Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Lev said:
    Fretwired said:
    Rocker said:
    If England win the Euro thing, their achievement will be diminished due to the fact that they played most of their games at Wembley.

Probably diminished because they're English .. everyone hates them .. :-) :-)
    Execpt Rice and Grealish, they're Irish, or at least they were once ;-)

I think their grandparents were.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    proggy said:
    Lev said:
    Fretwired said:
    Rocker said:
    If England win the Euro thing, their achievement will be diminished due to the fact that they played most of their games at Wembley.

Grealish’s grandparents were Irish, Jack played Gaelic football as a kid. But throw a rock in the West Midlands and you’ll hit someone of Irish or Welsh descent ( ow! Welsh here…). 
    Interesting to read that his great, great grandad Billy Garraty played for England and Villa. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:
    Lev said:
    Fretwired said:
    Rocker said:

Grealish’s grandparents were Irish, Jack played Gaelic football as a kid. But throw a rock in the West Midlands and you’ll hit someone of Irish or Welsh descent ( ow! Welsh here…). 
    Interesting to read that his great, great grandad Billy Garraty played for England and Villa. 
    I've just read about this on Wiki. Very interesting.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    Lev said:
    Fretwired said:
    Rocker said:

My comment was kinda tongue in cheek as they both represented Rep of Ireland at youth and U21 level with Rice even getting a senior cap in a friendly. There was quite a bit of backlash against them here in Ireland when they switched allegences. It seemed to coincide with their commercial value starting to rise so many people in Ireland believe it was a financial decision. An England international is worth a lot more to advertisers than an Irish one. Obviously they both are also born and raised in England and are entitled to play for who they want. I do however believe that FIFA need to change the rules so that once you have been capped at all you can't then switch.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Lev said:
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    Lev said:
    Fretwired said:
    Rocker said:

My comment was kinda tongue in cheek as they both represented Rep of Ireland at youth and U21 level with Rice even getting a senior cap in a friendly. There was quite a bit of backlash against them here in Ireland when they switched allegences. It seemed to coincide with their commercial value starting to rise so many people in Ireland believe it was a financial decision. An England international is worth a lot more to advertisers than an Irish one. Obviously they both are also born and raised in England and are entitled to play for who they want. I do however believe that FIFA need to change the rules so that once you have been capped at all you can't then switch.
    funny as I often see comments by Irish people complaing about the ammount of english players in there national team

• LevLev Frets: 228

funny as I often see comments by Irish people complaing about the ammount of english players in there national team

From my point of view I think there is a difference between English born players who have come through the Irish underage setup like Rice and Grealish and an English player declaring for Ireland having not being involved previously. Patrick Bamford for example qualifies to play for Ireland but is clearly trying to get into the England squad. I wouldn't like him to come around to playing for Ireland as a second choice International option.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    When you need 1 more goal from Austria but then realise they're playing Italy  :s
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    sev112 said:
    Rocker said:
    Holland have played most of their games in Amsterdam, Denmark in Copenhagen, Italy in Rome , Spain in Madrid 

Oh yeah and Scotland too

I'm fairly confident Spain have been playing out of Sevilla?
    Sorry my mistake, I thought Seville was in Spain
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10357
    edited June 2021
    sev112 said:
    sev112 said:
    Rocker said:
    Holland have played most of their games in Amsterdam, Denmark in Copenhagen, Italy in Rome , Spain in Madrid 

Oh yeah and Scotland too

I'm fairly confident Spain have been playing out of Sevilla?
    Sorry my mistake, I thought Seville was in Spain
    Yeah but London is probably closer to Dublin and Paris than Sevilla is to Madrid
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5104
    Brilliant Danish goal -v- Wales. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7576
    edited June 2021
    I want Wales to win but must say Denmark are playing some lovely football . Almost English style before we decided that tippy tappy sidewise passing was clever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Coverage of the Wales game was insufferable. They seem surprised that top ten ranked Denmark are a good team.

And Gabby can fuck off. "No excuses at how much Wales have had to travel but, Ashley, Wales have had to travel a lot". GEEZ A BREAK ffs. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Coverage of the Wales game was insufferable. They seem surprised that top ten ranked Denmark are a good team.

And Gabby can fuck off. "No excuses at how much Wales have had to travel but, Ashley, Wales have had to travel a lot". GEEZ A BREAK ffs. 

Robbie Savage said about 5 times wales were doing themselves proud by keeping trying, unlike all the other teams who quit after 70 minutes!

Just totally outclassed in pretty much every position. 

munckee said:

Robbie Savage said about 5 times wales were doing themselves proud by keeping trying, unlike all the other teams who quit after 70 minutes!

To be fair, still trying after 70 minutes when they're the first team in the history of football to have to travel to a match is some achievement. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    munckee said:

To be fair, still trying after 70 minutes when they're the first team in the history of football to have to travel to a match is some achievement. 
    Maybe those mangers of Bale know something - he just doesn’t seem to have a spark any more?

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7396
    Let's face it there was only ever gonna be one winner tonight.

Until after the Italy v Austria game when there will no doubt be another.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    Genuinely disappointed for Wales. That red card was absofuckinlutely ridiculous.
    sev112 said:
    munckee said:

Maybe those mangers of Bale know something - he just doesn’t seem to have a spark any more?

Bale clearly doesn't give a shit about football. Can't entirely blame him, I'd happily trouser £300k a week for pissing about in a job I didn't desperately like too. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Okay Deadman said:
    Genuinely disappointed for Wales. That red card was absofuckinlutely ridiculous.
    Was slightly harsh, first half wales were constantly fouling I suspected they might lose someone. 
    Deadman said:
    I didn't think it was *that* harsh. 

Miles late, absolutely nowhere near the ball, just seemed like a really cynical, intended kick at the player.

Suspect the referee saw it as deliberate. Players get away with that all the time but I thought the Welsh player knew exactly what he was doing so whilst it was a *bit* harsh I don't think there can be too many complaints.