Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    sev112 said:
    Is this like the probability thread - we’ve got 50% chance of winning the Euros because every game is 50:50 , no matter how many games we have to play  

AlbertC said:
    This tournament is anyone's for the taking. Form, ranking, quality of players have had no bearing on result (okay, maybe except for North Macedonia ).
    Every game is 50/50
    Can England win? Yes...but it's equally conceivable that any other team left in the draw could.

Oops sorry @crunchman  you beat me to it :)

This is one of my fave wrestling clips of all time hahaha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    DefaultM said:
    They've swapped Alba's goal to an own goal from Zakaria. That must be frustrating for him.
    Yes, I don't get that. Looked to me as if Alba's shot was on target, so that should be his goal. Have they changed the definition of an OG? I see that in the Spain-Croatia game the first goal is now recorded as an OG by Pedri, when it clearly came off the keeper's leg.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe it's because it was on target but Sommer was positioned to be in the way, then Zakaria's leg deflected it to a different part of the goal?
    Well yes, perhaps, but my understanding has been that an OG is when a player diverts an otherwise missing shot into the goal. Alba's shot IMO was not missing. I suppose that's why I asked whether the definition has changed.
    I suspect it isn't consistent. There's a lot of confusion over what counts as a shot on target as well. I had one a bit ago in a Sheff Utd game where the ball was clearly off target, but they said that cos the keeper moved towards the ball it was on target. I didn't complain, but my friend who said McGoldrick would get no shots on target certainly did  :)
    I thought Spain's stats were looking good at the start. Just looked again now and there's been a red card for Switzerland yet it's 1-1.
    @DefaultM is this an issue in betting? It's not one of my vices, although I have others :-)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    DefaultM said:
    I thought Spain's stats were looking good at the start. Just looked again now and there's been a red card for Switzerland yet it's 1-1.
    Red card was after the goals although presumably it will cause problems for the Swiss in extra time. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    scrumhalf said:
    Why has Scottish football declined so badly? When I was a lad pretty much every first division team had at least one or more Scottish players, typically a large centre half, centre forward, winger or midfield dynamo. 

There are better players in other countries, players who can be persuaded (big money) to move to English clubs. What you said about the lack of Scottish players in the Premier League applies equally to Irish players. In days of old, most clubs had Scots and Irish in their teams week in week out. Another way of looking at this issue is to wonder how many English players play in the Premier League. In most clubs this would be low single digit numbers in their squad. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    proggy said:
    p90fool said:
    I think Italy looked pretty flakey tbh, I think England would be happy to meet them if they get to the final.  

I thought they played remarkably well until the Austria game. I wouldn't write them off.
    No, I wouldn't write them off either, but they looked beatable. 
    edited July 2021
    pigface said:
    @DefaultM is this an issue in betting? It's not one of my vices, although I have others :-)

I'm appalled most days haha. I used to put on a lot that were things like 'x goals/x cards/x corners', and the amount of times they would mark them as losers when they weren't. It's like they just test to see what they can get away with.

I know a few people that have cases in court with a bookie at the minute. They put out an in shop advert for 'boosted odds' on a group of teams all winning. They all won, but they refused to pay out, saying the odds were wrong and shouldn't have been so big. It was available to bet at those odds for 3 days.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12857
    Rocker said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Why has Scottish football declined so badly? When I was a lad pretty much every first division team had at least one or more Scottish players, typically a large centre half, centre forward, winger or midfield dynamo. 

There are better players in other countries, players who can be persuaded (big money) to move to English clubs. What you said about the lack of Scottish players in the Premier League applies equally to Irish players. In days of old, most clubs had Scots and Irish in their teams week in week out. Another way of looking at this issue is to wonder how many English players play in the Premier League. In most clubs this would be low single digit numbers in their squad. 
    There used to be a ratio where you needed I think it was 3 Scottish players in your team, any more was too many but to win anything you needed your quota. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    Looked a very harsh red card compared to many by the big teams in this comp that don’t even get yellows

the big teams are very “good” at :-</span>
    - rolling around in “pain” at nothing
    - professional fouls that don’t even get a yellow card as the lesser team starts a counter attack, so that the better team can get all their players behind the ball

football seriously has to do something about the latter, it is just unjust!  Should look at basketball - cumulative number of team fouls and then players go off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    p90fool said:
    proggy said:
    p90fool said:
    I think Italy looked pretty flakey tbh, I think England would be happy to meet them if they get to the final.  

I thought they played remarkably well until the Austria game. I wouldn't write them off.
    No, I wouldn't write them off either, but they looked beatable. 

Yeah, Whoever you meet at this stage will give you a tough game.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    Just following the match on the news feed - gone to penalties! Thats some result for the Swiss with ten men even if they lose. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    Gutted for the Swiss
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    Frustrating Swiss approach to penalties.
    with a keeper having to keep a foot on the line, the attacker just needs to hit it hard these days to have a substantial advantage.
    poor poor penalties 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    what a rubbish shoot-out. Sunday League material.
    DefaultM said:
    Red card was after the goals although presumably it will cause problems for the Swiss in extra time. 

77th minute though, you'd imagine a team with the quality of players Spain has would be able to take advantage in 13 minutes. Very odd tournament I've thought, but then so have the last 18 months of football in general.
    I've made perhaps 5000 positive expected value bets over that time 'worth' £5000 of 'value', and my actual profit is £300. Over that sample size I have been pretty unlucky.
    I only take bets with a certain percentage edge, only do a 10% Kelly stake, just so that if the edge is wrong it will still be positive value and I'm not chucking hundreds of pounds at bets. It's just so incredibly difficult to win money on football.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    sev112 said:
    Frustrating Swiss approach to penalties.
    with a keeper having to keep a foot on the line, the attacker just needs to hit it hard these days to have a substantial advantage.
    poor poor penalties 
    Definitely. Trying to be tricksy and passing it into the net is what sent them home.

At least if you blast it the keeper needs to be lucky as well as skillful.