Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    p90fool said:
    scrumhalf said:
    The Dutch hate the Germans for much the same reason as we do. Death, destruction and WW2.

Things like that leave scars and just because it means less to younger people who are generations away from it doesn't lessen the impact the war had on those involved and their families.
    I've lived in both countries and this is almost universally bullshit. 

Same for France too, in fact I was present at a very emotional accidental meeting between an elderly neighbour of mine in France and a German tourist of the same age. The French man had been a slave labourer in the same town that the German had been a soldier during the war, he survived but his brother had starved to death in the camp.

There was no hatred whatsoever, just a tearful embrace at what they'd both been through as youngsters and a wonderful drinking session I was honoured to be invited to. 

There are a tiny minority of young thugs who dwell on this stuff in mainland Europe, it's not the pathetic mainstream obsession it is here in the UK.
    I don't think that's a fair assessment at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 345
    someone has to ask
    why was the Ukraine goal scorer wearing a bra?
    and did it in anyway artificially enhance his performance?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 636
    I see we’ve gone handbrake turn into a P&E thread ... plenty of room in there for that, shall we keep this to the footy?

I think the England performance deserves more respect that to say the Germans aren’t what they used to be. Fair enough, they’re not the team of old but still a very good side. The first half was pretty even, but I thought we dominated the 2nd half - with only sterling’s error giving Muller the 1 on 1.

I was dubious with us starting 8 defensive players, but fair play to Southgate as we did more than just park the bus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1430
    BBBlues said:
    I see we’ve gone handbrake turn into a P&E thread ... plenty of room in there for that, shall we keep this to the footy?

No one says footy unless your a complete Toby Carvery or something..............
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6514
    S56035 said:
    BBBlues said:

No one says footy unless your a complete Toby Carvery or something..............
    Soccer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    munckee said:
    p90fool said:
    scrumhalf said:
    The Dutch hate the Germans for much the same reason as we do. Death, destruction and WW2.

Things like that leave scars and just because it means less to younger people who are generations away from it doesn't lessen the impact the war had on those involved and their families.
    I've lived in both countries and this is almost universally bullshit. 

Same for France too, in fact I was present at a very emotional accidental meeting between an elderly neighbour of mine in France and a German tourist of the same age. The French man had been a slave labourer in the same town that the German had been a soldier during the war, he survived but his brother had starved to death in the camp.

There was no hatred whatsoever, just a tearful embrace at what they'd both been through as youngsters and a wonderful drinking session I was honoured to be invited to. 

There are a tiny minority of young thugs who dwell on this stuff in mainland Europe, it's not the pathetic mainstream obsession it is here in the UK.
    I don't think that's a fair assessment at all.
    Radio 4 banged on about beating the Germans all bloody day yesterday, I bet the Ukraine game will be confined to the sports report, even though it's a quarter final. 

But yes, back to the football, will the lack of Wembley effect make a big difference or will England get through comfortably?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    p90fool said:

Radio 4 banged on about beating the Germans all bloody day yesterday, I bet the Ukraine game will be confined to the sports report, even though it's a quarter final. 

But yes, back to the football, will the lack of Wembley effect make a big difference or will England get through comfortably?
    Back to the football, I think being in Rome with almost no England fans may well have an impact, I would say the game is much closer to 50/50 than it would have been at wembley.  I don't buy into the we are through the the final twaddle at all, look at who has already been knocked out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1844
    edited June 2021
    DavidRees said:
    someone has to ask
    I think they were transgender. The tits have long gone since the op but y’know old habits die hard ;) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28418
    p90fool said:

UEFA explained the removal of the away-goals-rule on the basis that home advantage isn't really a significant factor any more.

Therefore I'm guessing it'll make a big difference.
    ;)

But - really - England should still beat Ukraine on any rational assessment.  They just have to play like they want to.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    DavidRees said:
    someone has to ask
    They’re devices that track stats like heart rate and distance run etc. Used for analysis by the coaches etc. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7396
    DavidRees said:
    someone has to ask
    He probably forgot he had it on, it's easy to do.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    Rome, eh?

Does anyone know if Michael Caine's going? 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    The bra thing, as said, is an active tracker. Apparently Arsenal wear them. Be interesting to know if they are allowed to take a live feed as it would essentially tell you when a player is knackered. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    Thought the redtop headlines may have been a bit more jingoistic today - along the lines of:

Down and Kraut
    We Pulled their Panzers Down

Etc.

Or just plain:

Joachim - Low
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    Hattigol said:
    Thought the redtop headlines may have been a bit more jingoistic today - along the lines of:

Down and Kraut
    We Pulled their Panzers Down

Etc.

Or just plain:

Joachim - Low
    Maybe they lost their copies of Jeremy Clarkson's "1,000 Xenophobic Puns for Any Occasion".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 345
    CHRISB50 said:
    DavidRees said:
    someone has to ask
    They’re devices that track stats like heart rate and distance run etc. Used for analysis by the coaches etc. 
    so a bit like a training bra then :) ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    scrumhalf said:

I was born in the mid 80’s but that’s nice to know. Thanks. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6286
    I think we will labour to a 1-0 win over Ukraine after extra time. They are just the sort of team we struggle against. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    A quick Google shows England doing a lot better than the Ukraine in their previous matches. Probably doesn't mean a lot but based on history more likely to be an England win.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5104
    The bra thing, as said, is an active tracker. Apparently Arsenal wear them. Be interesting to know if they are allowed to take a live feed as it would essentially tell you when a player is knackered. 

Got it in one, when a player has >9 or so Km in the game, he is basically running on empty.  And not just physically but mentally too.  A drained player, however well he played in the game, could be a liability so he has to be subbed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum