Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    edited July 2021

It's coming gnome!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Interesting…

https://i.imgur.com/BHc5yG3.png

“…. eagle-eyed viewers have noticed that there may have been a bit of foul play from a fan at Wembley for the spot kick, with images showing a green laser shining on the Leicester goalkeeper’s face prior to Kane’s strike.”

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    2 balls on the pitch 
    very soft penalty 
    Kane had more dives than Pickford 
    only one game away from Wembley 

the cards have all fallen very favourably for England. 

Thought Delaney was the best player on the pitch  last night and Denmark were probably just edging it till he went off. 

Feel for Denmark, to go out to such a shitty penalty has gotta hurt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    2 balls on the pitch 
    very soft penalty 
    Kane had more dives than Pickford 
    only one game away from Wembley 

the cards have all fallen very favourably for England. 

Thought Delaney was the best player on the pitch  last night and Denmark were probably just edging it till he went off. 

Feel for Denmark, to go out to such a shitty penalty has gotta hurt. 
    Sport is built on lucky moments and dodgy decisions. The key is to take advantage of them.

Winning free kicks has become an art form for the modern player. As have cynical fouls to Stop counter attacks early. They are all at it and unless the governing bodies stamp on it, it won't go away.

I actually think the refs in this tournament have tended to let fouls go if the fouled team is retaining the ball. I think the games have been much better for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    Well done England. The boys did well.

Pretty stressful, but it wouldn’t be the same otherwise. 

Some of the saltiness in this thread is amusing.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1532
    edited July 2021
    Fretwired said:
    What Southgate has done is exactly that - no egos, no tantrums, just one team. Happy playing, happy coming on as a sub, happy going off - all part of the big team picture. 

Tonight I saw an England team with grit, fight, determination, able to deal with setbacks, able to manage a match, but most importantly able to grab opportunities and hold on to them. 

That’s what wins tournaments. 
    ^^

This.

The Italians will be a sterner test. Should be a great final.

Yep. Italy will be the ultimate test. Best in the tournament overall so far. 

However, The final is a different beast - the Italians have the potential to get a bit emotional and annoyed, and if our boys keep their heads and manage to combine the courage, control and headspace they had tonight with the attacking drive and play from the Ukraine match then they could just do it. 

I can’t say I think we will get battered. Neither can I say I think we will win - and that’s what will make it a great game on Sunday 
    Wow. Italians being “emotional and annoyed”. (insert stereotype here) Why would they ? They’ve been in more finals than England . if anything it’s england who might get carried away....
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited July 2021
    Wow, I'm shocked we've done it, however I'm also mightily impressed and happy we have. As mentioned above the saltiness is impressive since the win though. 

We were the best team, we had some decisions go for us, others against us, that's top level sport. We were no less cynical in attack and defence than Italy or Spain were the night before, that's the modern game and it's about time we joined them as we can't beat them by moaning about it. Best team won, it's pretty simple. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1844
    What a night! 
    Denmark made a hell of a fight of it, they were brave and gave everything but in the end I think the best team won. 
    If Wales, Scotland or Ireland ever made it to a final then as an Englishman I would be supporting them whole heartedly. I get some of the British rivalry to a point but some take it too far. It just comes across as what it is really…pure and simple jealousy.  

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5731
    Fair play to England, they deserve to be in the final. That Sterling can fairly move, huh?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7406
    Interesting…

https://i.imgur.com/BHc5yG3.png

“…. eagle-eyed viewers have noticed that there may have been a bit of foul play from a fan at Wembley for the spot kick, with images showing a green laser shining on the Leicester goalkeeper’s face prior to Kane’s strike.”

Given that he saved the initial penalty it was probably his dad showing him which way to dive.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 355
    Congratulations to England FC who actually look and play like a conditioned team and not just a group of individuals. I think the introduction of St George’s Park in preparing the youth to be technically comfortable and prepared for youth tournament wins has certainly helped the development of this young team.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited July 2021
    monkey42 said:
    Congratulations to England FC who actually look and play like a conditioned team and not just a group of individuals. I think the introduction of St George’s Park in preparing the youth to be technically comfortable and prepared for youth tournament wins has certainly helped the development of this young team.
    Gareth deserves a lot of the credit for that too, it's a team, not a collection of players with massive egos. They've been winning since the youth teams and know how to do it. It's pretty remarkable tbh and we had Southgate as Boro manager, was never impressed. As an international manager he's done better than the big names we've employed in the past, with arguably less world class players. Can't argue with that, and I was a doubter at the beginning of the tournament.

He's made me eat my words, good times!!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    Great semi final. Both teams were immense and can hold their heads up high.
    Soft free kick for the first goal and soft penalty….so a soft goal for each team evens things out I guess.
    Its great to reach a final so the pressure should be off the England team to some degree. They just need to go and enjoy it now.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2510
    russpm said:
    Soft free kick for the first goal and soft penalty….so a soft goal for each team evens things out I guess.
    Its great to reach a final so the pressure should be off the England team to some degree. They just need to go and enjoy it now.
    Not sure I understand - the Danes scored from a ‘soft’ free kick?

Were you watching at half speed? That was a belter!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    Great semi final - Both were great games - Denmark can go home with so much credibility - Both semi's could have gone either way 

Was surprised Denmark took  off Damsgaard so early, but what a strike for his goal

Soft penalty and thought the Kane penalty had more going for it - But you have to take advantage of what you are presented with

Great work ethic by the team and this is a major asset for us 

Looking forward to Sunday - We've had 55 years of no joy - Lost a few semi's - But we have a 100% record in major finals so let's keep the ball rolling 
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    FarleyUK said:
    russpm said:
    Not sure I understand - the Danes scored from a ‘soft’ free kick?

Were you watching at half speed? That was a belter!
    Think what @russpm means is that it was a debatable free kick to give away.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Very exciting, very tense. The furthest England have reached in a major competition since I was a baby. 

Sterling was still running like a whippet until 120 minutes, he has mind boggling stamina. 

I didn't understand putting Grealish on just to take him off again. Seemed waste of a fresh pair of legs if nothing else and England immediately lost their rhythm. 

Not a great night for Pickford, crap passes out but he had been impeachable until now so let's hope he regains his composure for the weekend. 

The Danes using subs too early seemed an obvious mistake and it was. I don't see the Italians doing that. 

Shame it's going to be the Italians really, their level of twatty gamesmanship isn't attractive even if it gets results. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    To be fair to Pickford some of the passes back to him were not the best... The Danes put a lot of pressure on the defence and it all got a bit hurried.

Good preparation for Italy and something to work on.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2671
    Let's be honest UKR are not a good team. Denmark will be the first real test.
    Well I did call it... Now get back to your day jobs laughing boys  ;)
  • This tournament must've cost the average Scotland fan a month's wages with all the shirts they've had to buy.

Oh, and it's coming home.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.