Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    Snap said:
    I think England could beat Italy. I think we will tonk Denmark tonight. Italy aren't that good and Spain have been terrible really. People talk about how Italy are unbeaten for ages, but the list of teams they have played is very mixed, and tbh it doesn't really count for much once a tournament has started.
    Italy have been patchy through this tournament whereas England have been better every game and haven't let a single goal in. We are also ranked 4th in the world (for what that's worth).

I'm expecting an open game tonight, end to end and will go out on a limb and say we will beat the Danes 3-0. They aren't a brilliant side, and they aren't as good as us. We should be confident. It won't be a walk over, but I can see us getting a decisive win. We aren't complacent, but we can be very confident. Scored 6 goals in our last two games, the players are on fire and have the confident platform of 5 clean sheets and a home game with 60,000 in tonight.

If football doesn't come home this time it can chuffing move out for good!

Get in boys.
    Italy have a history of winning the big games and tournaments when it counts. England don't. I did expect them to beat Spain easily last night though, so shows what I know!
    One of the great things about this England team is that they don't have our typical baggage. They are really young and have no chips on shoulders or obsession with past performances and disappointments. Finally, hopefully, we are stopping talking about things that happened decades ago. They feel and look like a completely new version of England that has no resemblance to what we are used to.  It's the rest of us that can't let things go.

For now, I am looking forward to beating the Danes. That's job 1, Italy are not in our vision yet - big job tonight first. One I think we will win. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1532
    For England and for Denmark, it’s there for the taking I guess. Football might yet be coming home to Denmark 30 yrs later 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    Snap said:
    One of the great things about this England team is that they don't have our typical baggage. They are really young and have no chips on shoulders or obsession with past performances and disappointments. Finally, hopefully, we are stopping talking about things that happened decades ago. They feel and look like a completely new version of England that has no resemblance to what we are used to.  It's the rest of us that can't let things go.

For now, I am looking forward to beating the Danes. That's job 1, Italy are not in our vision yet - big job tonight first. One I think we will win. 
    I think GH can take a lot of praise for this, in that we appear to have a game plan, and the right people in place to carry out such a game plan - We've all seen many England teams full of Premier League stars but no direction and many many inept performances 

I think if we beat Denmark tonight, then against Italy he won't turn it into a basketball match whereby both sides just take it on and attack in an open game - I think he will be prepared to let Italy have the ball for the greater part and take them on with fast breaks as and when - So he will be very controlled and tight - For sure the Italians would test us but if we can keep them at nil, then we are in with a shout
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited July 2021
    Duplicate
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    You can be excited without coming out with tripe like "italy's defence is woeful". 

all I’ll say is, if you let pure emotion dictate your opinion on football matters you’ve lost all credibility in my book ;) 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    I think we'll beat the Danes tonight but an England-Italy final will be close to unpredictable in terms of the winner. It will probably come down to the mental side of things, who has the bigger balls on the day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    One scary aspect of the game tonight is that the UK media and a lot here assume that England will dispose of Denmark easily.  That may well happen but it is a mistake to presume it will happen.

Denmark are a team possessed.  Each player is giving more than 100% for Christian.  A motivation like that is hard to contain.  An assumption, even a fraction of 1%, by the England team, that the job has been done can be fatal.  And Denmark are not in new territory, they won Euro before.

Saying all that I expect England to get through but it won't be easy.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    scrumhalf said:
    I think we'll beat the Danes tonight but an England-Italy final will be close to unpredictable in terms of the winner. It will probably come down to the mental side of things, who has the bigger balls on the day.
    I agree 

or a VAR decision which is clearly wrong or something of that ilk
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    Replace Shearer with a parrot for Lineker. Cheaper and likeable.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12857
    Rocker said:
    One scary aspect of the game tonight is that the UK media and a lot here assume that England will dispose of Denmark easily.  That may well happen but it is a mistake to presume it will happen.

Denmark are a team possessed.  Each player is giving more than 100% for Christian.  A motivation like that is hard to contain.  An assumption, even a fraction of 1%, by the England team, that the job has been done can be fatal.  And Denmark are not in new territory, they won Euro before.

I haven’t seen that, a few on here think it will be straightforward but most I speak to and on here think it will be hard tonight. The media are constantly saying we aren’t in the final yet. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Rocker said:

This Denmark team is in new territory. They have not been to a major tournament semi before. This England team has a good chunk of players who were involved in Russia and have that feeling of disappointment to push them through.

I am never quite sure why people think historical events impact the current team. The supporters, yes, but hopefully not the players.

But, yeah, this one is not a forgone conclusion. Given recent results, Denmark ought to be the favorites.
  • Why am I seeing so many Scottish/Welsh/Irish fans on social media supporting Denmark?

It's so petty. I could never imagine switching allegiances just to spite a neighbouring country. Very small and defeatist mentality in my opinion.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    Snap said:

I think GH can take a lot of praise for this, in that we appear to have a game plan, and the right people in place to carry out such a game plan - We've all seen many England teams full of Premier League stars but no direction and many many inept performances 

I think if we beat Denmark tonight, then against Italy he won't turn it into a basketball match whereby both sides just take it on and attack in an open game - I think he will be prepared to let Italy have the ball for the greater part and take them on with fast breaks as and when - So he will be very controlled and tight - For sure the Italians would test us but if we can keep them at nil, then we are in with a shout
    I know

tha. How Italy play be too -‘could be interesting .,.. or not ;)
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
    Why am I seeing so many Scottish/Welsh/Irish fans on social media supporting Denmark?

It's so petty. I could never imagine switching allegiances just to spite a neighbouring country. Very small and defeatist mentality in my opinion.

It's less about the English team and more about the English media.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    sev112 said:
    Snap said:

I know

tha. How Italy play be too -‘could be interesting .,.. or not ;)
    Someone's started early....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12857
    Rocker said:

This Denmark team is in new territory. They have not been to a major tournament semi before. This England team has a good chunk of players who were involved in Russia and have that feeling of disappointment to push them through.

I am never quite sure why people think historical events impact the current team. The supporters, yes, but hopefully not the players.

But, yeah, this one is not a forgone conclusion. Given recent results, Denmark ought to be the favorites.
    What about when they won the euro's? or do you mean this specific group pf players?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Why am I seeing so many Scottish/Welsh/Irish fans on social media supporting Denmark?

If you want the answer, go and ask Everton fans who they support when Liverpool play in the Champions league. Or Celtic fans who they support when Rangers play in Europe. Or Barcelona fans when Madrid have a game. 

@kuro is also right though, a large part of it is driven by the media. Imagine what it would be like to be a Fulham supporter but have 95% of your football journalism delivered by Chelsea TV.  This is what it's like to be Scots/Welsh/Northern Irish during a major tournament. The total lack of objectivity is understandable but absolutely tedious for those of us not bought into the hype. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    Snap said:
    I haven't half heard some utter shite in the last week from people who should know better.

it's called excitement!!
    You can be excited without coming out with tripe like "italy's defence is woeful". 

Who said that? However, given the largely tripe they've faced before this tournament, you could justifiably argue that their defence hasn't been overly tested in a long time.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    edited July 2021
    Snap said:
    Snap said:
    I haven't half heard some utter shite in the last week from people who should know better.

it's called excitement!!

Who said that? However, given the largely tripe they've faced before this tournament, you could justifiably argue that their defence hasn't been overly tested in a long time.
    Couple of pages back.

I'd find it for you but my eyes have only just stopped bleeding after reading it the first time. :-D
  • yockyyocky Frets: 840
    Just seen a guide to who to support tonight on twitter

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom