Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6286
    p90fool said:
    Hattigol said:
    I'm not taking anything away from the victory, which was obviously fabulous, but I still think we are dull, plodding and largely unadventurous in comparison to other teams.
    Playing to your strengths is the best thing to do, they'd be mad to let games run away from them at a pace they can't handle. 

I like Southgate, I think he's an honest, astute coach who handles the pressure very well, and he knows they can't hang with the top teams if he lets them play the flowing game they want to. 
    Exactly. You can't fault how he's run this tournament so far. Not conceded a goal, topped the group and beat our all time bogey team in a competition for the first time in 65 years. If we win the tournament, no-one at all will be complaining about the style of football we played. 

No team has stood out, yet. Every one looks beatable. However, no-one has managed to score against us. Southgate really is managing each game individually, adjusting teams and tactics carefully. Notice how against Germany we hardly played the ball across the back, and back to Pickford. Whereas against Czech we did it a lot. I think we were all hoping they'd stop that against the Germans, and they did. He knew it wouldn't work.  We more or less snuffed them out. 

I think we will beat Ukraine, but I think it will be ugly.  Out of the remaining teams, only Belgium are FIFA ranked higher than us. They aren't that good either, struggled against Austria. Italy are iffy too. It is most definitely there for the taking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 991
    This tournament is anyone's for the taking. Form, ranking, quality of players have had no bearing on result (okay, maybe except for North Macedonia ;) ).
    Every game is 50/50
    Can England win? Yes...but it's equally conceivable that any other team left in the draw could.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    AlbertC said:
    Can England win? Yes...but it's equally conceivable that any other team left in the draw could.

Precisely, given the exits so far pundits from every country left in it are thinking "this is our year". 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15377
    tFB Trader
    We are certainly in with a shout (obvious I know) - But don't dismiss the 'under dogs' - Denmark, Greece and the Czechs have all won in the past and all wins were unexpected without a team full of stars  
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    All the remaining teams have a chance. Ours will be aided by everyone getting behind the team and supporting them through the good, the bad and the ugly. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    It's more the case with the Euros than the World Cup that the winner can definitely be the team with the most club-like mentality rather than the one with the most galacticos.

Southgate has prepared teams to win games, not include the fans' favourites. We absorbed what Germany had to offer, took off some of the players that had blunted them and brought on players to win the game against tiring opponents. The team isn't good enough to go out all guns blazing and be three up at half time, but they can play to a system.

England for the Euros, the T20 world cup snd the Lions to beat the Boks. I wonder what the odds would be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    edited July 2021
    scrumhalf said:

The team isn't good enough to go out all guns blazing and be three up at half time, but they can play to a system.
    How do you know? We'll never find out if we keep playing with effectively a back 5 plus 2 holding players with the likes of Sancho, Foden, Mount and Grealish warming the bench...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    edited July 2021
    AlbertC said:
    This tournament is anyone's for the taking. Form, ranking, quality of players have had no bearing on result (okay, maybe except for North Macedonia ).
    Every game is 50/50

Not every game is 50/50.

We are probably favourites againsts Ukraine - call it 60/40 in our favour.

For the semi, and the final, we will have home advantage at Wembley if we get to those games.  Those games would probably be about 60/40 in our favour as well.

That gives us about a 22% chance of winning the tournament - so the odds are that we will all be disappointed, except for the Scots on the forum.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    Hattigol said:
    scrumhalf said:

The team isn't good enough to go out all guns blazing and be three up at half time, but they can play to a system.
    How do you know? We'll never find out if we keep playing with effectively a back 5 plus 2 holding players with the likes of Sancho, Foden, Mount and Grealish warming the bench...
    I don’t think it matters as long as we’re winning. I really don’t care who plays and what system is used. Just win the damned thing!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    sev112 said:
    Nothing to do with England mate, the whole of Europe has been playing every day for  couple fo weeks, I have withdrawal syndrome 

OK, apologies. .. My mistake.
     I'm not much into football and just think the coverage is a bit (way) over the top..... Why the reference to Scotland.?....l'm from Hamburg. 
    I’d didn’t even realise the Mac in your nickname until just now.  I was just surprised how Scottish coverage and interest over that one game v England was massive.  Good luck to them, though , as it made a lot of people happy :)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    edited July 2021
    Is this like the probability thread - we’ve got 50% chance of winning the Euros because every game is 50:50 , no matter how many games we have to play  

AlbertC said:
    This tournament is anyone's for the taking. Form, ranking, quality of players have had no bearing on result (okay, maybe except for North Macedonia ).
    Every game is 50/50

Oops sorry @crunchman  you beat me to it :)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2815
    sev112 said:
    sev112 said:
    Nothing to do with England mate, the whole of Europe has been playing every day for  couple fo weeks, I have withdrawal syndrome 

OK, apologies. .. My mistake.
     I'm not much into football and just think the coverage is a bit (way) over the top..... Why the reference to Scotland.?....l'm from Hamburg. 
    I’d didn’t even realise the Mac in your nickname until just now.  I was just surprised how Scottish coverage and interest over that one game v England was massive.  Good luck to them, though , as it made a lot of people happy :)
    Scotland's abject failure against Croatia more than wiped out any enjoyment from that draw... Still not over it. It's shite being Scottish etc,etc,etc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    ewal said:
    Scotland's abject failure against Croatia more than wiped out any enjoyment from that draw... Still not over it. It's shite being Scottish etc,etc,etc
    Try being Scottish and German :-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    Why has Scottish football declined so badly? When I was a lad pretty much every first division team had at least one or more Scottish players, typically a large centre half, centre forward, winger or midfield dynamo. 
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Why has Scottish football declined so badly? When I was a lad pretty much every first division team had at least one or more Scottish players, typically a large centre half, centre forward, winger or midfield dynamo. 
    I recall 74 WC team and supporting Scotland in the tournament - Partly as it had a strong Leeds contingent in the squad - Even named my dog after the #4
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    scrumhalf said:
    Why has Scottish football declined so badly? When I was a lad pretty much every first division team had at least one or more Scottish players, typically a large centre half, centre forward, winger or midfield dynamo
    When I was a lad, pretty much every first division team had about 11 British players.

The Scottish (and English, Welsh and Irish) players have been replaced with French, Spanish, Portuguese, African, Asian, Martian, et al ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Why has Scottish football declined so badly? When I was a lad pretty much every first division team had at least one or more Scottish players, typically a large centre half, centre forward, winger or midfield dynamo
    When I was a lad, pretty much every first division team had about 11 British players.

The Scottish (and English, Welsh and Irish) players have been replaced with French, Spanish, Portuguese, African, Asian, Martian, et al ....
    A) it would be an interesting question to find who lasted sent out a team in the top flight, be it Div 1 or PL, with 11 British Players and I'd accept R o I within that 

B) Last year in the PL I wonder who can claim the most British Players to start a match and again accept R o I
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    scrumhalf said:

Looks like Bournemouth or Soton in the last 2 years have fielded the most English players in a match with 6 or 7

1999 was the last time 11 English players started a match - John Gregory's Villa
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419

1999 was the last time 11 English players started a match - John Gregory's Villa
    TBH, I’m surprised.  I assumed it would have been longer ago than that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2815
    scrumhalf said:
    Quite a few decent young players coming through. I'm not sure their development is necessarily being managed well. But given the players available for this tournament, we badly underperformed. Formation appeared to be all about finding a place for Tierney and Robertson and that meant we suffered badly in other areas of pitch. Should never have played Croatia with just three midfielders. Anyway it's history now...