom