Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10359
    I need to watch the highlights but it seems my team of choice Austria did quite well last night and managed to score against Italy, which nobody had managed previously for quite a while.

I'm a bit conflicted now because normally I pick a team (like Austria) and then follow them until they go out and then follow the team that knocks them out. But I don't really want to be supporting the favourites to win this early on - I'll have to have another look and make a change of policy
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    kaypeejay said:
    proggy said:
    I couldn't give a fuck about the Welsh national team. Back in Euro 2016 I actually wanted them to do well in the tournament being another British team. And then I saw that display of them all jumping up and down, hugging each other in celebration like they'd just won the fucking thing when England went out to Iceland. Almost everyone of them were playing their football here in England.
    Classless wankers.
    It’s nice to see you’ve made the choice to rise above and be the better man. 

Being forgiving is not one of my traits. I've accepted this, and I live with it.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    I watched the highlights this morning, if that was a red card then the game is doomed. I hope someone at the Welsh FA remembers to appeal against it. 

I think this is the most open Euros for a while. All it will take is for one team to have a bit if luck and they can win it, there is no outstanding team in the competition. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28415
    edited June 2021
    sev112 said:
    No way Red Card, and neither was the one in the previous game - lots and lots of the same and worse not even getting yellows. I felt for both the Welsh players.  Neither affected the outcomes, but it’s not nice.  I expected the first one to be appealed, and would hope they appeal this one 
    It was an "orange card", if such a thing existed. He deliberately kicked him. There's no damage but that doesn't mean you can do it. 
    I agree that it was not worthy of a red card, based on many similar tackles that you'd see through out the 90 mins - But I did feel at the time that it was a tackle made with intent to foul, frustration and being p*ssed' off and on that basis I can see where the ref was coming from - Either way it made no difference to the Welsh, but it could have injured the Italian 

I mean, there's late when you foul the other player a second after the ball has gone.

And there's late when you foul a player 3 hours later in a different game ...  

D 

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    As Jimmy Greaves used to say "the late Ron Harris, he's not dead, that's just how he tackled". 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Other day I put on something like 'Spain x goals, x cards, x corners in the first half' at 50/1.
    It all happened. During the half time break they retrospectively changed the odds to 10/1 on my open bet, and sent an email saying "those were the wrong odds so we've corrected them". After the game they paid £100 instead of £500.

Their explanation is that it's a clear error so they can retrospectively decide what the odds should have been and change them.
     I've said right so if I usually put £10 on a bet, can I put £1000 on it, and if it doesn't win say "this is a clear error. I wanted to put £10 on. Give me £990 back"?
    Just awaiting a response on that one.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited June 2021
    I'm an italy supporter - they rode their luck last night. I assume they went in thinking it was going to be a walk in the park. On balance I think the better team won, but with a better final ball from the Austria forwards, that could have turned out a lot different. I'm not too discouraged as when we won the WC in 06 we were dire in half those games. It's no different to the PL in that you sometimes have to grind out results. 

It was a step too far for the Welsh in this tournament...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15376
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    sev112 said:
    No way Red Card, and neither was the one in the previous game - lots and lots of the same and worse not even getting yellows. I felt for both the Welsh players.  Neither affected the outcomes, but it’s not nice.  I expected the first one to be appealed, and would hope they appeal this one 
    It was an "orange card", if such a thing existed. He deliberately kicked him. There's no damage but that doesn't mean you can do it. 
    I agree that it was not worthy of a red card, based on many similar tackles that you'd see through out the 90 mins - But I did feel at the time that it was a tackle made with intent to foul, frustration and being p*ssed' off and on that basis I can see where the ref was coming from - Either way it made no difference to the Welsh, but it could have injured the Italian 

I mean, there's late when you foul the other player a second after the ball has gone.

And there's late when you foul a player 3 hours later in a different game ...  

D 

just realised what I said - hah hah - the lad is still guilty of being a prat and intentionally committing a foul
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    sev112 said:

There was no need for Wilson to have made such a silly tackle in the first place and he was not even close to the ball - So question the player, not the ref - IMO the intent was to deliberately foul the player 
    All of that is very sensible
    but it has nothing to do with whether it is a red card
    Red cards are as per the rules and the way that the Euros refs have been told to interpret by EUFA - no other ref is giving a red for that at this Euros, or there would be 2, 3 or more every game, and many aren’t giving a yellow for it either.

Not consistent with the rest of the tournament, and I thought the ref let his frustration and emotion into his decision which is understandable but poor / wrong
    DefaultM said:
    Other day I put on something like 'Spain x goals, x cards, x corners in the first half' at 50/1.
    It all happened. During the half time break they retrospectively changed the odds to 10/1 on my open bet, and sent an email saying "those were the wrong odds so we've corrected them". After the game they paid £100 instead of £500.

Their explanation is that it's a clear error so they can retrospectively decide what the odds should have been and change them.
     I've said right so if I usually put £10 on a bet, can I put £1000 on it, and if it doesn't win say "this is a clear error. I wanted to put £10 on. Give me £990 back"?

I’m sure ther was either a test case or a massive media campaign very similar last year.

id see what they come back, and then say “we are now going to Twitter, Facebook, I diagram and anywhere else you advertise for new punters.  I expect full payment by return”

and even if they don’t accept then, your next line is, “and now we go to the Press”

treat it as an insurance company trying to fob younoff

C heating gits
    Didn't see that one coming, Holland find out that Schick happens. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    scrumhalf said:

Being an English football fan is bad enough but the Dutch have had some great players and some great teams but never seem to be able to achive their potential
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    I met a Dutch guy with inflatable shoes the other day and arranged to have a pint with him. 

Unfortunately he couldn't make it. He'd popped his clogs.

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    When the Dutch concede a free kick, do they form a defensive dyke rather than a wall? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ...Will Depay's chances of getting the golden boot be hindered by the fact he's on his way home?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    phil_b said:
    scrumhalf said:

Being an English football fan is bad enough but the Dutch have had some great players and some great teams but never seem to be able to achive their potential
    I've got a lot of Dutch mates and coming into this tournament they were all as depressed about the Netherlands team as I've ever seen them. De Boer is about as popular as cold sick, there were calls for him to go before a ball had been kicked. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    phil_b said:
    scrumhalf said:

I've got a lot of Dutch mates and coming into this tournament they were all as depressed about the Netherlands team as I've ever seen them. De Boer is about as popular as cold sick, there were calls for him to go before a ball had been kicked. 
    Their available talent isn’t what it was, they have the opposite problem to us, they can beat anyone but frequently lose to worse teams, whereas we nearly always beat those we should but have a mental block against on paper better sides. 
    sev112 said:
    DefaultM said:

I’m sure ther was either a test case or a massive media campaign very similar last year.

id see what they come back, and then say “we are now going to Twitter, Facebook, I diagram and anywhere else you advertise for new punters.  I expect full payment by return”

and even if they don’t accept then, your next line is, “and now we go to the Press”

treat it as an insurance company trying to fob younoff

C heating gits

I'd love to but it's my wife's account as they've already closed mine down for being in profit. If I email them I can guarantee they'll realise it's probably me again and close that too. 

Not as bad as Coral, who will suspend the bet, wait to see the result, then void it as a 'palpable error' if it wins but keep the stake if it loses. Literally heads we win, tails you lose.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When the Dutch concede a free kick, do they form a defensive dyke rather than a wall? 
     No, he’s been injured all season ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That was a cracking own goal. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom