Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15376
    tFB Trader
    Just checking on the yellow card issue, with both KP and Rice on one booking each - So will Gareth risk both for the next match - Slate is wiped clean after the 1/4 final matches - So I think that means if either get a yellow card in the 1/4 they will miss the semi - But if they play and get no card, then they start back to zero - Same applies to Maguire and Foden
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve been in north Wales for a week, working with a couple of Welsh fellas, getting constant abuse about England. 
    Tonight I was playing 3 Lions at full blast with the windows open. :)
    The sad thing is, I was supporting Wales last Saturday when they got battered and they were still going on about how much they hate us. Think it says far more about them tbh. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    Yes, France world champs of 2018, last 16 of 2021, that France .  Also Portugal Euros champs of 2016, and others.

they are just like flat track bullies that Man City are too, and just expect to win, and that’s probably why they won’t ever win the Champions League, because they think they should.  
    sometimes belief and commitment win, like tonight, And sometimes passion gets you there, like Scotland nearly did against england.
    I quite like being the Leicester City of the Euros, and who once in a while catch the 2018 and other champions out 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    I’ve been in north Wales for a week, working with a couple of Welsh fellas, getting constant abuse about England. 
    The sad thing is, I was supporting Wales last Saturday when they got battered and they were still going on about how much they hate us. Think it says far more about them tbh. 

I'm Welsh and I don't hate England (maybe I do in the rugby, more than football, but there's an arrogance about the England rugby team... or perhaps that's just Matt Dawson).

I've lived in England for two thirds of my life so maybe that's softened my attitude.  Most of the time I want any of the home nations (and Ireland) to win, unless they're actually playing Wales.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1163
    Great win for England, forgot Kane was playing upfront for the first 30 minutes as he wasn't in the game at all but pleased for him to get his goal (despite me being a Gooner at club level I am genuinely pleased for him). Grealish has made a big difference when he's come on and Saka has been a great attacking addition with his fearlessness and maturity. Unlucky to get taken off for the former but he faded in the 2nd half.

If they can get past Sweden/Ukraine and perform well then who knows what the semi-finals will hold.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10359
    Well done England tonight.

The good thing about them, is that if I were a fan of the team, I could get away with not watching the matches and just check the result, because I know I wouldn't have missed any excitement, and I could miss the nerves that you'd get if watching it live. ;)
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    Well done England tonight.

The good thing about them, is that if I were a fan of the team, I could get away with not watching the matches and just check the result, because I know I wouldn't have missed any excitement, and I could miss the nerves that you'd get if watching it live. ;)
    This exactly, I didn't watch it and I'm glad, the highlights lasted all of a minute or two. I'm glad we got through and all power to them and those who don't mind watching England live, boring the shit out of everyone.

You can still support the team but not really enjoy the way they play or like them particularly. It also makes no difference to them if I get behind them or not, won't change the result at all. If we win I'll be pleased, can't see it though. Italy, Spain and surprisingly Denmark will beat us resoundingly I think. I can see Sweden or Ukraine giving us issues too. Beating a half dead German team, who've brought a number of players out of retirement led by a retiring manager does not a tournament make. They've flattered to deceive before and got me excited too many times, not getting too involved this time.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    I see Sweden/Ukraine has turned into Game of Thrones…
  • I’ve been in north Wales for a week, working with a couple of Welsh fellas, getting constant abuse about England. 

Why do some of you English want so badly the people of the other UK nations to support your team? Why does it bother you? I don’t expect any other nations to support Wales. There's no obligation.  Support or don't support who you want. England are our nearest football rivals. For me it would be like a Liverpool fan supporting Man Utd. I'm not going to start supporting them as soon as they start doing well in a tournament. In fact the attitude that we should be supporting them, and have an obligation to, is a major reason that many do not. I expect I'll get slaughtered now but just being honest. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    I’ve been in north Wales for a week, working with a couple of Welsh fellas, getting constant abuse about England. 

I'm Welsh and I don't hate England (maybe I do in the rugby, more than football, but there's an arrogance about the England rugby team... or perhaps that's just Matt Dawson).

I've lived in England for two thirds of my life so maybe that's softened my attitude.  Most of the time I want any of the home nations (and Ireland) to win, unless they're actually playing Wales.
    Fair one dude. I’m half Irish and generally support all the home nations. England vs Ireland  can get a bit complicated though! 
    I’m kinda relieved as I know that if they’d lost, my colleagues would’ve been unbearable tomorrow. I’m here for the next round so will have go through it all again on Saturday! 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    sev112 said:
    russpm said:
    russpm said:
    We have so little threat going forward . Why isn’t Mount or Foden on ? Kane isn’t in it
    Hmmmm
    We had 2 efforts in the whole second half , both went in. I’m over the moon with that but still feel we should have made the changes earlier 
    We just need to get behind the team as a nation IMO. Negative thoughts breed negative results.
    Anyway we are in the quarter finals let’s all enjoy and celebrate the success.
    Agree and as I said yesterday I can see us going further with southgates brand of defensive , dour football. I just wish we’d try and entertain a bit more bearing in mind we’ve got players like foden and mount on the bench who can inject some energy into things.
    Why, so they can be like France who have loads better players than us, they play really creatively, and go out in the last 16 to Switzerland?
    That's a little disingenuous. 

France played shit for most of that game. In the brief period they actually played like France, they scored 3 times and looked out of sight. Then they turned to shit again. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    sev112 said:

they are just like flat track bullies that Man City are too, and just expect to win, and that’s probably why they won’t ever win the Champions League, because they think they should.  

I quite like being the Leicester City of the Euros, and who once in a while catch the 2018 and other champions out 

City will absolutely will the CL. 

England aren’t Leicester. They’re one of the favourites. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    England beat Germany in a knockout game for the first time in 55 years. England "fans" still moaning.

It's ok to enjoy a win you know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    Bidley said:
    England beat Germany in a knockout game for the first time in 55 years. England "fans" still moaning.

I'm not moaning.  Any win in the knockout stages of a tournament is good, but this wasn't the German team of Mattheus, Klinsmann and Brehme.  They only just scraped out of the group stage.  It was a match we should have won.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    edited June 2021
    That was an insane group though and they finished second. Germany are a good team. I think people are underestimating Germany, and in turn, underestimating England. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 636
    crunchman said:
    Bidley said:

I'm not moaning.  Any win in the knockout stages of a tournament is good, but this wasn't the German team of Mattheus, Klinsmann and Brehme.  They only just scraped out of the group stage.  It was a match we should have won.
    You mean the group of death with France and Portugal? Come on man... Germany are Germany. They’re never easy.

I’m not taking Ukraine or a potential ‘easier’ SF for granted either. Only takes one mistake in knockout football, and some of the ‘smaller’ teams have put out fantastic performances.

I’m enjoying the ride. Come on England!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    That was an insane group though and they finished second. Germany are a good team. I think people are underestimating Germany, and in turn, underestimating England. 
    When you look at the teams we have beaten, Croatia took Spain to extra time, Czech Republic beat Holland, Germany beat Portugal and narrowly lost to France.  The reality is no side has looked great every game, Belgium were struggling against Denmark until De Bruyne and Hazard came on, Italy struggled with Austria.

I think we have done well to get to the quarters but there is a lot to do but we have as much chance as anyone now, but no more I think.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    The booing of the German national anthem seemed a bit OTT. 
    There must be a few England fans who would take beating and knocking out Germany over winning the competition so may be job done for some. 
    Not just a few England fans, it's even been all over Radio 4 for the last two days how much more it matters beating Germany than any other team. 

Every interview with a German pundit was a desperate attempt to draw them into saying that England were more important than any other opponents to them, which is obviously nonsense given their record. They've been in the World Cup Final EIGHT times and won four of them, so they're hardly likely to spend 55 years obsessing over the one against England. 

The non-English among us just don't get it, in fact the only time England ever won anything they beat (West) Germany, so why the hatred?

When Germany won Euro 96 they took out an extremely gracious full page ad in The Times about how football truly came home to England and what a fantastic tournament and hosts England had been.

England's obsession with beating the Germans seems to have nothing to do with football and everything to do with generations of crappy war films, it's borderline racist and embarrassing. 

England outplayed Germany last night and are in the Quarter Finals with a great chance to progress, so what's with the "let's kick the Krauts" nonsense all time? 

Rivalry between neighbouring cities or countries seems natural, but most Germans would be amazed if they knew that the English have picked a fairly distant random European nation as their bête noire. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    munckee said:
    When you look at the teams we have beaten, Croatia took Spain to extra time, Czech Republic beat Holland, Germany beat Portugal and narrowly lost to France.  The reality is no side has looked great every game, Belgium were struggling against Denmark until De Bruyne and Hazard came on, Italy struggled with Austria.

I think we have done well to get to the quarters but there is a lot to do but we have as much chance as anyone now, but no more I think.
    I do think the Gap has closed between the top 40 sides, all the top leagues are highly multinational and many players are getting to advanced stages of the CL regularly, so playing high quality opponents week in / week out.  The margins are now super tight. Coaching standards have gone up, as as the professionalism.

I think it's a good thing for football overall, who wants to see the Semis contested between the same 5-6 teams.

That said, England should have enough to beat Ukraine. They looked comfortable against the Czechs. Would worry about Denmark though, who seem to be on a mission for Erickson. They have looked good in all their games.