Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2671
    Let's be honest UKR are not a good team. Denmark will be the first real test.
    You don’t think that Germany are a test but Denmark are?

Denmark lost to the first and only elite team they played, Belgium.

They look good but they look good against Wales, Czech Republic. Hardly elite teams. 

It’ll be a difficult game but Denmark aren’t Germany. 
    You're right... Denmark are a better team than Germany. The worst German team I've seen in my lifetime. Did you watch them against Hungary? The Danes were brilliant against the no 1 ranked team in the world. Granted they have performed against lesser teams but they are a team and do not have any so called superstars. It will be the biggest test yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10578
    edited July 2021
    Hmm. I can’t say I agree! Germany were absolutely the bigger test IMO. A bogey team for England, with history and pressure and the team that qualified in second in the group of death, and they are a world class team and always will be a test for England. 

Regardless of their performance, Denmark lost to Belgium, and have gone on to only play Wales who are one of the lowest rank teams in the tournament and Czech Republic who are nothing special. They look decent but I think that you’re overestimating them because of the standard of opponent they’ve played. They’re also without their star player. 

England have now beaten Croatian and Germany and smashed Ukraine. England should win and they should win comfortably. Whether they win is to be seen!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    If you'd said we'd beat Ukraine in normal time I'd be surprised. If you'd said we'd beat them 4 nil with that kind of composure I would've laughed.

Southgate deserves so much credit - he's managed this tournament perfectly so far. Not conceded a goal and rotated the squad well. The fact that we can call on players like Sancho, Mount, Grealish, Foden, Trippier, Chilwell, Saka, Henderson who may not start every game. The strength in depth is unheard of for an England team.

If we maintain composure and don't get complacent we have a real chance of going all the way. Exciting times!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011

England will beat Denmark. Their first big test will be in the final .

Come on England
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    dano said:
    sev112 said:
    How is Trent Alexander Arnold in Spain - he’s too young to have had 2 jabs .....? ;) 

When you earn £120k a week you can very easily charter a private jet to Marbella.

He's in a rehab clinic working on his fitness - he's not on holiday. I guess he's had COVID-19 tests.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    I’m pleased / impressed that not only has Southgate co si stent ly put some of our very good / best players on the bench and/or not even played them, he has even got them happy with that situation

Wasn’t quite the same in the “golden generation” where Scholes Gerrard Lampard (and prob a few others too) were fighting for a couple of places .
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    My impression of Ukraine was that they were relying on  a few star players and seemed to have poor organisation. England held the midfield rather than that area just in front of their own goal which they previously seemed to think was the midfield and did none of that pass back to the goalkeeper stuff. 
    I think that’s England’s record score line at the Euros as well as the record clean sheets in a row at the competition? 

Pickford made a mistake but nothing came of it and he’s been on form otherwise throughout. It would really be nit picking to find anything to complain about England’s performance last night. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    Pickford did save a couple of good shots from Ukraine. I guess being the Everton keeper he gets plenty of practice in the PL with such a poor defence in front of him !
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    Fretwired said:
    dano said:
    sev112 said:
    How is Trent Alexander Arnold in Spain - he’s too young to have had 2 jabs .....? ;) 

When you earn £120k a week you can very easily charter a private jet to Marbella.

He's in a rehab clinic working on his fitness - he's not on holiday. I guess he's had COVID-19 tests.
    It's a great example of money allows you to bend the rules.

TAA could easily have got his rehab in the UK, official Gov policy for travel to Spain is "all but essential travel". TTA and Liverpool will likely justify it as the best rehab is in Marbella. 

I say this as a life long Liverpool fan (from Merseyside).
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2671
    Pickford has been one of the stand-outs so far. He has saved everything (not much agreed) that has come at him. There is always a mistake in him but so far he has been excellent. 
  • I wanted to continue being cynical because it's the healthiest approach to England - but got to be honest, they're growing into it at the right time. There's plenty in form or come into it enough so that you'd say they have a good squad not just an 11 that picks itself. Into a semi final with plenty fit, firing, not suspended etc.

It's still Italy for me though. They could be hurt losing their left back, but they're so well put together in their attacking patterns for an international team with a manager who's only had a short time to do so. Think if it comes down to an Italy v England final we'd really be finding out just how good Rice and Phillips are playing against their midfield and forwards.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    You don’t think that Germany are a test but Denmark are?

Denmark lost to the first and only elite team they played, Belgium.

They look good but they look good against Wales, Czech Republic. Hardly elite teams. 

It’ll be a difficult game but Denmark aren’t Germany. 
    You're right... Denmark are a better team than Germany. The worst German team I've seen in my lifetime. Did you watch them against Hungary? The Danes were brilliant against the no 1 ranked team in the world. Granted they have performed against lesser teams but they are a team and do not have any so called superstars. It will be the biggest test yet.
    Germany seem very unpredictable at the moment, they beat Portugal 4-2 and drew with Denmark in a friendly (Germany bossed the possession, shots on target etc).  But they also lost to North Macedonia in a world cup qualifier. Take away the history and emotion and they are a pretty average team at the moment, who will get better and more consistent by the time the world cup starts.

Denmark seem solid, team spirit obviously high and looking good.  They beat us at Wembley last year so I don’t think it will be easy.  But then again England are unbeaten and not let any goals in yet and should be favourites, just.  There were no fans at the last game so a home crowd this time will certainly help.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    Pickford has been one of the stand-outs so far. He has saved everything (not much agreed) that has come at him. There is always a mistake in him but so far he has been excellent. 
    I agree he has been excellent

there were rather serious “mistakes” at important times by Shilton (Poland long ago), Carson or Robison (back pass through their legs that bounced off a bump just before he kicked I), Robert Green, Seaman (question - what do Dani and an Elephant have in common ? They can bot(blob semen/Seaman from 30 yards), and I’m sure there are more.  I can’t think of any Clemence, or Woods (but I don’t think he played very long)

so in my books Pickford is a very very good keeper for us
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    So where was all the pro England noise coming from if there were no fans?
    Rome sounded like a home game to me. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    edited July 2021
    p90fool said:
    There was only a quarantine ban on fans actually coming over from England so those already in Italy or other countries could get to the game. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    p90fool said:
    I think the neutral Italians got behind England as the game went on as they were playing better football was the impression I got. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    p90fool said:

Apparently, the Germans were supporting England.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Ukraine were very poor.  England really should have gone in at half time three up.  Amazingly Ukraine could have equalised just before half time.  The two quick goals killed the game as a contest, Ukraine hardly bothered after it became three zero.

Next up is Denmark.  The Danes did well playing against attacking teams, I wonder how they will fare against an ultra defensive team like England.

Still, I expect the final will be between Italy and England.  When Kane gets goal scoring chances, he scores most of the time.  So the obvious strategy is to give Kane goal scoring chances.  Sterling could help in this regard as he is quick with the ball at his feet.  Alas he tends to be brainless when he reaches the crossing zone.  The Italian defence will not let him run through them but he could provide opportunities for Kane.  This might be the best way to beat Italy.

Otherwise, win the penalty shootout.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    There were just over 11k in the Stadio Olimpico. Just under half were English ex-pats on the continent who got tickets and were allowed in. The rest were a mix of Ukrainians, Germans (who bought before they got knocked out) and Italians. 

R5L was suggesting the Germans and Italians were supporting England as it seems they both dislike the Ukrainians even more than us. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom