Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    ewal said:

Should never have played Croatia with just three midfielders.
    Completely agree.

Really needed some defenders at least, and maybe a striker or two.  I’d suggest a goalie too, but I believe that’s an optional position for Scotland teams?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    1978 World Cup Panini sticker album - what a Scottish squad, everyone was World Cup quality and several or more were world class
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    edited July 2021
    sev112 said:
    1978 World Cup Panini sticker album - what a Scottish squad, everyone was World Cup quality and several or more were world class
    Indeed. And the 1967 team which won at Wembley. Law, Greig, Baxter, Lennox et al. One of few Scottish high points in my lifetime.
    Edit: I just had a look at the 78 squad. What a collection of players.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15377
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

1999 was the last time 11 English players started a match - John Gregory's Villa
    TBH, I’m surprised.  I assumed it would have been longer ago than that.
    I was surprised - can't find on Google the last time it was a UK/GB X1, just shows an English X1
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    I've just discvered that there's no third place playoff.

Well, that just ruins and invalidates the entire tournament as far as I'm concerned.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7398
    scrumhalf said:
    I've just discvered that there's no third place playoff.

Well, that just ruins and invalidates the entire tournament as far as I'm concerned.
    Shocking! How will we know who is the second best loser now?!?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    I think we’ve played two and lost two so far. Therefore they are meaningless. 
    Apparently the footy hasn’t finished after all and it all starts from scratch again tonight :)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    I reckon the winner comes from the Belgium Italy match. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Unless it’s a draw 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    munckee said:
    I reckon the winner comes from the Belgium Italy match. 

People seem to have discounted Belgium. Their odds drifted past evens vs Russia and they won 3-0. I think their pre tournament odds were about 13/2 yet now they're in the quarters they've drifted to 15/2.
    That means with all the major teams like France, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal in at the start they had more chance of winning than now when they're in the quarters and those teams are eliminated?

Possibly because they're playing Italy who looked great at first, but then they beat a 10 man Wales 1-0, and didn't exactly dispatch Austria with ease. Also everyone now assumes England have already won since beating Germany, so that forces prices out on other teams.
    Maybe they'll get absolutely smashed tonight, but I think they've got a far better chance than is shown.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    Interesting article on Wired about the odds using a data model from some sports intelligence agency...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I think Italy looked pretty flakey tbh, I think England would be happy to meet them if they get to the final.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    France going out seemed to widen it out a lot. For sheer endurance I’d cheerfully bet on the Danes. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    p90fool said:
    I think Italy looked pretty flakey tbh, I think England would be happy to meet them if they get to the final.  

I thought they played remarkably well until the Austria game. I wouldn't write them off.
    wibble said:
    Interesting article on Wired about the odds using a data model from some sports intelligence agency...

Very interesting that their models are more pessimistic than Betfair Exchange prices on England. They give them a 75% chance to qualify whereas bfex is 80%. Lots of excited England fan money in there pushing the odds down. I also like that they think the same as me about Belgium.

I'd usually take advantage of any odds that were out, but I'm not going to bet against England at this stage. I bet on them not to get out of group stages as the odds were silly, but now they've shown they're pretty decent I'll leave it. 
    I may bet on Belgium though, and then see what the odds do if they beat Italy later. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2021
    This Spain vs Switzerland is an interesting one for me. I've got Switzerland over 7 tournament goals, and Spain over 13. A goal from Switzerland is a win, but I need 3 before tournament end for Spain. 
    3-1 Spain would obviously be nice, but I'm not even convinced they'll win. 

Edit: or maybe they will after that goal haha.
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 147
    TTony said:

1999 was the last time 11 English players started a match - John Gregory's Villa
    TBH, I’m surprised.  I assumed it would have been longer ago than that.
    I was surprised - can't find on Google the last time it was a UK/GB X1, just shows an English X1
    Could've sworn Burnley started with a full British/Irish 11 last year, 18/22 of their first team squad are Brit/Irish so it's possible. I'm not going to check every matchday lineup, though :)

They've swapped Alba's goal to an own goal from Zakaria. That must be frustrating for him.
  • sev112 said:
    Is this like the probability thread - we’ve got 50% chance of winning the Euros because every game is 50:50 , no matter how many games we have to play  

AlbertC said:
    This tournament is anyone's for the taking. Form, ranking, quality of players have had no bearing on result (okay, maybe except for North Macedonia ).
    Every game is 50/50
    Can England win? Yes...but it's equally conceivable that any other team left in the draw could.

Oops sorry @crunchman  you beat me to it :)

Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.