Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    After watching the inferior nations of the UK get phucked into the dirt, that'll do nicely.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    It does feel like a bit of an odd tournament to be honest. 

Spain should dispatch the Swiss, but that’s not a dead cert.

Belgium/Italy could either be really tasty, or deadlock and penalties. 

Again, Denmark should probably skin the Czech Republic, but again, not a dead cert. 

You’d think Sweden should win tonight… but…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16655
    Back to Radio 5 - not a lot happened in the first half,nothing much happened until Grealish came on, Germans missed a sitter. I think that's what I got from it; I need wifi or a TV for Saturday night!
    The booing of the German national anthem seemed a bit OTT. 
    There must be a few England fans who would take beating and knocking out Germany over winning the competition so may be job done for some. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Schnozz said:
    After watching the inferior nations of the UK get phucked into the dirt, that'll do nicely.
    A Welsh mate of mine was saying earlier that if it ends up as a Denmark/England semi final he’d be torn as to whether he wants England to get stuffed, or England to stuff Denmark 4-0 in revenge…
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7576
    russpm said:
    We have so little threat going forward . Why isn’t Mount or Foden on ? Kane isn’t in it
    Hmmmm
    We had 2 efforts in the whole second half , both went in. I’m over the moon with that but still feel we should have made the changes earlier 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    I

Belgium/Italy could either be really tasty, or deadlock and penalties. 

Or quite possibly 90 minutes + of professional fouls and rolling about clutching their faces, Belgium being the worst offenders so far, which I’m surprised about
    russpm said:
    We have so little threat going forward . Why isn’t Mount or Foden on ? Kane isn’t in it
    Hmmmm
    We had 2 efforts in the whole second half , both went in. I’m over the moon with that but still feel we should have made the changes earlier 
    Bizarrely, and going against every bone in my body, I’m starting to believe there’s a Southgate master plan after all. 

I’ll be asking questions about the curvature of the Earth next….
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    russpm said:
    Hmmmm
    Bizarrely, and going against every bone in my body, I’m starting to believe there’s a Southgate master plan after all. 

Maybe it’s the football equivalent of the rope a dope ?
    russpm said:
    Hmmmm

Maybe it’s the football equivalent of the rope a dope ?
    Could be. Southgate lures us into a frenzy of excitement only for us to lose 1-0 against the Czech Republic, having beaten them already a couple of weeks back?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    russpm said:
    Hmmmm
    We just need to get behind the team as a nation IMO. Negative thoughts breed negative results.
    Anyway we are in the quarter finals let’s all enjoy and celebrate the success.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Had a little double on each team in both games to have 2 or more cards. Hope the next game's like the last one.
    russpm said:
    russpm said:
    Hmmmm
    We just need to get behind the team as a nation IMO. Negative thoughts breed negative results.
    Agree and as I said yesterday I can see us going further with southgates brand of defensive , dour football. I just wish we’d try and entertain a bit more bearing in mind we’ve got players like foden and mount on the bench who can inject some energy into things.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    edited June 2021
    England just beat Germany 2-0. They’ve conceded no goals. This strategy is obviously working and playing to the strengths of the team. Why would you want to change anything, it’s obviously working. And instead of ‘entertaining’ tippy tappy football that nearly knocked Spain out I’ll take what works and what we’re doing now, which is a solid defence and counter attacking football.

It was an excellent performance from start to finish and I think England have the potential to win the thing now. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Taking great delight in watching our rather unfriendly neighbour take his German flag down :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    England just beat Germany 2-0. They’ve conceded no goals. This strategy is obviously working and playing to the strengths of the team. Why would you want to change anything, it’s obviously working. And instead of ‘entertaining’ tippy tappy football that nearly knocked Spain out I’ll take what works and what we’re doing now, which is a solid defence and counter attacking football.

It was an excellent performance from start to finish and I think England have the potential to win the thing now. 
    Entertainment isn’t tippy tappy to me , the opposite in fact . I just think the tactics of slowing things down , the wingbacks not getting forward regularly and no one supporting Kane sucks some enjoyment out of watching the games . The result is brilliant of course but I’d just like to see a bit more forward play.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    russpm said:
    russpm said:
    Hmmmm
    Agree and as I said yesterday I can see us going further with southgates brand of defensive , dour football. I just wish we’d try and entertain a bit more bearing in mind we’ve got players like foden and mount on the bench who can inject some energy into things.
    Why, so they can be like France who have loads better players than us, they play really creatively, and go out in the last 16 to Switzerland?
    sev112 said:
    russpm said:
    russpm said:
    Hmmmm
    Why, so they can be like France who have loads better players than us, they play really creatively, and go out in the last 16 to Switzerland?
    Sorry do you mean current world champions France ?  They way they play they will win some , lose some but it’s nearly always good to watch.

Weve got a shocking record in major championships, not just results but the way we’ve played . The last tournament I actually enjoyed watching us play in was Euro 96 yet we have the richest and most exciting domestic league in the world.

I repeat , I’m really glad we won , we were effective but I don’t enjoy watching our style of play. If you do then that’s great

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Sorry do you mean current world champions France ?  They way they play they will win some , lose some but it’s nearly always good to watch.

Weve got a shocking record in major championships, not just results but the way we’ve played . The last tournament I actually enjoyed watching us play in was Euro 96 yet we have the richest and most exciting domestic league in the world.

I repeat , I’m really glad we won , we were effective but I don’t enjoy watching our style of play. If you do then that’s great

There were moments when England were enjoyable to watch tonight. 

However, if Kane now gets his mojo back and Grealish gets some confidence from his performance then actually England now feel like a team that have the ability to be entertaining but now have control over when they do. 

If the game plan is to do everything necessary to get to the final even if dull then if we do get to the final I can see Southgate telling the team to go out and enjoy themselves… 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446

I’ll take that all day long pal 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    edited June 2021

Entertainment isn’t tippy tappy to me , the opposite in fact . I just think the tactics of slowing things down , the wingbacks not getting forward regularly and no one supporting Kane sucks some enjoyment out of watching the games . The result is brilliant of course but I’d just like to see a bit more forward play.
    With this England team and manager you either win a tournament using pragmatism, or not because you play to entertain. I don’t know if this team has it in them to play like City, but they seem to have it in them to defend excellently, and steal a goal on the counter and through disciplined build up play. 

Plenty of teams win tournaments defensively, it’s perfectly acceptable and they’re obviously playing to the strengths of the team. 

They’re winning, and conceding no goals. And now they’ve got Ukraine or Sweden in the QF and then Czech Republic or Denmark in the Semis. So a final is completely in reach. 

I’d rather we win than get knocked out in the second round. Don’t change a thing if it means we win. But each to their own. 

This was an excellent performance from every player, no question about it.