Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    No way Red Card, and neither was the one in the previous game - lots and lots of the same and worse not even getting yellows. I felt for both the Welsh players.  Neither affected the outcomes, but it’s not nice.  I expected the first one to be appealed, and would hope they appeal this one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    sev112 said:
    No way Red Card, and neither was the one in the previous game - lots and lots of the same and worse not even getting yellows. I felt for both the Welsh players.  Neither affected the outcomes, but it’s not nice.  I expected the first one to be appealed, and would hope they appeal this one 
    It was an "orange card", if such a thing existed. He deliberately kicked him. There's no damage but that doesn't mean you can do it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, good call

But this whole Euros has been plagued by deliberate / “professional” fouls, as soon as there is a change of possession and chance of a counter attack, the defending side deliberately kick / foul.  No yellow card, and the defending side get to bring all 11 players back behind the ball to their own advantage,

this is killing football and is one of the reasons why so many game are soooooo slow.

they should start giving Yellows for professional fouls that stop a counter attack
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    There's a headline still visible on the BBC website:

Wales will be 'ruthless' against Denmark

A spokesman for the Welsh team said that they planned to give no quarter in letting the Danish team gain the upper hand. "Make no mistake about it, we are simply not going to let them not win. The Danes may be coming here tonight thinking they could possibly lose, but we are going to make 100% certain they don't. If it is less than 4 - 0, then we won't have done our job."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    Great substitution and goal by Chiesa!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    Denmark look like a great team. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Denmark look like a great team. 
    Playing in Blue, yes ? ;)
  • There's a headline still visible on the BBC website:

A spokesman for the Welsh team said that they planned to give no quarter in letting the Danish team gain the upper hand. "Make no mistake about it, we are simply not going to let them not win. The Danes may be coming here tonight thinking they could possibly lose, but we are going to make 100% certain they don't. If it is less than 4 - 0, then we won't have done our job."

And what is your point? A team should not feel confident? Cos they might get it thrown back at them on social meeeejia?
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 788

And what is your point? A team should not feel confident? Cos they might get it thrown back at them on social meeeejia?
    No, his point is GLOAT. But as a Welshman there is no comeback, we were battered by a better team. We have to take it on the chin and reflect that this is the second major finals we have reached in 50 odd years and take any positive we can. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    kaypeejay said:

No, his point is GLOAT. But as a Welshman there is no comeback, we were battered by a better team. We have to take it on the chin and reflect that this is the second major finals we have reached in 50 odd years and take any positive we can. 
    The positive is you are a tournament team now and you qualified from a decent group fairly comfortably. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2494
    Wales were poor and Denmark were really fab. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3126
    edited June 2021
    munckee said:
    kaypeejay said:

The positive is you are a tournament team now and you qualified from a decent group fairly comfortably. 
    I do take those positives 100%. Perspective, our 2nd major tournament after 58 years in the wilderness (and a lot of pain), to get beyond the group stage again is incredible. Today we came up against a better team, fair play. But we are in a far better game place now then then in the dark days of old. Also, the team has very much inspired the nation, young and old. Cymru am byth
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    kaypeejay said:

No, his point is GLOAT.
    No it wasn't. I have zero interest in football and no animus against Wales. I just enjoyed the irony of the out-of-sync headline. I would have said exactly the same if the quote had come from Denmark.

kaypeejay said:

No, his point is GLOAT.
    No it wasn't. I have zero interest in football and no animus against Wales. I just enjoyed the irony of the out-of-sync headline. I would have said exactly the same if the quote had come from Denmark.

Apology accepted
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    John Hartson, Shaking Stevens, the Manics, Huw Edwards, Cerys from Catatonia, can you hear me, your boys took one HELL of a beating....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Few imminent and key retirees now, important to build, get Bale and Ramsey coaching the international team 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    Only watched the hilights of the Wales game. The second goal was embarrassing at international level, that was a red card and the other goals were nicely taken. In-between those bits I don't know. 
    Apart from the first (?)game Denmark looking very strong and a bit like @DrCornelius said almost English old school - it seems like occasionally a team decides that the game isn't won on midfield possession and confuses the other teams. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15376
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    It was an "orange card", if such a thing existed. He deliberately kicked him. There's no damage but that doesn't mean you can do it. 
    I agree that it was not worthy of a red card, based on many similar tackles that you'd see through out the 90 mins - But I did feel at the time that it was a tackle made with intent to foul, frustration and being p*ssed' off and on that basis I can see where the ref was coming from - Either way it made no difference to the Welsh, but it could have injured the Italian 

There was no need for Wilson to have made such a silly tackle in the first place and he was not even close to the ball - So question the player, not the ref - IMO the intent was to deliberately foul the player 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I couldn't give a fuck about the Welsh national team. Back in Euro 2016 I actually wanted them to do well in the tournament being another British team. And then I saw that display of them all jumping up and down, hugging each other in celebration like they'd just won the fucking thing when England went out to Iceland. Almost everyone of them were playing their football here in England.
    Classless wankers.
    proggy said:
    I couldn't give a fuck about the Welsh national team. Back in Euro 2016 I actually wanted them to do well in the tournament being another British team. And then I saw that display of them all jumping up and down, hugging each other in celebration like they'd just won the fucking thing when England went out to Iceland. Almost everyone of them were playing their football here in England.
    Classless wankers.
    It’s nice to see you’ve made the choice to rise above and be the better man. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom