John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot

Comments

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    edited June 2021
    Redlester said:
    I’ve never knowingly heard this yank’s music, but this thread is a good laugh. 

But why on earth would he pen a homage to mid 80s Clapton, as this is described as? Whatever next? Giving speeches in favour in Enoch Powell?  
    To be honest JM has said his fair share of weird shit in interviews. I am surprised he didn't get mentioned when all this cancelling artist stuff happened

Whatever was he smoking or doing before this interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/feb/11/john-mayer-playboy-interview

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1084
    Music for people who don't like music.

But more seriously, talented guy. Great student clearly.

PRS guitars look very small? That pink one looks terrible.

Nice to see Maren Morris at the end of the video there.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    The Silver Sky's do look small on him don't they. 
    Just watched the Mary Spender videos and the whole thing is clearly a PRS set up but all good fun. 

One thing it does show is the difference between us home players and the real thing. There is nothing especially different about Mayer's song and Spender's version of the song (or Spender's logical thinking or imagining of the song) except that "it" thing that all the best musicians have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    I like JM, but this just sounds like 80s pop shite.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3544
    Holy hell, that's awful. And I really like a lot of 80's music. 

Actually worse than Clapton. There's something I never thought I'd say. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Redlester said:

But why on earth would he pen a homage to mid 80s Clapton, as this is described as? Whatever next? Giving speeches in favour in Enoch Powell?  
    To be honest JM has said his fair share of weird shit in interviews. I am surprised he didn't get mentioned when all this cancelling artist stuff happened

Maybe he simply isn't a tall enough poppy to cut down yet. If he gets any bigger his time might come... 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Redlester said:

I guess that's why he's so comfortable aping Clapton.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Wow that is one insane interview... What a douche. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I watched the video. I have no problem with 80s production at all and it's clearly an homage to 80s Clapton, which is pretty weird in itself, but whatever floats your boat! However, the song really isn't at all memorable, and the playing isn't that impressive either. Also, who's it aimed at? Only guitar nerds will get the Clapton references (vibrato, tone, Soldanos, licks). 
    edited June 2021
    How much do you think PRS pay him? Six figures a year? The PRS Strats look awful and he wouldn't be anywhere near them if they didn't offer him the dosh. Does he still play Fenders live?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    LPManic said:
    How much do you think PRS pay him? Six figures a year? The PRS Strats look awful and he wouldn't be anywhere near them if they didn't offer him the dosh. Does he still play Fenders live?
    Mainly the silver sky live. Uses his Fender for one or two songs. His sideman guitarist also used the silver sky for most of the gig in 2019.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    LPManic said:
    Have you played a Silver Sky?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    PC_Dave said:
    LPManic said:
    Do you think that if he did, he would stop thinking they looked awful?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Hattigol said:
    PC_Dave said:
    LPManic said:
    Do you think that if he did, he would stop thinking they looked awful?
    I don't know, would it? Was I saying that?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 83
    Dominic said:
    Great Player ,great songwriter
    Terrible,awful Song .........he should be ashamed of this Phil Collins 1990 type crap

No he shouldn't....it's great!!!!! I'm loving it.

And what's with the with all the vitriol about Clapton's 80s tone?....a Strat and a Soldano sounds bloody good IMO  =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    PC_Dave said:
    LPManic said:
    Do you think Mayer played one before they threw megabucks at him?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26973
    LPManic said:
    PC_Dave said:
    LPManic said:
    Well they designed it together, so no. But he went straight to PRS after Fender fired his mate in the CS (I forget who it was - Mike Eldred?). The story goes that he specced and played the Super Eagle for his first Dead &Co gigs and enjoyed that process enough that they went on to collaborate on the Silver Sky design to make the perfect "Strat"

Having a decent idea of the two personalities I can 100% believe that narrative - both more than a bit fanatical about tiny detail
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    PC_Dave said:
    LPManic said:
    Well they designed it together, so no. But he went straight to PRS after Fender fired his mate in the CS (I forget who it was - Mike Eldred?). The story goes that he specced and played the Super Eagle for his first Dead &Co gigs and enjoyed that process enough that they went on to collaborate on the Silver Sky design to make the perfect "Strat"

Having a decent idea of the two personalities I can 100% believe that narrative - both more than a bit fanatical about tiny detail
    Thanks for sharing that! Very interesting!