Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7405
    edited July 2021
    yocky said:
    Just seen a guide to who to support tonight on twitter

Oh so the Vikings never took the Wirral eh? That explains a lot.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    tony99 said:
    yocky said:
    Just seen a guide to who to support tonight on twitter

Oh so the Vikings never took the Wirral eh? That explains a lot.
    They decided against it after someone there lifted the wheels off a couple of their chariots....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2981
    Excellent, I have a reason to sit in the fence now :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9105
    Swamp or Alluvium for the cup.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Why am I seeing so many Scottish/Welsh/Irish fans on social media supporting Denmark?

It's so petty. I could never imagine switching allegiances just to spite a neighbouring country. Very small and defeatist mentality in my opinion.
    I am Irish but don’t count me as someone who is supporting Denmark against England. I don’t use social media, unless tFB is counted as social media, and I think England will get through tonight and beat Italy in the final. Or win by a penalty shootout. 

So calm down and just enjoy the occasion. Your neighbours are supporting you and why not, we follow English football clubs. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    munckee said:
    Rocker said:

This Denmark team is in new territory. They have not been to a major tournament semi before. This England team has a good chunk of players who were involved in Russia and have that feeling of disappointment to push them through.

I am never quite sure why people think historical events impact the current team. The supporters, yes, but hopefully not the players.

But, yeah, this one is not a forgone conclusion. Given recent results, Denmark ought to be the favorites.
    What about when they won the euro's? or do you mean this specific group pf players?
    This specific group of players.

Denmark winning 30 years ago and England winning the WC 60 years ago has no bearing on the experience of these 2 teams in major tournament semi finals.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Rocker said:
     Your neighbours are supporting you and why not, we follow English football clubs. 
    Speak for yourself.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Rocker said:
     Your neighbours are supporting you and why not, we follow English football clubs. 
    Speak for yourself.  

oh yes I had forgoton Scotland was also in the competion. It seems such a long time ago
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    edited July 2021
    phil_b said:
    Rocker said:
    Speak for yourself.  

oh yes I had forgoton Scotland was also in the competion. It seems such a long time ago
    Can't blame you. I'd be desperate to forget being second best to a team eight million points below you in the rankings too. 

In all seriousness though, surely we can all agree that Scots / Welsh / Irish who "support" English club sides are proper wrong 'uns? 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12857
    phil_b said:
    Rocker said:
    Speak for yourself.  

Can't blame you. I'd be desperate to forget being second best to a team eight million points below you in the rankings too. 

In all seriousness though, surely we can all agree that Scots / Welsh / Irish who "support" English club sides are proper wrong 'uns? 
    You are only allowed to support the closest league team to you that’s the law
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    phil_b said:
    Rocker said:
    Speak for yourself.  

Hey we don’t make claims to be world beaters , just happy to be in the tournament for a change ( and we probably should have beat England ) 

I wish I could support England unfortunately the media make that impossible. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    phil_b said:
    Rocker said:
    Speak for yourself.  

Hey we don’t make claims to be world beaters , just happy to be in the tournament for a change ( and we probably should have beat England ) 

I wish I could support England unfortunately the media make that impossible. 

I was in Edinburgh the night Beckham was sent off when we lost to Argentina (WC 1998) - Watched in a bar and might as well have been in Buenos Aires - It wasn't an unsafe place to be - It was not nasty or anything like that and some good banter at times - But they sure as hell let you know they were not on your side - In fact 2 Scottish lads brought me some beers after the match, to drown the sorrows and I think they actual enjoyed seeing the hurt and sorrow as I had another drink 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2981
    Why am I seeing so many Scottish/Welsh/Irish fans on social media supporting Denmark?

It's so petty. I could never imagine switching allegiances just to spite a neighbouring country. Very small and defeatist mentality in my opinion.
    If you want the answer, go and ask Everton fans who they support when Liverpool play in the Champions league. Or Celtic fans who they support when Rangers play in Europe. Or Barcelona fans when Madrid have a game. 

@kuro is also right though, a large part of it is driven by the media. Imagine what it would be like to be a Fulham supporter but have 95% of your football journalism delivered by Chelsea TV.  This is what it's like to be Scots/Welsh/Northern Irish during a major tournament. The total lack of objectivity is understandable but absolutely tedious for those of us not bought into the hype. 

Except what would one expect - Everton aren’t in the Champions League so it’s nonsense to think that media will cover Everton’s prospects, performances, teams selection.
    the meeja were totally supporting Scotland and Wales while they were still in, and bloomin good luck to them as they don’t get there very often so it’s nice to see

but to have a chip on one’s shoulder because your team didn’t get there but your neighbours did, and surprise surprise the media and the locals want to support is a bitnqesk
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1532

Have a guess. I suppose the same reasons, or for some, we saw the England fans "lovin it!" last weekend when they beat Germany. "10 German bombers" and all that crap.
    I do find it hilarious the way Irish will support EPL teams but not support for England. I'm indifferent to it. I don't really follow any football team anymore and only tune into full games the odd time. I got lucky with last night's game.
    I don't go looking for examples of English media hyping up the England team to offend myself.
    I think Kasper summed it up well.
    I don't care who wins the tournament. Easy for me being Irish, as we'll never be near the semi final of any tournament in football for the foreseable future :persevere: 
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 679
    sev112 said:

If you want the answer, go and ask Everton fans who they support when Liverpool play in the Champions league. Or Celtic fans who they support when Rangers play in Europe. Or Barcelona fans when Madrid have a game. 

@kuro is also right though, a large part of it is driven by the media. Imagine what it would be like to be a Fulham supporter but have 95% of your football journalism delivered by Chelsea TV.  This is what it's like to be Scots/Welsh/Northern Irish during a major tournament. The total lack of objectivity is understandable but absolutely tedious for those of us not bought into the hype. 

Except what would one expect - Everton aren’t in the Champions League so it’s nonsense to think that media will cover Everton’s prospects, performances, teams selection.
    the meeja were totally supporting Scotland and Wales while they were still in, and bloomin good luck to them as they don’t get there very often so it’s nice to see

but to have a chip on one’s shoulder because your team didn’t get there but your neighbours did, and surprise surprise the media and the locals want to support is a bitnqesk
    FFS.... Missed the point completely.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    So nervous.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2510
    Well, at least they won’t have far to go home…….!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Well. That was a rather impressive free kick by Denmark!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's what happens when it takes half the starting lineup a whole 30 minutes to realise the game has started.

Wake up.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.